Spyder Garage

Default Always helpful....

Nice article.. 's for the link....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

That's a nice write up. They're slowly coming around. I've been saying this from the beginning. Don't knock it until you've put a few miles on a Spyder.

SilverFox
    If you don't change anything,,,
    nothing is going to change!

Spyder Garage

A good article. I used to get Cycle World but am now down to just Rider magazine. Early articles 2008/2009 etc. were pretty harsh on the Spyder. They were also clearly written by people that did not have a clue. I am sure many were scared off by some of the early articles.

Rider magazine has also written some good articles of late. I have mentioned them when they were current.

Thanks for the link.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

That wasn't much of a story. "Six speed engine"? Not much of a writer either.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It was better than what we're used to seeing!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It was better than what we're used to seeing!
    Agree with that! I was waiting for the "this damned thing doesn't handle like a motorcycle!".

Spyder Garage

One of the comments:

"Rented one for a day. Where do I begin. Torque steer makes the bike pull to one side on even gentle throttle. Hit an expansion joint or bump in the tarmac and the machine will jump off line. Constant small steering corrections required even during steady state cruising in a strait line. Weak engine performance. Lack of brake feel and stopping power. I also road with a group during a test ride at the Long Beach. I asked every one of the eight in the ride group -- only one said he would still consider owning a trike after the short demo ride. Over and over I hear the words "Twitchy... scary ... unnerving". Also "way more effort than I expected ... No thank you". I wanted to like this machine, I really did. Came away deciding the CanAm Spyder is a seriously flawed platform that needs a whole new engineering approach..."

Too scary! Torque steer, really?

Rented one for a day. Where do I begin. Torque steer makes the bike pull to one side on even gentle throttle. Hit an expansion joint or bump in the tarmac and the machine will jump off line. Constant small steering corrections required even during steady state cruising in a strait line. Weak engine performance. Lack of brake feel and stopping power. I also road with a group during a test ride at the Long Beach. I asked every one of the eight in the ride group -- only one said he would still consider owning a trike after the short demo ride. Over and over I hear the words "Twitchy... scary ... unnerving". Also "way more effort than I expected ... No thank you". I wanted to like this machine, I really did. Came away deciding the CanAm Spyder is a seriously flawed platform that needs a whole new engineering approach.

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for sharing the article. We need to flood the comments with positive ones.

Spyder Garage

Default Good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by elixermixer View Post
    A positive article in ..., gasp... a motorcycle based mag 🙈

http://www.cycleworld.com/taking-can...5-mile-hot-lap
    Got a laugh out of one of the commenters on the article site . He basically says these machines are undrivable , flawed platform, twitchy , no power ... engineering needs to start from scratch etc lol ., We all must have missed that in the millions of miles logged by Ryder's on here ? 🤔

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    A good article. I used to get Cycle World but am now down to just Rider magazine. Early articles 2008/2009 etc. were pretty harsh on the Spyder. They were also clearly written by people that did not have a clue. I am sure many were scared off by some of the early articles. Rider magazine has also written some good articles of late. I have mentioned them when they were current. Thanks for the link.
    I used to get Cycle World and Rider magazine. Now I just subscribe to Motorcycle Consumer News (excellent articles, no advertising so no influence from advertisers) and RoadRUNNER (oriented toward touring). Both of these mags have had positive reviews of Spyders in the last couple years.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I bought my RTL as something the wifey could drive by herself and it does fit that bill. Because she has no two wheel experience she doesn't notice everything that makes me uneasy about riding the Spyder but I tend to agree with the person who commented above. It is jerky and you do have to pay very close attention even in a straight line. I do not like the way it corners but I tend to ride faster than she does. It is much too complicated to work on easily and I just laugh at some of the maintenance recommendations such as checking the oil and brake levels. Teaspoons? REALLY?

I am not sure how much use we will get out of it but I will most likely go back to a sports tourer and she and I can ride together, if not on the same vehicle.

I do know one thing.....it will be the last BRP vehicle I will ever buy.

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=scubadown;1302450]One of the comments:

"Rented one for a day. Where do I begin. Torque steer makes the bike pull to one side on even gentle throttle. Hit an expansion joint or bump in the tarmac and the machine will jump off line. Constant small steering corrections required even during steady state cruising in a strait line. Weak engine performance. Lack of brake feel and stopping power. I also road with a group during a test ride at the Long Beach. I asked every one of the eight in the ride group -- only one said he would still consider owning a trike after the short demo ride. Over and over I hear the words "Twitchy... scary ... unnerving". Also "way more effort than I expected ... No thank you". I wanted to like this machine, I really did. Came away deciding the CanAm Spyder is a seriously flawed platform that needs a whole new engineering approach..."

Too scary! Torque steer, really?

You want torque steer--get aboard a Triumph 2300 Rocket III. I was going to buy one of those--until I started it up, cranked the throttle, and had to hold on because the bike leaned in the direction of the torque. I liked the fire engine red--but thought it was a bit much for ME. I bought a Vulcan 2000 cc instead--a bit more tame.

Rented one for a day. Where do I begin. Torque steer makes the bike pull to one side on even gentle throttle. Hit an expansion joint or bump in the tarmac and the machine will jump off line. Constant small steering corrections required even during steady state cruising in a strait line. Weak engine performance. Lack of brake feel and stopping power. I also road with a group during a test ride at the Long Beach. I asked every one of the eight in the ride group -- only one said he would still consider owning a trike after the short demo ride. Over and over I hear the words "Twitchy... scary ... unnerving". Also "way more effort than I expected ... No thank you". I wanted to like this machine, I really did. Came away deciding the CanAm Spyder is a seriously flawed platform that needs a whole new engineering approach.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    That wasn't much of a story. "Six speed engine"? Not much of a writer either.
    Also said the foot brake pedal applied the front brakes. No mention of the rear. That's one of the reasons I stopped getting that rag; really bad writing.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Also said the foot brake pedal applied the front brakes. No mention of the rear. That's one of the reasons I stopped getting that rag; really bad writing.
    Me too on the technical--now that I have re-read the article and comments a bit. CW was dumped by me also because it seemed to be less and less relevant to what I was liking.

2020 F3L , Magma Red