Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
I hope you are correct. As for me, I think anything less than the 998 V-twin would be too weak. That engine was very nice in my 2012 RSS, and i would buy another in a minute. It had great power, but I wouldn't want any less.

I'd have to agree with this. Any less power than the old 998 would be a non starter for a lot of people I think. I've ridden both the 600 and 900 ACE motors in the sleds....OMG, they can barely push a snowmobile down the trail and the sleds weigh less than a Spyder. They are way too utilitarian in there power delivery (think lawn mower). I wouldn't even consider them in a Spyder unless they had some reworking. I'm not saying they need to use the 998, they can use a 250 if they want. I just think whatever power plant they use has to make close to 100 HP and delivery it properly to be a satisfactory power plant for a bike that would weigh 550-800lbs.

Taking a page from the Ski-Doo line. They make an MXz model that has 5 different engine choices and a variety of suspension choices. The entry level MXz TNT can be as little as $7000 (600 carb motor putting out 120hp, and older rear suspension with low budget shocks). The top of the line performance MXz X-RS runs about $15000 but you get a 850, computer controlled engine with 170hp, the best suspension on snow and the premium shocks as well as some electronic upgrades. They are both essentially the same chassis and sled, just configured differently. I don't know why they don't do the same thing with the Spyder? It is to some level now but not to the same extent as the sleds.

I do believe they want/need an entry level Spyder. The Sea-Doo's, the sleds, the ATV's they all have a lower cost entry level option.