Spyder Garage

Default salt waterup the tailpipe

What should I expect from getting salt water up my tailpipe form Irma. Started up and about a gallon of water shot from the tail pipe. Oil looks good,runs good after a good washing and rinsing?

Spyder Garage

Default Depends....

How far under was the spyder to start with..?? was it standing water or waves..?? How long was it under..?? Assuming that it did not get to the cylinders you will have some premature rusting of the exhaust innerds. you could pull it apart and flush it if it has not already begun to rust and pit...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by islandspyder View Post
    What should I expect from getting salt water up my tailpipe form Irma. Started up and about a gallon of water shot from the tail pipe. Oil looks good,runs good after a good washing and rinsing?
    Thanks for the reply.It sat in water for about 4 hours as the tide went out in my garage. Water got up just above the tail pipe. it sat about two days until we were allowed back home. again thanks

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the reply.It sat in water for about 4 hours as the tide went out in my garage. Water got up just above the tail pipe. it sat about two days until we were allowed back home. again thanks
    You should be OK, at least I hope so.
    American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of GOD.

The Older I get the Better I Was.

Spyder Garage

A long ride to dry it out is about all you can do. Maybe wash it and rinse it thoroughly?
    Since it was salt water you should keep an eye on metal parts and attack any rust when it starts.
    Last edited by classicvw; 09-20-2017 at 06:43 PM.

Spyder Garage

For salt water contamination the usual procedure is to flush with LOTS of fresh water. Then give it a bath of diesel fuel followed by a thorough cleaning. Messy but effective. I don't know how you could accomplish this other than taking the effected parts off the bike. I would sure be contacting my insurance as well as my dealer. I think doing anything less is pretty much inviting premature failure.

Also know that you and others affected are in our thoughts. Best of luck to you.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HIGH WATER - salt

I'm sure the Spyder was not running ..... and therefor NO water could actually ENTER the engine .... the air pocket alone from the muffler to the engine would prevent it .... plus the engine is pretty much sealed from water intrusion if it's off ..... jmho ....& I would have raised the front wheels as high as possible BEFORE starting it, to promote draining . But I think your OK .... A few years ago I drove my Sno-mobile in a field that had large dips ... one of them was filled with water 2 to 3ft deep, it was ICE covered and I broke through ... I tried but couldn't keep it going forward and it sank ... I hit the KILL switch ... I later went back with two friends, with two other machines and we dragged mine out .... it fired up and ran fine ..... SALTWATER may have added issues ,so extra cleaning may be necessary ....... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 09-21-2017 at 07:56 AM.

Spyder Garage

Fresh water does not create the same issues as salt water. With fresh water all you get is a good bath. Salt water is very corrosive, especially warm salt water which has a very high salinity rate. You've got to get rid of ALL the salt effects or you will have problems. Maybe not in a month or two, but certainty in a year or two. You live is a salt water environment and I'm sure you can see the effects of what salt will do to machinery. A salt water bath is not good.
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I'm sure the Spyder was not running ..... and therefor NO water could actually ENTER the engine .... the air pocket alone from the muffler to the engine would prevent it .... plus the engine is pretty much sealed from water intrusion if it's off ..... jmho ....& I would have raised the front wheels as high as possible BEFORE starting it, to promote draining . But I think your OK .... A few years ago I drove my Sno-mobile in a field that had large dips ... one of them was filled with water 2 to 3ft deep, it was ICE covered and I broke through ... I tried but couldn't keep it going forward and it sank ... I hit the KILL switch ... I later went back with two friends, with two other machines and we dragged mine out .... it fired up and ran fine ... Mike
    With the salt water I would be more concerned with the electronics. I lost a truck to salt water that had barely gotten into the floorboard. Insurance totaled it due to salt water would start killing the electronics over a period of time. I would take all connections loose and clean and spray them and hope the corrosion want get them.
    David

Spyder Garage

I'd be worried if it got into the wheel bearings, not the muffler. The electrics are high enough if it only got to the muffler.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    I'd be worried if it got into the wheel bearings, not the muffler. The electrics are high enough if it only got to the muffler.
    Thanks everyone. I feel pretty good about the situation.Have flushed the bike with fresh water and will look at wheel bearings. Will see what insurance company will do. Thanks again

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    My thought as well... wheel bearings, brake calipers, brake pedal pivot point, etc...
    If it moves, and got salt water in it: take it apart for some cleaning!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default INSURANCE ?????

Thanks everyone. I feel pretty good about the situation.Have flushed the bike with fresh water and will look at wheel bearings. Will see what insurance company will do. Thanks again
    Consider that They might TOTAL your Spyder and give ONLY 70% of what it's worth .... make certain you don't make a claim before you know what they will PAY for it ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    My thought as well... wheel bearings, brake calipers, brake pedal pivot point, etc...
    If it moves, and got salt water in it: take it apart for some cleaning!
    The bottom of your exhaust is about 11 inches off the floor. Take a look around your bike and notice everything that would have been under water. And chances are the water probably was more than just 11 inches deep. If you can find a high water mark somewhere in your garage, that will give you the information you need to know just how much your bike was submerged. Then I would document, document, document. Take pictures of the high water mark with a measuring tape. Pictures of the spyder where it was parked, etc.... There are electrical connections under your top A arm covers that are only 14 inches off the ground and probably more.... If your bike was submerged in 12-14 inches of sea water, I would not be at all surprised if your insurance company declares it a total loss. If they want to just give it a quick bath and tell you all is good, do not sign off any waiver of liability. Problems can start showing up down the line.
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Default Salt

Total it. I grew up in Florida. We had lots of hurricanes, and our cars and bikes were frequently submarines. That's code for junk! You just can't get all the salt out, and it ruins things. Unreliable, frequent breakdowns, the works.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

It also depends on the height of the water, and believe it or not, all salt bodies do not have same salt concentration. And fresh water (rain) in certain areas may be more what was experienced but that's difficult to say. It may have seemed the tide went down and that's what made the water recede, but it may also have been fresh water that receded on it's own.

Spyder Garage

GEEEEZZZ..... I totally missed your #3 post where you said the salt water "got just ABOVE the tail pipe". Don't know which model you have but on my RTL, that would make the water about 18 inches deep. Eighteen inch submersion = total loss. There is nothing you can reasonably do to make the bike right....
    Semper Fi