Spyder Garage

Default New exhaust plan to AVOID

Considering I felt my F3's seemed a touch on the loud side & lost some off the off the line torque I thought I'd try to add the stainless steel baffle that came with the cat bypass pipe in addition to the Big City Thunder baffle that I had previously installed. I cut 1/2" off the wide side to allow a fit & installed the stainless baffle in between the Akrapovic muffler & exhaust pipe.

I fired the F3's up in the garage--did 2 low revs & turned the key off. I never found out if it would have improved the bottom end torque. The sound reminded me a friends 1971 VEGA right before his engine blew for the 3rd time. No way would I be caught dead riding anything that sounded that bad. Also similar to a "Screech Owl" that was stuck in the engine fan.

No Charge for this Advice
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Default Exhaust testing

Thanks for testing for us all. I always wondered that configuration.😄

Spyder Garage

Good information. Like they say in Economics classes, Caveat Emptor.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Good to know...

You live and learn and it is still the test that does it... thanks probably saved others from trying it out....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder 1 Attitude

These were the test pipes used for the Monster flash testing. Both these pipes Lost low end when used with the cat delete / insert. The Two Brothers pipe Gained the low end back when I installed the P1 performance insert in the end. It's the pipe in the video that restored the bottom end for a fast start off the line.

The other Pipe is a Stainless Spyder 1 Attitude. It also lost low end but was wonderfully loud. The most amazing pipe sound I have tested. Turned a lot of heads as it sound like a sports car. But it GAINED low end when I fitted it with a Big City Thunder baffle in the end. Not to loud, Wonderfully mellow sound when you let it rip, and a really cool after burner crackle between shifts and during de-acceleration. Looks really sharp on any bike

Like you, I tested inserts between point a & b and the sound got sicker without restoring the low end.
    My best performance test results went in order like this.
    #1 Leave the original cat in place, there is magic in how it works with these motors, Two Brothers Pipe with the P1 Power Core. The only thing lost is a little top end performance Above 8,000 rpm. Best trade off for real world street use. Pictured on the left.

#2 leave cat in place with Spyder 1 Stainless with Big City Thunder in the end. The sound is really what a triple should sound like. A little less low end for hole shots but best top end puller configuration.

#3 Stock Stock Stock and a flash. BEST power hit off the bottom thru 5,000 rpm. Pulls equal to any configuration until about 6,800 rpm then it looses a little ground.

#4 Cat delete with sound insert and either pipe above. More noise which is deceiving. Looses from bottom to about 7,800 rpm. Best set up for 1/4 miles runs if you get it up there. Second worst set up for street use.

Drum Roll Please for the worst possible exhaust configuration for both stock or a flashed bike. Coming in at #5: cat delete without the sound insert and any open pipe. Strange thing is after several hundred miles the 1330 magic ECUs somehow manage to make this set up respectable only because you think the sound is making you faster.

Sorry if I popped anyone's bubble but with 6,000 miles of pipe testing alone, I'm a huge fan of the catalytic converter. Since my 2016 F3L has the 89 tooth sprocket I have left my all stock exhaust and went with the 8,600 rpm flash. Smokes the tire at will off the line with some second gear slippage as well. But, it really goes flat after the original 8,100 red line. Go figure? But, with either pipe in the picture I don't get the second gear slippage but OMG what happens from about 7,400 to 8,600 really throws my helmet back. For now I choose to be quiet and shift lower.

Both pipes sell for $550 , your choice for $350 delivered.

KIMG0023.jpg
    Last edited by Dennis in Lodi; 09-22-2017 at 09:14 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in Lodi View Post
    These were the test pipes used for the Monster flash testing. Both these pipes Lost low end when used with the cat delete / insert. The Two Brothers pipe Gained the low end back when I installed the P1 performance insert in the end. It's the pipe in the video that restored the bottom end for a fast start off the line.

The other Pipe is a Stainless Spyder 1 Attitude. It also lost low end but was wonderfully loud. The most amazing pipe sound I have tested. Turned a lot of heads as it sound like a sports car. But it GAINED low end when I fitted it with a Big City Thunder baffle in the end. Not to loud, Wonderfully mellow sound when you let it rip, and a really cool after burner crackle between shifts and during de-acceleration. Looks really sharp on any bike

Like you, I tested inserts between point a & b and the sound got sicker without restoring the low end.
    My best performance test results went in order like this.
    #1 Leave the original cat in place, there is magic in how it works with these motors, Two Brothers Pipe with the P1 Power Core. The only thing lost is a little top end performance Above 8,000 rpm. Best trade off for real world street use. Pictured on the left.

#2 leave cat in place with Spyder 1 Stainless with Big City Thunder in the end. The sound is really what a triple should sound like. A little less low end for hole shots but best top end puller configuration.

#3 Stock Stock Stock and a flash. BEST power hit off the bottom thru 5,000 rpm. Pulls equal to any configuration until about 6,800 rpm then it looses a little ground.

#4 Cat delete with sound insert and either pipe above. More noise which is deceiving. Looses from bottom to about 7,800 rpm. Best set up for 1/4 miles runs if you get it up there. Second worst set up for street use.

Drum Roll Please for the worst possible exhaust configuration for both stock or a flashed bike. Coming in at #5: cat delete without the sound insert and any open pipe. Strange thing is after several hundred miles the 1330 magic ECUs somehow manage to make this set up respectable only because you think the sound is making you faster.

Sorry if I popped anyone's bubble but with 6,000 miles of pipe testing alone, I'm a huge fan of the catalytic converter. Since my 2016 F3L has the 89 tooth sprocket I have left my all stock exhaust and went with the 8,600 rpm flash. Smokes the tire at will off the line with some second gear slippage as well. But, it really goes flat after the original 8,100 red line. Go figure? But, with either pipe in the picture I don't get the second gear slippage but OMG what happens from about 7,400 to 8,600 really throws my helmet back. For now I choose to be quiet and shift lower.

Both pipes sell for $550 , your choice for $350 delivered.

KIMG0023.jpg
    Geez--thanks Dennis--now I'll be putting my Cat back on--keeping my chrome Akrapovic --maybe I try to fit the Big City Thunder in somehow--I still have unpleasant memories from trying the stainless steel baffle--that was one ugly sound--the dog is still hiding under the deck ;-(
    Your approach was more thorough than mine---I appreciate the info.
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black