Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Initial test of Monster Fuel ECM upgrade

Time & light rain weather limited my testing to 1st & 2nd gear. I would give it a 25% increase in power to the the new 8600 rpm redline. There is a definite increase in power. 25% increase for approx $400 including freight is a really good deal. I've spent $1900 to go from 170 rwhp to 190 rwhp on my 1st hayabusa. Over $10K + on my turbo hayabusa. Brisk would be my definition of upgraded ECM acceleration. Everything else other than new 8600 rpm redline & improved acceleration appear to have remained the same. More info to follow with time & weather permitting.
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Default Hanging on....

'ing...so so far so good. good to know...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question: If you had left the stock rev-limiter in place: how much of an increase do you think that you would have felt?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Question: If you had left the stock rev-limiter in place: how much of an increase do you think that you would have felt?
    It would be the same increase in acceleration--just redline sooner. The redline doesn't need to be changed for the ECM upgrade--it's a free option. It pulled strong right up to 8600. On my hayabusa I had changed it form 10,800 to 11,200 but the power curve dropped off right after 10,800 thus increasing it in that instance didn't help.
    I find it interesting that the same 1330 engine is in the snowmobile & jetski with almost twice the power of the Spyder. It probably has something to do with EPA standards in a few states & countries.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Some One make a video of the install please

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    Some One make a video of the install please

Go to www.monsterfuelinjection.com Click on Can Am Spyder; then click on the "How to section" Click on the F3 video. The hard part ( there isn't a hard part) other than knowing how to release the ecm connector plugs via pushing the bottom button to release the two (2) ECM connectors. good luck--it's easier the 2nd time
    Darrell
    PS: if the ECM is a green color you are working on the wrong side--green color is the Transmission ECM. The Engine ECM is on the left foot side & the ECM color is "black".
    Last edited by Wildrice; 09-20-2017 at 12:21 PM.

Spyder Garage

I'm waiting impatiently for mine to arrive! Do you feel that you def have to use 60% throttle to access the fun? Or is it more towards 50%? Did you find as others have that the nanny is less intrusive for both inline AND corner shenanigans after the flash? Or is it evident for inline interaction only?
    Last edited by hypurone; 09-20-2017 at 05:00 PM.

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    I'm waiting impatiently for mine to arrive! Do you feel that you def have to use 60% throttle to access the fun? Or is it more towards 50%? Did you find as others have that the nanny is less intrusive for both inline AND corner shenanigans after the flash? Or is it evident for inline interaction only?
    I've only had it installed for 4 days & I've never even thought of those issues---anytime I use an estimated % it is only an estimate. Just buy it-install it--no one will regret it--that's a fairly close estimate to 100%.
    Darrell

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    It would be the same increase in acceleration--just redline sooner. The redline doesn't need to be changed for the ECM upgrade--it's a free option. It pulled strong right up to 8600. On my hayabusa I had changed it form 10,800 to 11,200 but the power curve dropped off right after 10,800 thus increasing it in that instance didn't help.
    I find it interesting that the same 1330 engine is in the snowmobile & jetski with almost twice the power of the Spyder. It probably has something to do with EPA standards in a few states & countries.
    Same engine in my Can Am Maverick. Maverick seems to have more get up and go.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Same engine in my Can Am Maverick. Maverick seems to have more get up and go.

Jack

Jack----You have 925 ft lbs of Torque in your new truck at 1800 rpm--swap engines on weekends---remember--I'm here to help
    Darrell
    PS: Off road vehicles usually don't have same EPA standards.
    Last edited by Wildrice; 09-20-2017 at 09:18 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Only about an inch of throttle travel

We only have just over an inch of total throttle travel so 80% vs. 60% is only a little sooner. The intake honk of the stock F3 starts around 5,000 rpm but only when you roll the throttle open 80%. Flashed it's just a 1/4" sooner in throttle travel. If you have seen the video of the test RT You'll notice on two of the three hole shots the nanny doesn't kick in with the 25' burn outs. With 25% more power across the RPM range even if the nanny kicks in you still are putting out more power than stock. Please allow a tank and 1/2 half of gas before you get full results. The flashed ECU needs to collect HO2S readings to load up the correct fuel mapping. This means you have to red line the bike as it needs that data.
    The sweet spot for the F3 platform starts at 4,800 rpm then the energy continues to build all the way to red line.
    Have fun, be safe and post your results

