Thread: Vietnam War

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Vietnam War

If you haven't done so yet make an effort to watch Ken Burns' Vietnam War series on PBS. It is very informative, and IMO, very objective. Everything about our involvement in Vietnam was screwed up beginning with President Woodrow Wilson. Everything that is, except for the commitment and dedication of the men and women who served in the Armed Forces over there. They really deserved a better homecoming than what they got. But at the time we were living under the fear of the "Red Scare" which helps to explain some of the botched up management of it all.

If you missed the episodes already broadcast they are available on PBS.org or on the PBS channel on Roku.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I second your opinion after having watched the first three episodes as well as reading "Dereliction Of Duty: The Lies That Led To Vietnam" by the current National Security Officer H.R. McMaster.

The two stories are virtually in lock step with regard to the misunderstandings, mistakes and outright crimes committed by those in charge (from the president on down) beginning with Truman. There is no mention of Woodrow Wilson that I recall nor do I think he is in any way responsible other than the American presidents of that era all supported the colonial system which all European countries had and which directly led to the Vietnam War.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    If you haven't done so yet make an effort to watch Ken Burns' Vietnam War series on PBS. It is very informative, and IMO, very objective. Everything about our involvement in Vietnam was screwed up beginning with President Woodrow Wilson. Everything that is, except for the commitment and dedication of the men and women who served in the Armed Forces over there. They really deserved a better homecoming than what they got. But at the time we were living under the fear of the "Red Scare" which helps to explain some of the botched up management of it all.

If you missed the episodes already broadcast they are available on PBS.org or on the PBS channel on Roku.
    I've been meaning to watch that. Thanks for the reminder.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For all of us Vietnam Vets. We just did what we have to do and finding the truth is always too late. Transparency should always be with our government. Leaders that are incompetent use us the pawns. All of us Americans and others should watch this history so mistakes will not be repeated.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good series. Brings back a lot of memories. Watching it today I saw a guy I was in the Corps with.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post

Thank you. My husband served in Vietnam, but passed away almost a year ago. I would like to know more.
    Live Laugh Love 💞

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    There is no mention of Woodrow Wilson that I recall nor do I think he is in any way responsible other than the American presidents of that era all supported the colonial system which all European countries had and which directly led to the Vietnam War.
    Yeah, you're pretty much right. Wilson's staff received reports about discontent among the people with the French and how the French turned a deaf ear to the cries of the people for independence. Ho Chi Minh hoped to get Wilson to persuade the French to grant independence but Wilson never was given, so never saw or learned about, the communications. It was the same with Roosevelt's administration, plus with WWII going on SE Asia was a non-priority.

Wilson and Roosevelt were mentioned early in the first episode.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jerpinoy View Post
    For all of us Vietnam Vets. We just did what we have to do and finding the truth is always too late. Transparency should always be with our government. Leaders that are incompetent use us the pawns. All of us Americans and others should watch this history so mistakes will not be repeated.
    They already have been. Iraq, Afghanistan, etc.

The trick would be to quit electing criminal idiots to government.