Spyder Garage

Default New owner - 2012 RS-S - couple of questions!

Hi all,

new owner here. Just got home with a good conditions 2012 RS-S. Looking into a few things.
    First of all I am in New Zealand, so finding accessories here for the Can Ams is not easy.

1. The Bike did not come with a Manual. Where can I find one?
    2. I am looking to fit saddlebags. I have read here that the Givi V35 should fit. Or the OGIO. Are there instructions on how to fit them to a Can Am? Have no idea how to remove the covers, and which one without the manual.
    3. Which Short rear LED turn signal would you recommend, to replace the original ones? Are they hard to replace? Which store would you recommend getting them from?

Cheers for now : )

KiwiSpyder!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi_Spyder View Post
    Hi all,

new owner here. Just got home with a good conditions 2012 RS-S. Looking into a few things.
    First of all I am in New Zealand, so finding accessories here for the Can Ams is not easy.

1. The Bike did not come with a Manual. Where can I find one?
    2. I am looking to fit saddlebags. I have read here that the Givi V35 should fit. Or the OGIO. Are there instructions on how to fit them to a Can Am? Have no idea how to remove the covers, and which one without the manual.
    3. Which Short rear LED turn signal would you recommend, to replace the original ones? Are they hard to replace? Which store would you recommend getting them from?

Cheers for now : )

KiwiSpyder!
    Hi Mate,

1. I've got an electronic copy of the RS Workshop manual and handbook. There the 2011 version but that's not going to be any different from yours so should do the trick. I'll send you a link so you can download them or alternatively can post a CD with them on to you.

2. Hard Saddlebags - Givi and Can-am both do a kit. Both use the Givi V35 hard cases so no problems there either way but the actual mounting kits are different. The Givi mounting kits did get quite hard to find a couple of years back so I don't know how easy they are to get hold of. I have the Givi mounting kit, but I'd actually recommend the Can-am mounting kit as its better made and has a better system for the turn signals. The Givi mount comes with a mounting kit for putting the turn signals on the rear mudguard (fender to our American Friends:-)). This means they are very low and the extra weight doesn't help the fender struts and also the rear fender suffers from vibration which isn't the best thing for bulbs. Also I had both Givi mounts crack when doing the TT2000 last year and had to get them welded backup - the guy who did it said the metal they were made of was naff. Before I had these I used Givi V100 soft luggage but I did find they had to come so far forward to miss the indicators that they could end up covering the pillion foot pegs.

3. LED's. You know our NZ rear turn signals on the Spyder are really big and have a red surround unlike the US ones? That's because NZ law says you have to have a red reflector at either side of the rear of the vehicle. So if you change the indicators make sure you put some red reflectors somewhere as a replacement or it will fail the WOF. If you do end up fitting Givi bags then get the ones with the red reflectors on them (rather than white) and those will make you legal:-) Otherwise you'll have to find somewhere to mount some. Turn signals - make sure you get ones that come with a resistor (or buy them) as you will need it to make them flash at the right speed. The resistors generate a lot of heat so need careful positioning. I've had Tech 7 and Oxford. The Tech 7 were nice and bright but fell apart after a year, though that was when they were mounted on the rear mudguard which as I mentioned suffers from vibration. I got some cheap Oxfords but found they weren't very bright so ended up getting more expensive ones and they have been good. Always got them from http://www.motozone.co.nz/ as they had a reasonable range.

Thanks,

Jos
    Last edited by PistonBlown; 09-21-2017 at 08:46 PM.

Spyder Garage

& on your new ryde
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

Tech 7 Indicators mounted on the mudguard with Givi mounting kit in the background:
    DSC02468.jpgDSC02471.jpg

Spyder Garage

Sorry only photo I can find of the Oxford ones is after I fitted the mudguard from a Kawasaki so it's not that similar to what you'll have. Also this photo was taken towards the end of the last TT2000 so the Spyders looking a bit worse for wear:-)
    DSC03519.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default There you have it....

And a neighbor at that... welcome to the spyder world and this awesome site. You've got yourself one of the best spyders made IMHO and will have more fun the you ought to have on it. Mine is plain so can't help with the bags I only add the rack for soft bags when traveling but there are several other companies out there with hard bags...enjoy...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RS-S

always nice to see another RS keep the rubber side down and have fun jtpollock
    see my list of parts

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the very warm welcome guys!

And Thanks Jos for all the info! I never thought I would find a Kiwi Spyder here!

1. I would really appreciate a copy of the manuals! should I send you my email in private?

2. Great! I will get the Can Am racks, but the question is where?? I have searched but have not found a good source for them?

3. Copy on the LEDs. If the Can Am racks do not require moving the read turn signals around then I will leave them be. Otherwise I will look on Motozone!

Again thank you!!

E.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi_Spyder View Post
    Thank you for the very warm welcome guys!

And Thanks Jos for all the info! I never thought I would find a Kiwi Spyder here!

1. I would really appreciate a copy of the manuals! should I send you my email in private?

2. Great! I will get the Can Am racks, but the question is where?? I have searched but have not found a good source for them?

3. Copy on the LEDs. If the Can Am racks do not require moving the read turn signals around then I will leave them be. Otherwise I will look on Motozone!

Again thank you!!

E.
    I've sent you a message on this site with links to the manual and handbook in OneDrive. You should be able to download them from there or read them online.

In NZ probably Ben at Timaru Can-am will be your best bet for the Can-am rack mounts, but obviously only if Can-am still supply them. They are a very good dealer, I use them when I need stuff doing my Spyder even though I live in Leithfield. The only problem could be the cost as Can-am parts can be silly money here, no idea what the frames are . I got my Givi mounts from Motozone and they cost $299 back in 2014 but I haven't seen them listed since. Got the Givi V35s themselves from Motomail (www.motomail.co.nz)

You still have to move the turn signals with the Can-am rack mounts but they are just moved further back as part of the frame so its much neater than the Givi system. The BRP frame actually comes out of the bodywork were the turn signals are normally mounted.