Spyder Garage

Do you have any vids that show us WHAT the Spyder is actually doing with respect to the road & surrounding area?? I'd really like to see something other than just the gauges & the key rattling, cos apart from the gauges moving, so far we have seen NOTHING that shows the Spyder actually doing those burnouts or accelerating fast or even moving... I'm sorry, but that dash only vision is something any kid on a video game can produce & doesn't really show us anything extraordinary. I believe it's there, but I really want to SEE it happening, not just the gauges moving! Please.....
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Do you have any vids that show us WHAT the Spyder is actually doing with respect to the road & surrounding area?? I'd really like to see something other than just the gauges & the key rattling, cos apart from the gauges moving, so far we have seen NOTHING that shows the Spyder actually doing those burnouts or accelerating fast or even moving... I'm sorry, but that dash only vision is something any kid on a video game can produce & doesn't really show us anything extraordinary. I believe it's there, but I really want to SEE it happening, not just the gauges moving! Please.....
    Peter--this is Not a Rocket--I have your same problem with Perception---Initially I expected similar acceleration increases as I had with my Hayabusa after spending $10K+ ++on the turbo with engine rod-piston replacement-head porting-secondary fuel injection- camshaft-tranny upgrade to handle the power--that was going from 180 rwhp to 344 rwhp on a 530 lb bike with 210# of torque. The www.monsterfuelinjection.com is an excellent increase in power for approx $400 with the ECM upgrade. Don't expect to race a sportbike & win, but you will notice a significant increase in acceleration. It's the best deal in town for the money considering the other $400 spent on flashing lights not to mention ELKA suspension upgrade costs. Try it--you'll like it--give it at least one full tank of gas for the ECM to adjust.
    Darrell
    PS: I'll msg you a 5 meg 5 sec video of the busa
    http://s256.photobucket.com/user/dvf...xk1nm.mp4.html
    Last edited by Wildrice; 09-21-2017 at 10:22 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Elka Suspension

Can you tell me more about the Elka Suspension? My stock suspension on my 2016 F3L is very comfortable but it dribbles around like a basketball on the front end with one tire bumps. I don't want to trade the comfort for a harder sport suspension just to stop the dribble? Can I keep it soft and still get some rebound?
    Thanks

ELKA suspension upgrade costs.
    PS: I'll msg you a 5 meg 5 sec video of the busa
    http://s256.photobucket.com/user/dvf...xk1nm.mp4.html

Spyder Garage

Thanks Wildrice, even tho it's short, that little vid gives some frame of reference that allows the viewer to SEE what you are talking about. Now all I want is to see is something similar for the upgrades provided by the ECU/ECM flash.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in Lodi View Post
    Can you tell me more about the Elka Suspension? My stock suspension on my 2016 F3L is very comfortable but it dribbles around like a basketball on the front end with one tire bumps. I don't want to trade the comfort for a harder sport suspension just to stop the dribble? Can I keep it soft and still get some rebound?
    Thanks
    https://us.elkasuspension.com/spyder-shock-absorbers/
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I've only had it installed for 4 days & I've never even thought of those issues---anytime I use an estimated % it is only an estimate. Just buy it-install it--no one will regret it--that's a fairly close estimate to 100%.
    Darrell
    What model F3 do you have? Was yours an immediate thing? My first 250 mile ride with the new flash was underwhelming!

Chuck

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default UNDERWHELMING

What model F3 do you have? Was yours an immediate thing? My first 250 mile ride with the new flash was underwhelming!
    Question .... I've read that after the " flash " the engine needs to run at Idle for a certain period of time , so the system can make adjustments , to re-set itself ...... If you've done this , I'd contact them ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Question .... I've read that after the " flash " the engine needs to run at Idle for a certain period of time , so the system can make adjustments , to re-set itself ...... If you've done this , I'd contact them ..... Mike
    Hmmm, yeah, did that while I was putting the Tupperware back on. Brought it up to full temp then shut it off. Plus there was a fair amount of idling and several key on/key off's on the ride... Bummer! With the amount of shipping time (even with 2-3 day it took longer than it was supposed to) and cost of shipping, I'm not gonna send it back.... Sometimes things don't work out or are not what you expected. Such is life...

Chuck

Spyder Garage

Default settings

Time & light rain weather limited my testing to 1st & 2nd gear. I would give it a 25% increase in power to the the new 8600 rpm redline. There is a definite increase in power. 25% increase for approx $400 including freight is a really good deal. I've spent $1900 to go from 170 rwhp to 190 rwhp on my 1st hayabusa. Over $10K + on my turbo hayabusa. Brisk would be my definition of upgraded ECM acceleration. Everything else other than new 8600 rpm redline & improved acceleration appear to have remained the same. More info to follow with time & weather permitting.
    Darrell
    Wildrice, what were your entries on the form? Not too sure about them but do think it wothwhile to have my ECM tuned.
    2020 F3S , Matte black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ECU FLASH

Hmmm, yeah, did that while I was putting the Tupperware back on. Brought it up to full temp then shut it off. Plus there was a fair amount of idling and several key on/key off's on the ride... Bummer! With the amount of shipping time (even with 2-3 day it took longer than it was supposed to) and cost of shipping, I'm not gonna send it back.... Sometimes things don't work out or are not what you expected. Such is life...
    .If I were you ... I'd contact them and find out what's going on ..... NO ONE else here has reported Poor performance .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 09-25-2017 at 08:12 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .If I were you ... I'd contact them and find out what's going on ..... NO ONE else here has reported Poor performance .... Mike
    I get where you're coming from but I'm 99 percent sure he is gonna say he would need to "see it" to know..

