Spyder Garage

Default Non directional tires up front?

Has anybody put non directional tires up front?

Spyder Garage

Default non directional tires

The short answer is YES; just replace with the OEM size in any old car tire you care to use; my vote goes to the Conti- pros
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yup, what he said. All kinds of non-directional tires available.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Non directional tires ?

And why do you want non-directional ?

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Many brands View Post
    And why do you want non-directional ?
    Directional or non-directional refers to the tread pattern and how it is made to push water away. The advantage of non-directional is you can swap them side to side and run them in the other direction. Avoids having to dismount and remount the tires on the rims.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default MIND

KEEP IN MIND THAT NON-DIRECTIONAL TIRES DO NOT DISPERSE WATER AS WELL AS DIRECTIONAL TIRES DO... also keep in mind that your SPYD3R does not weigh as much as an automobile... those 2 combinations can cause you to think twice when riding on wet surfaces... you would hydroplane more easily on the non-directionals (not to say you WILL, but could)... other than that, you should be ok....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Thanks all, it would be nice to be able to rotate the tires.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Of course, all you need to do is slow down in the rain and no hydroplaning. You should slow down anyway......

Spyder Garage

I am running General Altimax on front. I have a 2011, so I have 14" rims. I really like them.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..

If you want directional tires there are car tires that are directional.....just have to search them out...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    KEEP IN MIND THAT NON-DIRECTIONAL TIRES DO NOT DISPERSE WATER AS WELL AS DIRECTIONAL TIRES DO... also keep in mind that your SPYD3R does not weigh as much as an automobile... those 2 combinations can cause you to think twice when riding on wet surfaces... you would hydroplane more easily on the non-directionals (not to say you WILL, but could)... other than that, you should be ok....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R
    The RE-92's I had on my previous spyder weren't directional and out performed the stock Kendas wet or dry. Those things would keep the front planted in standing water at 55 MPH.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

KEEP IN MIND THAT NON-DIRECTIONAL TIRES DO NOT DISPERSE WATER AS WELL AS DIRECTIONAL TIRES DO...
    Is that a proven fact or mostly marketing hype?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And then there are asymmetrical tires which have an inside and outside but can be rotated without remounting.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default NO NO NO

Quote Originally Posted by regor View Post
    Thanks all, it would be nice to be able to rotate the tires.
    DO NOT ROTATE YOUR TIRES BY WAY OF TAKING THE TIRE/WHEEL ASSEMBLY OFF, AND MOVING IT TO THE OPPOSITE SIDES...
    correct rotation of non-directional tires would be to mark the outside wall or each tire, then removing the tires from the rims, and remounting them with the 'mark' on the inside... this would allow you to have the former right side tire on the left, and vise-versa for the opposite side... now your tires would hit the road and spin in the same direction as they did originally...
    tires take a 'set' in a few hundred miles, and if you do the above, you risk your tires developing serious issues... NO, i am not a tire guy, but we have a Michelin engineer that rides with us, and he's informed us of many issues with tires...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NON VS. NORMAL

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Is that a proven fact or mostly marketing hype?
    I vote for ...HYPE ... if it wasn't Hype ... they would be the ONLY type of tires Sold ....that's the easy to understand version .... Mike

Spyder Garage

No Comment.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

DO NOT ROTATE YOUR TIRES BY WAY OF TAKING THE TIRE/WHEEL ASSEMBLY OFF, AND MOVING IT TO THE OPPOSITE SIDES...
    correct rotation of non-directional tires would be to mark the outside wall or each tire, then removing the tires from the rims, and remounting them with the 'mark' on the inside... this would allow you to have the former right side tire on the left, and vise-versa for the opposite side... now your tires would hit the road and spin in the same direction as they did originally...
    tires take a 'set' in a few hundred miles, and if you do the above, you risk your tires developing serious issues... NO, i am not a tire guy, but we have a Michelin engineer that rides with us, and he's informed us of many issues with tires...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R
    Sorry, but your Michelin engineer friend is mistaken. Here's a quote from tiresafety.com, a website of Bridgestone. http://www.tiresafety.com/maint/maint_content.asp In the very early days of radial tires the general advice was not to reverse the rotation but that hasn't been the case for years.

Modified Cross Rotation
    The "Modified Cross Pattern" provides the best results and can be performed on any Front or Rear Wheel Drive vehicle equipped with 4 non-directional tires. (directional tires must be rotated front to rear only.)
    NOTE:
    * Free rolling axle tires are crossed and installed to the drive axle, while the drive axle tires are brought straight to the free rolling axle (without crossing).
    * Make sure you maintain vehicle manufacturers inflation recommendations after rotating tires.
    * Directional treads are designed to perform in the direction denoted on the tire sidewall only. They must always be rotated front to rear - despite the type of vehicle they are installed on - so the direction of the revolution does not change.
    img1.jpg

Here's a quote from the Michelin tire owner's manual.

When
    rotating tires with a directional tread pattern, observe the arrows molded
    on the sidewall that show the direction in which the tire should rotate.
    Care must be taken to maintain the proper rotation direction.
    Do not reverse rotation only applies to directional tires, and that is because of the tread pattern, not tire construction.

2014 Copper RTS