Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Penalized !! For owning a Spyder !!

The lead -in :-
    I currently have the auto's and home insured with The Hartford, through AARP -- attached is an umbrella policy.
    Spyder insured with Geico.

I get an e-mail from The Hartford saying "we now insure motorcycles" -- cool ! I was waiting to consolidate ALL vehicles.

After a lengthy talk with the Hartford agent (who are using Foremost for the motorcycles insurance) I was informed that they will NOT insure anything with 3 wheels, only 2 wheel motorcycles and 4 wheel cars. !!

And now they know I own a motorcycle, I am putting my Umbrella Policy in jeopardy -- WTF !!

He went on to explain why 3 wheels are unsafe, back wheels lifting off the ground, etc, etc.
    I went on to explain the safety features inherent in the Spyder, it being A REVERSE TRIKE , etc, etc -- nanny, etc

"No matter Sir, our policy is what it is. If you wish to keep your Umbrella Policy (now they know I own a bike) you will have to get rid of your Spyder - it having 3 wheels."
    I told him the policy was ridiculous (he did agree, but "policy is policy" ) and was amazed when I told him to cancel the Umbrella as the Spyder is staying !!

"It is your choice" was the reply , -- no kidding

I will be getting a notice of cancellation, BUT, in the meantime, they will review their policy concerning 3 wheels as they don't want to lose customers.

Any of you guys come across this situation ?? ---- Is this cause I live in Kalifornia ??
    Bob Denman to the white courtesy phone please
    Last edited by HayRog; 09-19-2017 at 12:55 PM.

Spyder Garage

I have had my Spyder insured by Foremost for four years. The premium is reasonable and there are no special terms (i.e. different than my other two wheelers which are also on the policy) attached to it. I live in Virginia.

Alan.

Spyder Garage

When I was shopping insurance last year for the Spyders, AARP Foremost had no trouble quoting for the spyders. They do indeed write policies for them. They were not competitive with GEICO but they offered a policy. Your agent did not know what he was talking about.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Sounds like its time for a new insurance agent and maybe a new company.

I have all mine with State Farm. Currently: 1 house, 1 car, 2 Spyders, 1 motorcycle. Been happy since 1965.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-19-2017 at 05:28 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Me too. I have Foremost on my Critter and the only problem I had was their system told them it was a 998. I told them they were in dire need of updating. This was August last year.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

No problem here with Geico other than the premium for the Spyder is quite a chunk of change higher than my other (2 wheel) motorcycles.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

See if Safeco writes in your State...
    I've got my:
    Home
    Car
    Motorhome
    Spyder
    and Umbrella with them..
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Foremost on two spyders here!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You guys, except Bob, missed what he is saying. His Homeowner's insurance is with Hartford which includes an umbrella policy. Hartford is willing to insure two wheel motorcycles by partnering with Foremost, but not 3 wheel motorcycles. Because the umbrella policy provides liability coverage when the limits of the m/c policy have been reached, and they won't insure 3 wheel motorcycles via this partnership, they also will not provide umbrella coverage the includes a 3 wheel motorcycle. His issue is with Hartford, not Foremost.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 09-19-2017 at 02:49 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would look into switching and putting everything under another company. Its wise to shop around every 3 years at the very most. You will be surprised at how much cheaper you can get insured for. Most people don't and that is what your insurance company is banking on. I have everything under American Family Insurance. So far for me in my area, its been hands down the cheapest With My Spyder at full coverage for 299.00 for 12 months.

Spyder Garage

I have State Farm with no issue
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

They are giving you a big load of SH*T.... I have AARP Hartford Ins. on
    House, Shop, truck, 3 cars, a 5th. wheel trailer and 1 Honda PC800 and
    my Spyder. all on the umberella policy... the person you were talking to
    in uninformed and needs some training.. call back and get a supervisor.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by HayRog View Post
    I currently have the auto's and home insured with The Hartford, through AARP -- attached is an umbrella policy.

I get an e-mail from The Hartford saying "we now insure motorcycles" -- cool ! I was waiting to consolidate ALL vehicles.

After a lengthy talk with the Hartford agent (who are using Foremost for the motorcycles insurance) I was informed that they will NOT insure anything with 3 wheels, only 2 wheel motorcycles and 4 wheel cars. !!

And now they know I own a motorcycle, I am putting my Umbrella Policy in jeopardy -- WTF !!

He went on to explain why 3 wheels are unsafe, back wheels lifting off the ground, etc, etc.
    I went on to explain the safety features inherent in the Spyder, it being A REVERSE TRIKE , etc, etc -- nanny, etc

"No matter Sir, our policy is what it is. If you wish to keep your Umbrella Policy (now they know I own a bike) you will have to get rid of your Spyder - it having 3 wheels."
    I told him the policy was ridiculous (he did agree, but "policy is policy" ) and was amazed when I told him to cancel the Umbrella as the Spyder is staying !!

"It is your choice" was the reply , -- no kidding

I will be getting a notice of cancellation, BUT, in the meantime, they will review their policy concerning 3 wheels as they don't want to lose customers.

Any of you guys come across this situation ?? ---- Is this cause I live in Kalifornia ??
    Bob Denman to the white courtesy phone please

Spyder Garage

Allstate, + Umbrella all vehicles, home etc.. Allstate was actually the least expensive for my area.

Spyder Garage

Default ALL STATE

ALL STATE: 1 SPYD3R, 1 CAR, 1 TRUCK, 1 HOUSE.... low rate...

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    They are giving you a big load of SH*T.... I have AARP Hartford Ins.
    You're probably right, but then again the AARP version may be different from the non-AARP one. And it can vary county by county.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

It varies by zip code. I'm in a small suburban town. One mile away is a city. Insurance rates vary a huge amount between this mile or so.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    You guys, except Bob, missed what he is saying. His Homeowner's insurance is with Hartford which includes an umbrella policy. Hartford is willing to insure two wheel motorcycles by partnering with Foremost, but not 3 wheel motorcycles. Because the umbrella policy provides liability coverage when the limits of the m/c policy have been reached, and they won't insure 3 wheel motorcycles via this partnership, they also will not provide umbrella coverage the includes a 3 wheel motorcycle. His issue is with Hartford, not Foremost.
    Thank you

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    You're probably right, but then again the AARP version may be different from the non-AARP one. And it can vary county by county.
    And thanks again Sir, I forgot to mention that part.

Thanks for all replies so far - looks like I'll be doing some shopping around.
    Shame really, as Hartford (via AARP) has always given me really decent rates.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am always amazed how discrimination is legal when it comes to insurance

Spyder Garage

The Hartford does not have a motorcycle I s policy it is offered thru foremost by the Hartford. If you have word it is handled thru the foremost company. They partner for this. Several. Companies do this. Met sells thru progressive. Etc. I do work for the Hartford and am in the auto claims end of things. And we only look at claimant motor cycles 😀
    JIM EVANS
    2014 RTL, cb,all panels color matched over 300 LEDs, pass armrests sat radio chrome WS brkt, larger w.s, more to come

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by thomasag View Post
    I have had my Spyder insured by Foremost for four years. The premium is reasonable and there are no special terms (i.e. different than my other two wheelers which are also on the policy) attached to it. I live in Virginia.

Alan.
    Have had Foremost for almost three years on my RT.
    American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of GOD.

The Older I get the Better I Was.

Spyder Garage

Default Insurance

Hell, I've got everything with Allstate, House, 2 cars, 2 Harley's and 1 Spyder. I originally had Nationwide for everything, but when I got the Spyder I shopped around and Allstate was the cheapest with great coverage. Nationwide couldn't come close to the price and I'd been with them for over 30 years.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cmarsala View Post
    Hell, I've got everything with Allstate, House, 2 cars, 2 Harley's and 1 Spyder. I originally had Nationwide for everything, but when I got the Spyder I shopped around and Allstate was the cheapest with great coverage. Nationwide couldn't come close to the price and I'd been with them for over 30 years.
    Do you also have an Umbrella policy ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HayRog View Post

Long story short, I had Geico insurance and when I got the Spyder, the policy cost was absurdly high. I have progressive. Very reasonable.
    I have my cars and boat on Progressive also.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Default GEICO here

Quote Originally Posted by classicvw View Post
    No problem here with Geico other than the premium for the Spyder is quite a chunk of change higher than my other (2 wheel) motorcycles.
    The wife and I are at $530/yr with full coverage in Virginia. Seems a bit steep, but I've had to call a tow truck a couple times on my old pickup and the GEICO App works awesome, never a problem.

Steve