Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Someone compared the 2018 H-D line up. 10 new models. Really? The bike of the year was given to the touring line, not the 10 'new' models. The new models were platform consolidation while maintaining styling cues.

BRP has many different platforms, with the Spyder, off road, and full watercraft line up. Our beloved platform, the Spyder, may not have been the priority this year. In case you haven't noticed, other brands anniversary models have been around paint and badging. Was it a great year? Perhaps not in your minds. Was it a year to push the brand forward? Absolutely!

The Can-Am Spyder is the safest, most stable 3-wheel platform that still feels like a motorcycle. With a fair amount of performance to-boot.

Personally, I like that they have a blue F3-S.

Enjoy the ryde!
    Wayne
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

Default 300 HP..boat.

BRP makes a 300 horsepower 1550cc turbo for a personal watercraft. I really thought they would have that engine available for the '18 lineup.
    Not too upset about it though, I kinda like my '14.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Let's face it Dan:
    If the Spyders had 1,200 horsepower, weighed 27 pounds, cornered at 2Gs, and got 450 mpg: you'd STILL want more!

Spyder Garage

Default changes

After completing a 5000 mile trip with 2 Harleys I find think the thing most lacking is cruising speed rpm. Harleys an run 80 at 3000 rpm or less and my Spyder requires 4000 or more.
    Needless to say they " out cruise me " Other than that it is fine ( except for the gear noise at 43 mph.
    Spyder performed exceptionally well on it's maiden voyage.
    Tip
    [SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin2488485 View Post
    Take a look at the New Yamaha Venture, now that’s a upgrade, I have a 2015 RT, lov the bike but come on, first thing you have to do is have it laser aligned so you can drive it, then the 70 mph vribration, poor MPG compared to other Touring bikes, no Bluetooth upgrades to choose from, have to set and wait for the Nanny to boot up, non of these nagging thing have been addressed as far as I know so BRP could and should fix these problems! So if I were to buy a new bike it will not be a new spyder, I will be looking at the new venture, I owned a older venture and I did like it.

Ride safe
    RE: New Venture--Yes again. That is a nice one. I had an original Venture back in the early 80's. It fit me better than a GW so that was my ride for about three years. The seat height on the new one is an inch to high for my comfort level. I can't reach the floor with two feet.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pauly1 View Post
    Someone compared the 2018 H-D line up. 10 new models. Really? The bike of the year was given to the touring line, not the 10 'new' models. The new models were platform consolidation while maintaining styling cues.

BRP has many different platforms, with the Spyder, off road, and full watercraft line up. Our beloved platform, the Spyder, may not have been the priority this year. In case you haven't noticed, other brands anniversary models have been around paint and badging. Was it a great year? Perhaps not in your minds. Was it a year to push the brand forward? Absolutely!

The Can-Am Spyder is the safest, most stable 3-wheel platform that still feels like a motorcycle. With a fair amount of performance to-boot.

Personally, I like that they have a blue F3-S.

Enjoy the ryde!
    Wayne
    FYI: From Rider Magazine, Page 14, Oct 2017 issue: "Last year, HD launched the Milwaukee 8, the ninth generation of its Big Twin, an eight valve, 45 degree V-twin available in 107ci or 114ci... The new engine powers every model in the 2017 Touring lineup... Duly impressed, for the first time in 27 years we awarded Rider's 2017 MOTY to the entire Milwaukee-Eight Touring family rather than a single bike."

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Where is this hang-up on Harleys coming from? They're not exactly the best target for BRP to be aiming for!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The thread has digressed a bit from the OP. The question was what could BRP have done better? Many are feeling they could have done more. My guess was pretty much on--new colors and not much else for 2017.

The thread has gone on to compare what others are doing this year with their models.

HD-has ten new models. I am not a fan, but thought the comparison was a good talking point. They still got some dissing from their own crowd.
    We are a tough crowd to please.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-24-2017 at 08:19 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    You are all most entertaining with regards to your expectations of model year releases.