What's weird is, I hit ALL of the rpm range repeatedly over and over during the ride but maybe it takes longer than a tank and a quarter. .. I'm just gonna run with it the way it is.

Just a bit bummed as others have noticed it being night and day right out of the box. ...
    Last edited by hypurone; 09-25-2017 at 09:34 PM.

Chuck

Spyder Garage

I get where you're coming from but I'm 99 percent sure he is gonna say he would need to "see it" to know..

What's weird is, I hit ALL of the rpm range repeatedly over and over during the ride but maybe it takes longer than a tank and a quarter. .. I'm just gonna run with it the way it is.

Just a bit bummed as others have noticed it being night and day right out of the box. ...
    Yeah, he MIGHT say that, hypurone, but on the other hand, he might know exactly what the issue is. A phone call is definitely the best first course of action.

It's a bit unfair to publicly dismiss the upgrade as being a failure without giving them a chance to indentify what the issue may be.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default Exactly on course for performance

Relax, Let me help with understanding on how this process works. This is NOT a plug and play performance gain. I tell everyone three things.
    1. The ECU flash gains are much more noticeable for the 1330 motors that have the 79 tooth sprockets as they are the most restricted. The RT owner will notice the performance gains starting around 4,000 rpm. For the 1330 motors with the 89 tooth sprocket the real gains start to stand out around 6,800 to red line. The reason for this is because the Stock F3 winds out the first three gears so quickly now that unless you race for a living you won't really notice a couple of bike lengths.
    2. For the F3S platform, and somewhat for the RT platform you have to have a need for the flash. I had a Daytona owner pm me saying he just doesn't feel anything. I asked where he is shifting and he replied between 3K and 4K. If you don't have the need for two up passing power on an RT or shift your F3S routinely above 5,000 rpm, the benefits of the flash won't rock you world.
    3. It takes at least a tank and 1/2 of gas for the finale mapping to START to be in place. If you live in the city and are following friends around you won't be spending as much time ABOVE 60% throttle as someone who rides solo and lives in the rural area. The ECU is collecting Air to Fuel readings and is only getting the readings it needs to make adjustments above 60% throttle because below it is still stock. Can-Am programmed the ECU to make ONLY small fuel adjustments based on hundreds of input readings and this is a good thing.

So here is what you WILL get with a flash when finale mapping is in place. It takes between 300 to 500 miles for the ECU to collect the data it needs to make the finale mapping.
    For an RT owner you will have huge roll on power improvements as you won't need to down shift as much to get the bike moving for two up passing or for some spirited riding with fast friends.
    For the 89 tooth F3 owners you will be hard pressed to notice the gains while winding out the first three gears. The bike is just a LITTLE quicker in that area mostly because the stock bike is already very quick at slower speeds. Where the finale flash results really start to shine is when the F3S is under FULL load. This is higher speeds and 4th, 5th and 6th gears. If you have the Cat IN Place with an open exhaust pipe you will start to notice the bike is more willing to smoke the tire off the line and will hear some NEW tire chirping in 2nd gear acceleration. Then when you take a sweeping corner in 4th gear around 6,800 rpm and hold the throttle open the bike just snaps out the RPMs to red line. If you selected the stock 8,100 flash and were riding next to a totally stock F3S you would pull about 4 to 6 bike lengths. The advantage is even bigger in 5th and 6th gear for side by side.

At the end of the day, a flashed Spyder is only modestly faster than it was stock. There is still SPEED RESTRICTIONS keeping the 1330 motor from reaching full potential. I am just a tester for the ECU flashes and I have tested over 8 ECUs which are trying to remove the speed restrictions with no success. My understanding of this complex lingering task is that Can-Am intentionally disguised where this programming is in the ECU code. The Monster fuel team literally has spent huge time and resources on the speed restriction goal
    When the upgrade ECU flash that finally gets the speed restrictions removed becomes available ANYONE who has paid for a flash gets the upgrade for free for the cost of shipping.
    When the speed restrictions get removed and F3S will pull 5th and 6th gear cleanly to red line. Right now all F3S stall at 7,500 rpm / 105 MPH as the butterflies are starting to close down you fun.

Hope this helps
    Dennis

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CasN View Post
    Wildrice, what were your entries on the form? Not too sure about them but do think it wothwhile to have my ECM tuned.
    I use 93 Octane on my 2015 F3's SE6, new redline is 8600. Going by the "Seat of my pants" which is not accurate--I feel different results on different days--"maybe I need new pants" I'm replacing the Cat for off the line performance, then I'll get a better feeling of the entire RPM spectrum. The Flash does add power in the upper RPM's.
    Frankly I don''t see how the ECM could adjust itself while letting the Spyder idle, for the ECM to adjust for a better tune it needs to evaluate the setting at different RPM's.
    Darrell
    Last edited by Wildrice; 09-26-2017 at 10:07 AM.