Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Default 2018 RT Limited

Just on the BRP website reading about the 2018 RT Limited and the new infotainment system.. where is the GPS?????? No more convenience of doing custom routes and downloading to e Garmin, unless you install your own ??????? Maybe I am my missing something ??????

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It looks as if it's built in to the system now.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

BRPs discussion about Features says the new twin dash "allows for integration of navigation...." The function modes that comes with the bike does not include navigation. Bottom line, looks like GPS is gone. I would not care for it if it was built in. I enjoy taking my GPS into the motel room and programing the next days ride when I'm on the road.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default GPS -- BRP Connect

From what I was able to gather on the FB feeds, the GPS is integrated into the console now and using a new setup called BRP Connect, one now has access to several apps (motorcycle focused). One of the apps is called REVER -- it is one of the better route planners out there. I have used REVER to plan routes and then download them for import into my Garmin. Sounds like it is now all integrated .... my questions now are:

• Will we have to pay for the apps, or does BRP Connect provide them for free?
    • With a standard GPS, you are directly linked to satellites. With REVER, I do not believe you are but use "data plan" on your phone. If so, who is going to pay for that?

I kind of like having the integrated GPS as it puts it more in line of site than the current location. But, I have so real concerns about what all BRP Connect does and what it's true benefits are.

That's all I know / suspect .... Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

From what I can gather the screen can display information from your phone. Any app you have on your phone can be displayed on the screen. My guess is most of the non standard gauge info is being done with your smartphone. "Integrated" doesn't typically mean included, it typically means it seamlessly meshes with something else. I could be wrong. The ONLY NEW feature for 2018 is the gauges and they can't even give us decent info on them.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    BRPs discussion about Features says the new twin dash "allows for integration of navigation...." The function modes that comes with the bike does not include navigation. Bottom line, looks like GPS is gone. I would not care for it if it was built in. I enjoy taking my GPS into the motel room and programing the next days ride when I'm on the road.
    I agree, I do the custom routes on Basecamp, download to the Garmin when planning a trip ...plan each day using that method..... Using the phone for navigation uses additional data plan time, an additional cost !!!!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Since it's integrated into the system now: does anyone want to buy a Kradellock and a GPS hood for a
    Zumo 590?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would hold on to the 590 stuff you may not like the integrated GPS

Spyder Garage

Default GPS Integration?

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    How would GPS integration work? Integrate how, and from what?

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilderThomas View Post
    How would GPS integration work? Integrate how, and from what?
    It is really not that complicated. You can use your phone with the Rever ap, then the map will come up on your screen when the phone and the information system are linked. By using the ap on your phone and the same ap on the Byke you will eliminate the normal conversion errors.

I got the ap for free on the phone.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    It is really not that complicated. You can use your phone with the Rever ap, then the map will come up on your screen when the phone and the information system are linked. By using the ap on your phone and the same ap on the Byke you will eliminate the normal conversion errors.

I got the ap for free on the phone.

Joe
    when using the Rever app on your phone, and linked to the bike, are you using phone data time ????

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by biker01red View Post
    when using the Rever app on your phone, and linked to the bike, are you using phone data time ????
    I am just taking a wild guess here, but perhaps the Rever ap is just the mapping portion of the system, while the internal system has GPS coordinates capabilities. So your map comes to the GPS from the Rever ap and the GPS is the portion of the system that knows your location on the map. If that is how it works, then you would not be using data.

But then what do I know?

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Default Harley Integrated GPS System Fail

Ask the Harley people how they like their integrated GPS...not! Most I know have gone back to their Garmins. I hope BRP has done a better job fully testing and getting feedback from actual users of GPS systems rather than some engineer sitting on his computer telling us what we will like and not like. It's a big risk to do away with proven technology for some experimental system that could p*** off their customers. In fact, it sounds like they already have started the process based on this thread.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post
    Ask the Harley people how they like their integrated GPS...not! Most I know have gone back to their Garmins. I hope BRP has done a better job fully testing and getting feedback from actual users of GPS systems rather than some engineer sitting on his computer telling us what we will like and not like. It's a big risk to do away with proven technology for some experimental system that could p*** off their customers. In fact, it sounds like they already have started the process based on this thread.
    Can't tell you about existing customers...but i am off tomorrow to see the dealer to order the RT LTD Dark Edition in Blue....we were going to get a 2017 RT-S, but this seems like an upgrade we have to wait for the delivery!

Spyder Garage

You mean doing away with proven technology like a paper map and replacing it with some experimental system called GPS?

If you've never used something like Waze, for example, that can tell you a mile ahead of time about the pothole in the road, the car stopped on the side of the road that everyone is slowing down to look at, or the cop sitting behind the bushes then you don't know what you're missing. With Google Map's ability to download maps for offline use you never have to worry about using your data plan or being in an area where you have *no* data plan.

You join everyone else on the bus or you stand there and watch it pull away without you. Your choice.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Harley Mistake

CORRECTIION: I am mistaken in the statement about the ability to download maps or routes to the HD integrated GPS. It is possible to do so -- subsequent posts in this thread say I am wrong. Will leave this here, with the correction.

Sorry to pass along bad information .... Ann

The problem with the Harley integrated GPS, is there is NO ability to download maps or routes .... from anywhere. So, you are at the mercy of the integrated GPS when choosing routes. It looks like BRP has at least thought about the need to plan routes away from the Spyder and offer the ability to download those routes to the integrated GPS. My, remaining, questions all have to deal with usage of the data plan on the phone for either route planning or navigation. That could get VERY costly if the integrated GPS is dependent on the phone data plan for navigation (instead of it's own direct satellite link). It could also get VERY costly to do route planning away from the Spyder if you have to use your phone data plan to do that.

Still early, I do hope the engineers have thought this through and provided this integrated GPS in such a manner that it is usable and does not chew up the phone data plan. If they have not, then I see that as a problem similar to the mistake HD made.

All the best .... Ann
    Last edited by Spyder_Cowgirl; 09-28-2017 at 01:21 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

Once again the "Herd" is overly excited and making irrational guess's about the unknown. Only BRP holds the Key to their rationality and taming of strange behavior. Oh when will it ever end!

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Once again the "Herd" is overly excited and making irrational guess's about the unknown. Only BRP holds the Key to their rationality and taming of strange behavior. Oh when will it ever end!

​Jack
    As long as you are on the internet, it will never end.

Very Active Member ottawa-rider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I did not know a thing about that Rever, had never heard of it.

A quick search on the Google Play store revealed that after a recent update, users are less than impressed by it.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the video!
    Question: Does this mean that I will have to (finally) purchase a smartphone; in order to take full advantage of the bike's features?

Spyder Garage

What it comes down to is: More things to distract the driver.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

​Jack
    Careful Jack, we could end up giving you the "voice of reason" nickname.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Thanks for the video!
    Question: Does this mean that I will have to (finally) purchase a smartphone; in order to take full advantage of the bike's features?
    Looks like it.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Since it's integrated into the system now: does anyone want to buy a Kradellock and a GPS hood for a
    Zumo 590?
    Possibly. Just got a 2017 RT-S, and might be tempted to add the GPS to it. How much do you want for it?