Remember in the 60's when they prepared for the new model year releases in the automotive industry. They arrived all covered up, they were on TV with covers on them, the dealers stored them in hidden locations, because every year was a major retrofit or new model. My Dad would take me to the Ford and Cevy dealers on that one special night just to see the newest models. Now the auto industry changes a couple lights around a headlight and it is a big deal.

You cannot afford major changes every year any longer, the expenses in development are much different now. Many of you for years have been cracking their heads about your radios, well this year and probably for a few years they have developed a rather exquisite solution, and all you respond with is groans and grunts.

At least a few of you espoused that you want more performance, more power, more speed and ground shaking performance., well I think you. Are going to have to find another vendor. It seems to me that BRP is being very conservative about the performance characteristics of the Spyder. I don't know and can only guess, but I would think that the reason for that is the latigeous nature of especially the USA. Remember, we have more lawyers here than the rest of the world combined, AND we allow them to advertise freely to start litigation, that also is fairly unique.

ok let the shouting begin!

Joe

Well the thing is the RT has had the same body style for 8 years. It needs a major change to be competitive. The power to me is good enough. The radio hopefully is fixed but they need a new driveline. The belt ain't working. To much vibration. Tires are crap. They need to fix the existing problems before they add more.
    I
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good things are coming... but a bit of patience will help!
    In 2014, they fixed virtually all of the major complaints about the first generation RTs.
    Now that they've added the F3 to the line-up: perhaps it's time for the third generation to make an appearance...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    I was just shocked that they created such a build up and a dramatic reveal for new gauges!
    The BIG buildup for incremental upgrades has been their M.O. recently. Wonder what BRP has planned for the release of the new RT?????
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

That new Yamaha Venture with the Transcontinental Touring package weighs in at 964 lbs That's before you load it up with gear and passenger. Good luck moving that land barge around. It's so big and heavy that they had to put a special low gear and reverse so you can move it around in a parking lot. OMG !!

Spyder Garage

The good news is, that I can buy plenty of "entry level" RS's cheap now. Let the collecting begin

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    Well the thing is the RT has had the same body style for 8 years. It needs a major change to be competitive.
    We like to hold up Honda as the shining success story to emulate. They went from 2001 to 2012 with the Goldwing before they tweaked the body. 2012 GL1800 wasn't a major redo of the body, just some reshaping at the rear end. They kept the 1500 pretty much the same for 13 years before that. As for engine changes the 1800 flat six has been the power plant for 17 years.

The RT at eight years isn't done yet!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Well folks take a look at what Honda did with the 2018 Goldwing
    The bike was totally redesigned, New engine, new frame and body panels, new suspension, Apple CarPlay , new display, new keyless locking system, two new transmission 6 speed manual, 7 speed semi automatic, a lot of other stuff, shaved 90 pounds off bike, increase HP.

we got new colors and display, I think BRP should have done more

Ride safe,
    2015 RT L , Red

Spyder Garage

Default Amen Joe

I waited for a 6 speed 3 cylinder engine for 3 years. I knew I would ride many miles and couldn't afford 2 tanks of gas a day the 990 twin would give. I knew, my State Farm insurance agent had a 2012 RTL. He said he got a paltry 25-28 mpg. There's no way I could fill my tank twice a day, I ride a lot, still do. I think the 2014 RT-S works well for me, well worth the wait. In my current condition it it is perfect for me. My RT gets around 40 every time I fill up.
    The major car companies release a new body style every 4 years or so, then change.
    BRP knew they had a home run in the new 1330. A major improvement, I bought one. This 1330 ACE fits me perfectly. This 2018 is the same as what I ryde. I like my 2014, it's my last bike. I'll ryde until I can't swing a leg over it. I'm a big man and my bike takes me wherever I want.
    What will the 2019's be like? A turbo, 4 wheels? I don't care, I have what I want.
    143,660 miles, every time I ryde it I smile, how could I be so lucky to finally get what I needed to cover miles..
    Buckeye Chuck 54

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    You are all most entertaining with regards to your expectations of model year releases.

