Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default ticketed for less than 1 mph over speed limit

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/...cid=spartandhp

He probably should not have passed the cop, but seriously ???

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you tick them off: don't be surprised at what it earns you...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If you tick them off: don't be surprised at what it earns you...

What does that mean? That we now except vindictiveness as a norm for our Police? Sad

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBayou View Post
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/...cid=spartandhp

He probably should not have passed the cop, but seriously ???
    According to the officer's statement to the driver. He actually got a ticket for 'Disrespecting' the officer by passing him. So, the officer was offended but there was no ordinance from which to site the driver for that offence. But the officer could not leave without inflicting some kind of pain on this driver so he wrote him a ticket for 1 KPH over the speed limit. That is the pathetic part of this whole thing.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

We all take the chance of getting a ticket. If you get a ticket for 21mph in a 20 mph zone you are breaking the law. It doesn't say +/-. I know 1 mph is crazy, but you are in control of the vehicle. The law is taking so much heat lately. So don't cry if you get a ticket for a mere 1 mph over the speed limit. JMT
    David

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If the speed offense is very small I would first question the operation and calibration of the measuring device. Radar guns are supposed to be checked prior to each patrol shift in most jurisdictions. If not the judge has reasonable means to toss the ticket.

This particular incident should have sparked a review of this officer's stops to ensure he isn't just harassing drivers.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    We all take the chance of getting a ticket. If you get a ticket for 21mph in a 20 mph zone you are breaking the law. It doesn't say +/-. I know 1 mph is crazy, but you are in control of the vehicle. The law is taking so much heat lately. So don't cry if you get a ticket for a mere 1 mph over the speed limit. JMT
    David
    When I was shooting at West Point, we ALL knew that the 25 mph speed limit did not mean 26 mph...
    We actually had a team member get his car towed from the Point, for an expired inspection sticker!

If you're only 1 over the limit: how hard is it to slow down by that small amount?

Spyder Garage

When my cousin got a ticket for 5kph over the limit, by an OPP officer, she brought it to court and the judge gave the officer a tongue lashing on wasting court time over a frivolous ticket and told him to exercise better judgement in the future.
    If this person could have taken the ticket to court, I bet the same thing would happen and that is why the ticket was dropped.
    I can imagine that his/her sergeant has some words with the cop. That cop is an utter moron and is one of the the reasons for people not liking cops. In my opinion, the cop should be fired because of his superior attitude towards motorists.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Soooooo... Can you show me where it says that "close enough", is okay?
    1.Is it an unusual occurrence? Yes!
    2.Could he have looked the other way? Yes!
    3.Was he operating within the scope of his powers; when he wrote it? Heck Yes!
    4. Would you want Police Officers driving around, and NOT doing their jobs?

Please note that #3 is only one that really matters...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If you're only 1 over the limit: how hard is it to slow down by that small amount?
    I am willing to bet a sack of money that not one person on this site, including myself, could tell if they were riding just 1 KPH over a certain speed. Most cannot tell whether they are within five MPH.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll take that bet!!!
    I'm absolutely CRAZY about speeds and speed limits
    Since I have no depth perception: I have to be extra careful about speeds and following distances...
    It makes me a more alert driver too!

Forget the sack of cash: just try not to generalize so much!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    I am willing to bet a sack of money that not one person on this site, including myself, could tell if they were riding just 1 KPH over a certain speed. Most cannot tell whether they are within five MPH.
    I could probably do it too most of the time. I taught radar to fellow police officers. As part of their certification process, I had to test them and document that they could consistently (20X in a row) accurately judge the speed of a vehicle within 2 MPH by just using their eyes. Every time I taught and tested someone, it served as more practice for me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    David
    you are right but the officer had no proof and i find it hard to believe that a cop can tell the difference of 1kph while driving. if he
    thinks you should get ticketed for disrespecting him then i believe if he is wrong about the speed then he should be fired, fined and
    perhaps jail time for disrespecting the driver. we all have our beliefs but proof and evidence is all that a cop should go by.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Lots of times officers will write a lower speed than the driver was actually going, on the ticket.
    This gives the driver the feeling he got a slight break, and reduces the chance of him fighting the charge. It's the same break some courts offer those drivers that plead NG and show up to contest the ticket, and 90% take that offer and pay it.

In NJ the fines go up with the speed, the charge increments are- 1-10 MPH over, 11-20 MPH over, etc.

And from his training, constant experience, and a certified speedometer in the patrol car, it's quite easy for an officer to judge someone's speed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Contempt of cop...........

This officer needs to rethink his chosen profession. If he can't properly implement discretion into his job he will surely have more troubling days ahead.