Spyder Garage

Default spyder transport

I have a '17 spyder RT limited , Looking for someone to haul it to FL. in Nov. Anyone know of a good motorcycle transport co.? Going from upstate NY to Orange City,FL. in Nov. Thanks!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shoppersal View Post
    I have a '17 spyder RT limited , Looking for someone to haul it to FL. in Nov. Anyone know of a good motorcycle transport co.? Going from upstate NY to Orange City,FL. in Nov. Thanks!!
    Have you looked into the "Car Train" that Amtrak has ??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Have you looked into the "Car Train" that Amtrak has ??

Last time I knew they quit taking spyders. they will let you take a 2 wheeler but no spyders.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Check out these discussions.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...=haulbikes.com

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...=haulbikes.com

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Last time I knew they quit taking spyders. they will let you take a 2 wheeler but no spyders.
    That makes no sense at all.
    What about other "trikes" ??

Spyder Garage

What about other "trikes" ??[/QUOTE]

Not sure about other trikes. Checked website & says no spyders! If they accepted the spyders would do that route. they stopped taking spyders last year. I know friends that wante to go to the 10th anniversary in Canada & was going to take amtrack but when they found out they wouldn't take spydes they had to cancel their trip

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I strongly suggest www.uship.com. Put it up for auction, shoose the guy/gal with the best insurance, rig, reputation, price and it will get done.
    You get to tell them when and where for pick up and delivery, they don't get the money until you give them a secret code that UShip gives to you.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Have you thought of asking if there's anyone willing to ryde it down for you?? Maybe they could leave a few days before you so they get there around the same time you want your Spyder there?? There's a good chance you could negotiate a bit on the price; afterall, they would be getting to ryde your Spyder for quite a few miles thru some pretty interesting country?!

Sure, you might need to draw up an agreement & discuss or negotiate & document responsibilities for costs etc, but this sort of thing used to happen a LOT in the past - maybe it was a more trusting age, but back a few decades I saw a heap of my country & a fair bit of yours & some others from the 'driver/riders' seat of other people's vehicles - vehicles that they wanted to get from where they were to somewhere else cheaply, reliably, & often fairly quickly... so I took them, had a great drive/ride & generally shared the costs, but sometimes even got paid (generally by a company or Govt Authority) wanting a vehicle moved... Go on, it might be a lot easier than you'd think to arrange it! And both you & the person doing the ryding could end up getting what you want when you want it!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

That makes no sense at all.
    What about other "trikes" ??
    If you go to the Amtrak website, and search for some YouTube videos, it does make sense. M/c's are mounted on wheeled dollies with the front wheel locked into a cradle. There are three cradles at the front of the dolly. They can carry two two wheelers or one conventional trike on a dolly. The cradles aren't spaced or designed for the front wheels of a Spyder and the Spyder rear wheel is too large or inconveniently located inside the Spyder frame to fit in a cradle. The dollies are loaded onto the Amtrak car the same as a car. There are only two ramps on and off and in between the rail cars so no trike can be loaded the same as a four wheel car.

Amtrak will have to build special dollies for the Spyders and until there is sufficient demand for the service they aren't going to build them.

If Elios ever get built Amtrak won't be able to haul them either until they have a special dolly to put them on.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 09-23-2017 at 10:22 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    The cradles aren't spaced or designed for the front wheels of a Spyder

Excellent information. Thank you.

This begs the question: Why is any kind of "cradle" required for a vehicle with 3 wheels ??
    What about a tiny LITTLE car.....with 3 or 4 wheels ?
    Why can't a spyder be secured the same way that a Smart Car would be ??

Oh......and some "conventional" trikes have different wheel spacing too.

Now that you have explained it, I understand their bureaucratic standard answer.......but I think there might be a better answer.

Spyder Garage

Could the cradle or wheeled pallet be necessary because THEY wheel it on and off the train, and not the owner?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by classicvw View Post
    Could the cradle or wheeled pallet be necessary because THEY wheel it on and off the train, and not the owner?
    Excellent information. Thank you.

This begs the question: Why is any kind of "cradle" required for a vehicle with 3 wheels ??
    What about a tiny LITTLE car.....with 3 or 4 wheels ?
    Why can't a spyder be secured the same way that a Smart Car would be ??

Oh......and some "conventional" trikes have different wheel spacing too.

Now that you have explained it, I understand their bureaucratic standard answer.......but I think there might be a better answer.
    A dolly is necessary for bikes because the loading ramps, which are the same ramps that go from car to car, are only about 1 to 1 1/2 feet wide and are spaced for car track width. There are only two so there is no place for a third trike wheel to travel on.

In preping a train to travel time is money. The cradles offer a quick uniform way to lock bikes in place and with conventional trikes the front wheel is the same as a two wheel bike.

They may not take Smart cars if the tire track is a lot narrower than most other cars and won't fit the ramp spacing.

2014 Copper RTS