Remember in the 60's when they prepared for the new model year releases in the automotive industry. They arrived all covered up, they were on TV with covers on them, the dealers stored them in hidden locations, because every year was a major retrofit or new model. My Dad would take me to the Ford and Cevy dealers on that one special night just to see the newest models. Now the auto industry changes a couple lights around a headlight and it is a big deal.

You cannot afford major changes every year any longer, the expenses in development are much different now. Many of you for years have been cracking their heads about your radios, well this year and probably for a few years they have developed a rather exquisite solution, and all you respond with is groans and grunts.

At least a few of you espoused that you want more performance, more power, more speed and ground shaking performance., well I think you. Are going to have to find another vendor. It seems to me that BRP is being very conservative about the performance characteristics of the Spyder. I don't know and can only guess, but I would think that the reason for that is the latigeous nature of especially the USA. Remember, we have more lawyers here than the rest of the world combined, AND we allow them to advertise freely to start litigation, that also is fairly unique.

ok let the shouting begin!

Joe

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin2488485 View Post
    Well folks take a look at what Honda did with the 2018 Goldwing
    The bike was totally redesigned, New engine, new frame and body panels, new suspension, Apple CarPlay , new display, new keyless locking system, two new transmission 6 speed manual, 7 speed semi automatic, a lot of other stuff, shaved 90 pounds off bike, increase HP.

we got new colors and display, I think BRP should have done more

Ride safe,
    Quite a change. For those complaining that BRP is slow to make major changes note that the GL1800 ran largely unchanged from 2001 to 2017, that's 17 years folks, without a major redo. BRP went only 6 years before a major engine change. And if you think BRP accessory prices are ridiculous, check out Honda's. $200 for a CB antenna, $250 for HomeLink to open your garage doors. 'Nuff said!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default I want more...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Let's face it Dan:
    If the Spyders had 1,200 horsepower, weighed 27 pounds, cornered at 2Gs, and got 450 mpg: you'd STILL want more!

Your right. We all jumped at the 3 cylinder. (myself included) If a 4 cylinder was in the line up I would have to give it a look! I am happy with my F3-T for now.
    One of the FIRST to own a Spyder 2008 No.2817 Premier Edition Spyder GS. I knew a good thing when I saw it!!

2016 F3-T, LED Headlights, Frnt. & Bck. Side Marker Lights, Back Frnt. Fender Lights, Trailer Hitch. Floor Boards Frnt. and Bck. Third Brake light. Cannonball seats. F4 24" windshileld. ( CAT Delete Pipe (muffler bck. on) ) 2003 Valkyrie

Spyder Garage

Default Other brands get asked the same question

My husband owns a 2015 Indian roadmaster (red & cream). When the 2017 model came out the question was asked if the infotainment could be retrofitted. Nope (at least what we were told). I know someone who owns a Goldwing and the same thing will be asked then. Seems like all the manufacturers are conforming to technology and a lot of people like the new technology. My husband will keep his bike original and I will stay with my RT. Maybe down the road we'll get a new bike but we both are very happy where we are. He will only consider a new one if they bring back the red & cream Roadmaster because it hasn't come back since the first year for the Roadmaster. The Indian forums sure were heavy with the infotainment talk when it was first brought out!

2015 RT-S Special Series
    Ultimate Seats-Tall boy with backrest and chrome gas door, Extended brake pedal, Tall Windshield, brushed chrome replaced with shiny chrome, Baja Ron anti-sway bar, Tri Axis handlebar, Rivco highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust, ISCI hand brake, Spyderpops Bumpskid, Rivco Trunk mounted double flag holder for American Flag and PA State Flag, Magic Mirrors, Can Am Accessories hitch