Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Water in Fusebox

Since the Can-am Spyder RT is no longer supplied with the automatic Funk opener where that was fitted there is now a gap in the cover that covers the Radiator filler bottle
    This gap does sits above one of the fuse boxes this may allow water in
    Perhaps BRP should now supply a cover without the gap in it
    See:- Photos
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I highly doubt that this will prevent water from entering the fuse cover

Spyder Garage

Are you actually getting water in that fuse box?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

If water is getting into your fuse box. Your post is not clear if you are. There is a problem with the fuse box not the parts around it.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    If water is getting into your fuse box. Your post is not clear if you are. There is a problem with the fuse box not the parts around it.
    The reason I posted this, someone had posted a problem with water in their RT Fusebox on a 2014 model on another site
    Not sure if it was the base model but as I have the Base RT there is a gap that is not occupied
    By the Switch etc in that cover
    Although as far as I know I haven't had any water seep down into a fuse box it was something that may need further investigation
    as we don't have the number of storms in the UK that others have experienced in other countries
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I agree. If water is getting into the fuse box the first possible culprit is the outer fuse box assembly cover that may have a deformed gasket. There is however no gasket on the inner fuse box cover.
    If I understand you correctly you will have to look at your Spyder again. Not sure what you calling inner and outer here. There is only one fuse box cover and there is a fuse box access cover. The fuse box access cover, inside the trunk. Has a foam rubber gasket on it. It's there to stop water that is splashing around the back of the trunk and fuse box, from getting in the trunk and getting your stuff wet. The fuse box cover has what looks like a silicon rubber o-ring gasket. That's the important one. It's there to stop water from getting into your fuse box. If that is the one you are calling the inner and it has no gasket. Well that's bad news and needs to be fixed.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eddieshep999 View Post
    The reason I posted this, someone had posted a problem with water in their RT Fusebox on a 2014 model on another site
    Not sure if it was the base model but as I have the Base RT there is a gap that is not occupied
    By the Switch etc in that cover
    Although as far as I know I haven't had any water seep down into a fuse box it was something that may need further investigation
    as we don't have the number of storms in the UK that others have experienced in other countries
    The fuse box(s) is located behind the front trunk. The trunk and some of the other parts of the Spyder offer some protection, but for the most part is open to the elements. Water splashes around the fuse boxes all the time. During washing and driving in the rain. That's why they are sealed to keep water out. So if it leaks. It's not a bodywork problem. It's fuse box problem. Yes a few of them leak.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default front bonnet latch

if I am reading this correct , the front latch system is no longer used on spyders ? how do they lock ? { wasn`t trying to high jack the thread " or pinch the thread " but I am wondering if your cycle had been altered , the latch system removed ? }

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    If I understand you correctly you will have to look at your Spyder again. Not sure what you calling inner and outer here. There is only one fuse box cover and there is a fuse box access cover. The fuse box access cover, inside the trunk. Has a foam rubber gasket on it. It's there to stop water that is splashing around the back of the trunk and fuse box, from getting in the trunk and getting your stuff wet. The fuse box cover has what looks like a silicon rubber o-ring gasket. That's the important one. It's there to stop water from getting into your fuse box. If that is the one you are calling the inner and it has no gasket. Well that's bad news and needs to be fixed.
    Right, as usual, Billy. I took another look and there are gaskets on both frunk fuse boxes, green in the case of mine. I deleted my erroneous post and what you said about the fuse box access cover is exactly correct. When checking the spare fuses in each fuse box cover this past weekend I noted a small amount of dried grit inside each fuse box access cover and it was evidence of the covers doing their job, keeping water out of the frunk. Should have taken a second look before posting my bum original comment. Thank you for the clarification.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    if I am reading this correct , the front latch system is no longer used on spyders ? how do they lock ? { wasn`t trying to high jack the thread " or pinch the thread " but I am wondering if your cycle had been altered , the latch system removed ? }
    The latch is still there

The gap in the cover was for the Micro switch which was fitted which allowed the funk to be opened with a switch in the bank of switches under the handlebars
    BRP did away with it sometime ago
    The funk still locks as normal and to unlock it you push the key down and turn to the left

Front StorageCompartment
    Opening the Front StorageCompartment
    1. Insert key in ignition switch.
    2. Push and turn the key 1/4 turn coun-terclockwise to the front storagecompartment position and holdwhile lifting cover.

Some have purchased the switch and the micro-switch as an accessory to give them the electronic funk opening option
    Last edited by eddieshep999; 09-19-2017 at 08:26 AM.
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Spyder Garage

Default Hole in cover

On the RTS and RT Limiter there is a micro-switch located where the hole you are pointing out. The micro-switch has a metal arm that sticks out. The function of the micro-switch is to turn on the LED light located in the front left corner when you open the Frunk. Base model RT doesn't have the micro-switch mounted.

Spyder Garage

Default I learned something new

Quote Originally Posted by Doc - Riverside View Post
    On the RTS and RT Limiter there is a micro-switch located where the hole you are pointing out. The micro-switch has a metal arm that sticks out. The function of the micro-switch is to turn on the LED light located in the front left corner when you open the Frunk. Base model RT doesn't have the micro-switch mounted.
    I did not know that so today while washing my Spyder I checked mine. Yep the switch is there, but does not turn on a LED light when open. When the side bags are open or the trunk is open I get the orange screen and a note saying that a cargo door is open.

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod