Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Seeking Honest Feedback on Russell Daylong Custom Seats

Ever since getting my Spyder earlier this year, I experience pain and cramping in my left hip when ryding. (I have some arthritis in that hip....) I've tried a number of adjustments and products to deal with it and, while they helped a bit, the problem persists. So, I'm considering ordering a Russell Daylong custom seat during the "off-season" (non-ryding) season this winter.

I contacted Russell Daylong and was told the following about whether they could address my specific issue:

The design of the stock seat is higher in the middle and lower on the sides.
    This tends to separate/pull your hip bones apart causing pain over time. Our
    seats are opposite that. Higher on the sides, lower in the middle. They are
    designed to lift up on the outer part of your butt and take the weight off the
    bones in the middle. The design should definitely solve your issue.

I'm not sure whether this analysis makes sense and whether that last sentence is just marketing hype in hopes of making a sale.

So, I'm seeking honest feedback (both positive and negative) from those of you who have ordered one of these seats:

1. What was the reason you bought one? (ie - what problem did you hope it would address?)
    2. Did it resolve your problem to the extent that you hoped for?, and
    3. If it DID NOT work out for you -- what did you do about getting another seat for your Spyder (since it was sacrificed to be modified by Russell)?
    4. Any other issues to think about?

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Default WALLET

do your carry your WALLET in your left rear pocket...?
    if so, try removing it and placing it in another spot...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    Dan P
    SPYD3R
    Nope. I haven't done that for at least 20 years now.

I know what you're getting at...but's it's my hip joint that hurts, not my butt cheek.

Thanks.

Spyder Garage

We don't have one on the F3, but I have had one on my 2014 Valkyrie and I wouldn't have any other seat. If you went to Spyderquest you may have seen a black Valkyrie sitting behind a black F3. That would have been my bike. The Russel seat is the best seat I have ever had. It did take a few weeks to break it in, but now that it has it is like sitting on a lazyboy. I have back problems and the Russel seat as well as the backrest do the trick. I can ride for a whole day without any issues now.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    We don't have one on the F3, but I have had one on my 2014 Valkyrie and I wouldn't have any other seat. If you went to Spyderquest you may have seen a black Valkyrie sitting behind a black F3. That would have been my bike. The Russel seat is the best seat I have ever had. It did take a few weeks to break it in, but now that it has it is like sitting on a lazyboy. I have back problems and the Russel seat as well as the backrest do the trick. I can ride for a whole day without any issues now.
    As a matter of fact, I WAS at Spyderquest. Too bad that I didn't meet you.

Good to hear your feelings on the Russell and that it helped with your back problems. Do you feel that the seat itself helps your back problems, or do you feel it's the backrest that really addresses it?

Thanks!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    So, I'm seeking honest feedback (both positive and negative) from those of you who have ordered one of these seats:
    This will make the 4th bike I've had a Russell seat made for.....when I get around to doing it.

In all previous cases, it was a vast improvement over stock and more than doubled my effective riding time.......but never completely eliminated butt ache after many hours. I have a bony butt.

And in this and all previous cases I first bought a used seat from someone else who had "upgraded" to a different seat that came complete.
    I already have my extra Spyder seat. This eliminates the down time. And once happy with the new one, you can pass your "old" seat on to the next guy.

Riding in Florida, I have as much of a problem with moisture buildup "funk" as I do with cramps.......so I will be getting my RDL with one of the fabric tops for better ventilation. I need to talk to them about which fabric and what color before ordering.

Spyder Garage

I'm a Russell fan.

1.I bought it because I could never get more that about 45 minutes of comfort out of OEM seats and also a Mustang in one case.

2. Russell did indeed address that issue by giving me a perfect seating position. If they claim it will assist with addressing your hip issue, they would probably be right as all day comfy seating is their speciality. However, I have not seen any research saying it will absolutely, positively address it. I also have an arthritic hip that's well on the way out and I get no hip pain on the F3..... BUT.....I have had it since day 2, so I don't know if the shape of the stock seat would have been pain free anyway (I doubt it though).

3. If you are worried about cutting up your stock seat, find an old one on eBay and get that sent to Russell.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I'm on Russell seat number 6. I can't say it will solve your problem but It sure makes my arthritic hips and knees happier. The Russell moves you up and back a bit. and they will move the passenger back if needed. After you have some miles on it they will make adjustments if needed. Top notch customer service. An interesting point is that the top ten finishers in the Iron Butt Rally this year were all on Russell seats. That says a lot.

Spyder Garage

Default RDL seats

This is my second RDL seat, was in misery after less than 1/2 of tank gone on the OEM set. Replaced OEM @ 17,000, currently have 48 K on bike. Went to California, and all the states in between, have been to Vermont, New York New Hampsire and Maine. average day is 5-700 miles before stopping for the might. Do ass they request, order it made the way you want it and enjoy.

Don't see many RDL's for sale on the aftermarket; can't say the same for corbin, ultimate, and others. JMO
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I ride a 2015 F3. I rode up to Russell (about 2 1/2 hours away) in July of 2015. I took my stock seat boxed up in my trailer. I was using the Cannonball seat after upgrading from the stock seat. They took some pictures and measurements and gave me a build date of late August. They stayed in touch and shipped my seat to me when it was done. Been on that seat ever since. I love this seat. The stock seat was good for about 90 minutes. The Cannonball worked for about two hours. The Russell? Just like it says, Day Long, I can ride all day long with no discomfort and climb back on the very next day and do it again. IMHO, best seat in the business.

Very Happy Spyder Guy
    The 2015 F3 has over 46,000 miles
    Have Spyder...Will Travel

Spyder Garage

Default Rdl

Ever since getting my Spyder earlier this year, I experience pain and cramping in my left hip when ryding. (I have some arthritis in that hip....) I've tried a number of adjustments and products to deal with it and, while they helped a bit, the problem persists. So, I'm considering ordering a Russell Daylong custom seat during the "off-season" (non-ryding) season this winter.

I contacted Russell Daylong and was told the following about whether they could address my specific issue:

I'm not sure whether this analysis makes sense and whether that last sentence is just marketing hype in hopes of making a sale.

1. What was the reason you bought one? (ie - what problem did you hope it would address?)
    3. If it DID NOT work out for you -- what did you do about getting another seat for your Spyder (since it was sacrificed to be modified by Russell)?

Thanks!
    You are asking a very difficult question. Seats are not made for relieving hip discomfort due arthritis or other problems. I would suggest you consult a competent, board certified orthopedic surgeon who specializes in hip replacement or treatment before investing in a New seat. That said, RDL has been the finest seat rebuilder I've Encountered. My wife Had hip replacement just before I had seat done at RDL. She was not happy with comfort level. We went back to shop and they redid her part of the seat. She is now happy. Nofuss, took seat in adjusted for her without complaint or drama. I highly recommend company, but not sure they can fix your problem.

Spyder Garage

Default Love it!

I received my Russell Daylong seat about two months ago and would never look back again. I was only able to ride on the OEM seat for about an hour and then was stiff and sore. The lateral support makes a world of difference and the pressure points that I felt on my hip are gone. It does take a few miles to get used to being a little higher in the saddle but it breaks in and you are definitely "in the pocket" to ride. It truly is a daylong rider for me and well worth the $795 I spent on it versus the money I spent at the chiropractor after riding.

Spyder Garage

I'm not sure if they still do it, but you can check their website. My RDL was done around October, and they gave discounts on the seats during the winter months, I got a great seat, and a discount!

john

Spyder Garage

Default modern chiropractor

At age 60 I had a left hip area that gave me problems sleeping on my left side and from getting comfortable while sitting. My doctor suggested physical therapy which only agitated the problem. Someone suggest the modern special chiropractor which has nothing to do with moving or adjusting bones. What fixed me almost immediately was sports tape therapy and a device called an integrator snapping tool?? My simple understanding is it snaps specific nerves near the spine which re-establishes correct communication to the brain. With the sports tape technology on my back and my brain being informed that it was communicating with the wrong muscle groups the results were almost instant. When I sat in my car on the way home the tape pulled on certain muscles and made me feel like I was sitting crooked when I was actually sitting correctly straight for the first time in many years. The snapping tool also fixed a nagging knot I had between the shoulder blades on my left side. This new sports tape technology and nerve ending communication is really cutting edge treatment

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Thanks!
    I have had their seat on two spyders for over 6 years. I bought it cause I wasn't comfortable on the stock seat.
    I have been very comfortable.
    I bought a seat from a spyder owner that had left over from his seat conversion, sent that seat to RDL , they sent it back and I had dealership install new seat.

There is defiantly a break in period, but not to long.
    If I were to do it again and I had the time I would ride to the factory and have it built while I was there

They are expensive but for me well worth it and the service was great.

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=newbert;1301764]Ever since getting my Spyder earlier this year, I experience pain and cramping in my left hip when ryding. (I have some arthritis in that hip....) I've tried a number of adjustments and products to deal with it and, while they helped a bit, the problem persists. So, I'm considering ordering a Russell Daylong custom seat during the "off-season" (non-ryding) season this winter.

No honest feed back in this group. It's all about opinions!

​jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    No honest feed back in this group. It's all about opinions!
    I think it may be useful to note that there have been NO negative "opinions" offered so far.
    This is typical of the responses when the "Russell" question is asked in every forum I've ever been in.

They may not be perfect but, in my opinion, they are pretty damned good.

Spyder Garage

For those getting an RDL seat has anyone sent them a BRP comfort seat or just the standard stock seat? I'm currently riding on the comfort seat and think I would want to use this seat pan to still get the 2" back.
    Wayne Bishop

2015 RT-S Special Series
    2017 F3 Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    I think it may be useful to note that there have been NO negative "opinions" offered so far.
    This is typical of the responses when the "Russell" question is asked in every forum I've ever been in.

They may not be perfect but, in my opinion, they are pretty damned good.
    Yup. I've definitely noticed that! I like what I'm reading so far.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wrb3004 View Post
    For those getting an RDL seat has anyone sent them a BRP comfort seat or just the standard stock seat? I'm currently riding on the comfort seat and think I would want to use this seat pan to still get the 2" back.
    Wayne, you just have to make sure that when you take the photos of you on your current seat, it is exactly the same model seat that you send to them for modifications. Russell took a stock F3 seat that I purchased in the US (to save shipping from Aus), and moved the seating back 2" and up 2" to give me the correct posture angle for my 38" inleg.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Yup. I've definitely noticed that! I like what I'm reading so far.
    Then you should "like" or "thank" some of the posts to let the posters know that their info has helped, Newbert

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Default I have had two RDL seats

Thanks!
    RDL seats are the best - however no seat can correct pain created by an arthritic hip - have you had any physical therapy for the hip? Any massage? Do daily stretches for the flexors and extensor muscles that affect your hip? Do you take any non steroidal anti inflamatories? Do you ice your hip 25 mins every night (never use heat). As a neuromuscular therapist I can assure you these things can be helpful and may even eliminate your pain. All that said, the RDL seat is the finest there is. IMO of course.

Spyder Garage

Default they call it an ACTIVATOR

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in Lodi View Post
    At age 60 I had a left hip area that gave me problems sleeping on my left side and from getting comfortable while sitting. My doctor suggested physical therapy which only agitated the problem. Someone suggest the modern special chiropractor which has nothing to do with moving or adjusting bones. What fixed me almost immediately was sports tape therapy and a device called an integrator snapping tool?? My simple understanding is it snaps specific nerves near the spine which re-establishes correct communication to the brain. With the sports tape technology on my back and my brain being informed that it was communicating with the wrong muscle groups the results were almost instant. When I sat in my car on the way home the tape pulled on certain muscles and made me feel like I was sitting crooked when I was actually sitting correctly straight for the first time in many years. The snapping tool also fixed a nagging knot I had between the shoulder blades on my left side. This new sports tape technology and nerve ending communication is really cutting edge treatment
    they call it an activator.

Spyder Garage

n
    Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Wayne, you just have to make sure that when you take the photos of you on your current seat, it is exactly the same model seat that you send to them for modifications. Russell took a stock F3 seat that I purchased in the US (to save shipping from Aus), and moved the seating back 2" and up 2" to give me the correct posture angle for my 38" inleg.

Pete
    Thanks Pete. Was thinking about doing an RDL as a winter project.
    Wayne Bishop

2015 RT-S Special Series
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

As a matter of fact, I WAS at Spyderquest. Too bad that I didn't meet you.

Good to hear your feelings on the Russell and that it helped with your back problems. Do you feel that the seat itself helps your back problems, or do you feel it's the backrest that really addresses it?

Thanks!
    I can't speak for the Russell as I have an Ultimate seat but I did want to say the backrest makes a HUGE difference. I wouldn't have any seat without the backrest. I'm sure the Russell is great and probably even better with the backrest.
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box