Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2018 RT Limited

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rogerb View Post
    What it comes down to is: More things to distract the driver.
    I'm thinking exactly the same thing.

Spyder Garage

Default Phone service - out of the area?

What happens when you ride in back country where there is limited or no cellphone coverage? I use the Garmin lots of times because there is no cellphone coverage (or worse - expensive roaming charges), and without connections the only salvation is the GPS that uses satellites.
    2011 RT-S , Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default harley nave

the nav on the harley is very very good you can import or export routes do your home work before nocking things please

Spyder Garage

Default 2018 RT

We all like the "new things" but I'm wondering how well the owners manual will explane how the new "gauge, gps, radio" functions work. I had to research this website just to know how to delete a preset radio station !

With the old Garmin zumo 590, I was able to also mount it on my "H D Streetglide" or any "other vehicle"! Also play with it sitting on a toilet! LOL!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderglide View Post
    We all like the "new things" but I'm wondering how well the owners manual will explane how the new "gauge, gps, radio" functions work. I had to research this website just to know how to delete a preset radio station !

With the old Garmin zumo 590, I was able to also mount it on my "H D Streetglide" or any "other vehicle"! Also play with it sitting on a toilet! LOL!

Good luck. I guess time will tell.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Looks like it.
    Groan....jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderglide View Post

Exactly. There are going to be infinite threads on this stuff as these hit the roads. The BRP manual has to be the worst ive ever encountered lol. This is going to be interesting for sure. Confusion galore.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder_Cowgirl View Post
    • With a standard GPS, you are directly linked to satellites. With REVER, I do not believe you are but use "data plan" on your phone.

It is a common mis-conception that a phone with GPS capability does not use the satellites; they DO.

Without a GPS chip, they would be mostly useless, since the "phone" equipment and it's signals aren't nearly accurate enough.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Thanks for the video!
    Question: Does this mean that I will have to (finally) purchase a smartphone; in order to take full advantage of the bike's features?
    Looks that way. Your flip phone won't interface with the Advanced Technology.
    Mike
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke387 View Post
    Exactly. There are going to be infinite threads on this stuff as these hit the roads. The BRP manual has to be the worst ive ever encountered lol. This is going to be interesting for sure. Confusion galore.
    When I bought my 2012 Genesis (new) I was surprised to find it had two Owners Manuals. One for the car itself and another, almost the same size, for the infotainment system (including nav). Unbelievable!

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It really is not that bad, as I understand it. You select a route on your phone with the Rever ap, either one you download or one you make or have made from previous trips. Then plug your phone it, transfer the maps from the phone Rever to the Spyder Rever, and the GPS on the Spyder does the rest. There is no data usage, only the satellite links.

You can do the same now to your GPS, Garmin. Example, I downloaded some maps of routes for the upcoming Maggie Valley trip, from the host website, kind of. Then used a totally different ap to send it to my Garmin, when I get there, hopefully it worked, time will tell.

The advantage of the new system is that it is using the same ap on both devices, therby much less chance for corruption of the data.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    It really is not that bad, as I understand it. You select a route on your phone with the Rever ap, either one you download or one you make or have made from previous trips. Then plug your phone it, transfer the maps from the phone Rever to the Spyder Rever, and the GPS on the Spyder does the rest. There is no data usage, only the satellite links.

You can do the same now to your GPS, Garmin. Example, I downloaded some maps of routes for the upcoming Maggie Valley trip, from the host website, kind of. Then used a totally different ap to send it to my Garmin, when I get there, hopefully it worked, time will tell.

The advantage of the new system is that it is using the same ap on both devices, therby much less chance for corruption of the data.

Joe
    so do you believe the GPS in the bike has maps in it and could be used to find a destination by itself or does it rely on a smart phone for everything. If it is a proper GPS things like map and software updates will be interesting. I think it's not much more than a monitor fir your phone maps.

Spyder Garage

Default 2018 RTL

Just curious. I have a 2016 RTL. Didnt like the Garmin 660 so I removed it and the mount. I installed a Ram mount in its place and use my Galaxy S8+ in its place. I can use Google Maps and also stream music as well as answer calls all through my bluetooth headset. By using my Spotify subscription I can download all my music so i dont use data while listening to my music. I also added a usb plug in the vacant switch spot so I can keep my phone charged all the time.

What am I missing?

Thanks for yout input.

Spyder Garage

Shear and Utter BULL****!

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder_Cowgirl View Post
    The problem with the Harley integrated GPS, is there is NO ability to download maps or routes .... from anywhere. So, you are at the mercy of the integrated GPS when choosing routes.
    All the best .... Ann

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ottawa-rider View Post
    I did not know a thing about that Rever, had never heard of it.

A quick search on the Google Play store revealed that after a recent update, users are less than impressed by it.
    I was thinking the same thing.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    Shear and Utter BULL****!

AJ
    AJ .. thank you for correcting me. Made the error of reporting this second (maybe third) hand ..... I will correct my post.
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

Default Android Auto

I was hoping it would work more like my car interactive entertainment system. The system uses Andriod Auto and those who have Apple, Carplay. This takes certain apps and allows you access to them through your interactive display. My KIA allows Google maps and WAZE to display maps on the interactive display. For music it has Pandora and google play. I guess we will have to wait and see.
    2012 RTS

2012 RtS M5 , Stock Homemade Metallic Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jzb54 View Post

What am I missing?

Thanks for yout input.
    Nothing. Whatever works for you.

I need a CB.....so I don't think that would work as good for me.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Nothing. Whatever works for you.

I need a CB.....so I don't think that would work as good for me.
    Accessories catalog hasn't been updated yet so right now there's no way to know if a CB can be installed in a 2018 RT or not.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CB on 2018 RT

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Accessories catalog hasn't been updated yet so right now there's no way to know if a CB can be installed in a 2018 RT or not.
    From my experience with the BRP CB, I would NOT touch it with a 10 foot pole. Any future Spyder I might buy (be it RT or F3) will have the following set up in it. Since BT is now integrated into the radio, I am almost positive this will work (this is the configuration for my husbands Indian Roadmaster):

• JMCB-2003 -- handle bar mounted CB
    • JMDM-IPBT-JCB03 -- a Bluetooth interface module for the above CB (provides a wired connection, 6-pin plug; must be mounted water tight).
    • Standard J&M headset with a lower cord that matches the JMDM interface plug.
    • Now that the Spyder has BT integrated into it's audio system, I am guessing there is a "slot" for "headset" preprogrammed.
    • So, we simply paired the CB as a headset (actually paired the JMDM module as a headset) and all the audio flows through a wired connection. The reason for doing this was the sound quality from even the best Bluetooth headsets leaves something to be desired and husband already has compromised hearing (so needs the best quality he can get ... wired provides that).
    • The only "downside" is the loss of digital volume control to the headset; it is handled by the volume wheel on the top of the J&M CB and is easy to use.

This solution is not cheap ... but the J&M units are high quality and husbands has worked without issue for nearly two years. Of course, one would have to come up with a mount for the CB, mount point for the BT interface, mount for the antenna, and a power source (don't recall if BRP provides any switched connectors for accessory use; Indian does).

So .... for anyone looking to ditch the BRP CB .. as above, I am almost positive this will work.

All the best ..... Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __