Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Safe Maximum Miles Before 3K (First) Service?

I currently am at 3402 miles on my 2016 F3-T's odometer. My appointment for the 3K service isn't until 9/26 - eight days from now. My dilemma is that we are currently in the nicest stretch of weather we've had all summer (70's and 80's with sunny skies) and I want to get out and ride! Adding to the dilemma is that a friend of mine is visiting this weekend (before 9/26) with the sole purpose of riding together. So, I'll be piling on some miles then, for sure.

I estimate that, on 9/26, I'll be at about 4K miles if I don't ride until the weekend, and perhaps as much as 4500 miles if I do ride before then. That seems a bit too much over 3K for comfort - but what do I know as a new Spyder owner?

So what do you guys think? What's the safe maximum? Am I overly concerned? Or should I just go out and ride and enjoy myself this week? The Spyder has given me no mechanical problems at all in the 2-1/2 months I've had it. <knock wood> I'd like to keep it that way.

The dealer has nothing open on his schedule before 9/26, so that is not an option.

Thanks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Make sure to check your oil level...

...and enjoy the ride!

Your bike will be fine!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default 6600

i had my 3000 mile check-up @ 5600 some odd miles....
    i now have 44,000 miles of smiles on her.... everything is good to go....
    enjoy riding with your friend, the dealer will be there when you are finished....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Put the miles on, enjoy the prime riding. Your will not blow up at 3,001 miles or more--as long as it is running good now.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Tight Dipstick!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Make sure to check your oil level...

...and enjoy the ride!

Your bike will be fine!
    Thanks everyone - but now I have another question . Following Bob's advice, I figured I'd check the oil level (for the very first time). So, I followed the procedure outlined here.

Took a nice 50 mile ride first, then let it idle for more than 5 minutes while the fan kicked on and off a few times. Then let her sit for another two minutes. - Time to check the level.....and I can't get the dipstick out!

I know that things are always tight the first time (No Jokes, Please!), but this is ridiculous. I assume that you turn it counter-clockwise to loosen it? If so, it won't budge.

So, any ideas on how to proceed?

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    Thanks everyone - but now I have another question . Following Bob's advice, I figured I'd check the oil level (for the very first time). So, I followed the procedure outlined here.

Took a nice 50 mile ride first, then let it idle for more than 5 minutes while the fan kicked on and off a few times. Then let her sit for another two minutes. - Time to check the level.....and I can't get the dipstick out!

I know that things are always tight the first time (No Jokes, Please!), but this is ridiculous. I assume that you turn it counter-clockwise to loosen it? If so, it won't budge.

So, any ideas on how to proceed?

Thanks!
    Yep, it's tight! Just turn counter-clockwise, as you assumed.

Neil
    2020 Harley Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2017 F3-T SE6 White / BRP Backrest / Nuvi 58 LM / Polaris Spring Spacers / CALSCI 22" Shield
    2016 RTE6 , Black