Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst;1302993[SIZE=4
    This method is not based on any scientific fact but is recommended by "Al Gore". [/SIZE]

​Jack
    Good one, Jack.
    Bruce

2014 RTS-SE6
    Tri-Axis Handlebars
    Sena BT Dongle
    Sirius Radio
    Dash bar
    Show Chrome Trunk Rack

"You know that a politician is lying if his lips are moving"

Spyder Garage

Default First charge of "BS" type battery - using Battery Tender?

OK.........Please.....Just to clarify for me.

I've read most everything I can find about buying a "BS" type battery and how to bring it up to 100% charge. All the instructions seem to involve varying current flows and times, but I don't seem to see any clear answer to my question - "Can I just hook up a Battery tender (or equivalent brand unit} to the new battery after filling it with the acid, and let it set a few days.......then install and be 100% good ??

Help appreciated. Note: My current battery is 2014 that was installed when RTL was new. Got 20,000 miles on Spyder now with no indication yet of any issues, but I want to be ready. I do put my Battery Tender on it periodically over "winter", which in Washington is anybody's guess on how long :-))

Spyder Garage

Default to utahpete

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    This is the first time on this thread you have brought up the term 'BS type battery'; it wasn't part of your original question. Not sure what you're asking now.
    Uh Utahpete......my post (from Teninospyder) is a new one from a new person. I wasn't the originator I think you are referring to in your quote (?)

Spyder Garage

I believe the BS refers to the last letters on the battery number which indicates bottle fill yourself and not the factory fill.
    As far as battery maintainers, I also have used the Schumacher maintainers [$40.00] and they work but also use the Harbour Freight maintainers [$6.00]
    at the time for over 12 years. I use them for my motorcycle, quads, snowmobiles etc. and have had the batterys last 12 plus years. In Canada Princes Auto sell
    them [$9.00] and also one of the biggest battery supplyers in Saskatchewan sells them and highly recommends them, They are called a battery float charger and maintainer, they maintain the batterys @ 13.2 volts with my own voltmeter. I am not trying to degrade the more expensive ones but have had just as good luck with the cheap ones and I have about 12 chargers running all the time. Just my opinion.
    Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors

Spyder Garage

Default For those that may be still using an Odyssey PC680

At one point there were quite a few members using it. The Deltran won’t to the job.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...l=1#post300889

Since I had the Deltran at the same time as the Odyssey tender, I placed the Deltran on first, and once there was the green light, I placed the Odyssey tender on, and it was 1 or 2 lights short of the green.
    Last edited by wyliec; 11-10-2017 at 01:23 PM.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    OK.........Please.....Just to clarify for me.

I've read most everything I can find about buying a "BS" type battery and how to bring it up to 100% charge. All the instructions seem to involve varying current flows and times, but I don't seem to see any clear answer to my question - "Can I just hook up a Battery tender (or equivalent brand unit} to the new battery after filling it with the acid, and let it set a few days.......then install and be 100% good ??

Help appreciated. Note: My current battery is 2014 that was installed when RTL was new. Got 20,000 miles on Spyder now with no indication yet of any issues, but I want to be ready. I do put my Battery Tender on it periodically over "winter", which in Washington is anybody's guess on how long :-))
    First of all don't put the acid in until you need to use the battery. It probably will be somewhat charged so a good maintainer will bring it up to full charge in a day or two.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    "Can I just hook up a Battery tender (or equivalent brand unit} to the new battery after filling it with the acid, and let it set a few days.......then install and be 100% good ??
    Yes. Another case of excessive and unnecessary worrying.

You will need to get an AGM battery, either already filled or "fill and seal yourself".

Any name brand automatic tender type charger will work......to bring it up to about 95% of it's total capacity and that is PLENTY.
    That will probably only take about 24 hours.

If the charger does not have some kind of indication that the charge is "full" then it isn't the right kind.

Spyder Garage

Default Battery Tender 101

Quote Originally Posted by Skyla View Post
    Hi Guys, Newbie here, and just bought my Spyder F-3 S 2015. I am in chilly Canada and would love to know what is best for Spyder storage...Battery trickle charger or Battery tender? I read the manual and it did say a Trickle charger can be used but I've also read online that alot of owners prefer the Floating Tender? Which do you think is best for a place that can get below -30C?
    Winnipeg here.
    Battery TENDER. Period. Trickle chargers generally require "you" to push the on/off button. If you forget, you can do some serious damage to the battery.
    A GOOD QUALITY TENDER, however, will sense when it needs to be turned on or off.
    I didn't come up with the preceding; my 'phone call to Deltran confirmed what I had read elsewhere.

You will get many people here that say to get this or that, and my two cents says to get the Deltran Battery Tender ... PN: 022-0185G-DL-WH

http://products.batterytender.com/Mo...fficiency.html

Look around on amazon.ca. Don't overpay ... some Canadian merchants charge w-a-y more than just the exchange rate.
    2014 ST Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    I have used the "Battery Tender" brand for years. I plug it into the rear top trunk 12 volt outlet, which is always hot as I switched the fuse. My spends about 6 months of any given year in my garage on it, and it has never failed to start right up every spring. And this on the original battery. So that's where my vote goes.
    x 2. I have four hooked up. One for the riding lawnmower, one for the Vulcan, and one on each Spyder.

They will be sleeping until March or so. Have always started on the first try.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Star Cruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    I have used the "Battery Tender" brand for years. I plug it into the rear top trunk 12 volt outlet, which is always hot as I switched the fuse. My spends about 6 months of any given year in my garage on it, and it has never failed to start right up every spring. And this on the original battery. So that's where my vote goes.
    I too have swapped the fuse to use the plug in the top trunk 12 Volt Outlet. It is very easy to use. I use a Trickle Charger (Battery Tender Brand) - 100 mA.
    I just plug the charger into the outlet once a month for 24 hours. Haven't had a problem since my first Spyder in 2008. Now on number 3 <and LOVE IT>
    I live in Northern Ontario

Spyder Garage

I have a Schumacher and a Deltran Jr. both are tenders and work great.
    Set up the charging circuit with a SAE plug tied directly into the battery.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Has anyone used a solar charger/tender? I don't have a garage as such, and the mower and Spyder are in the separate car port with no convenient power. Not concerned about the Spyder, rarely a week goes by that I don't ride, but the mower sits a good part of the year.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange