Spyder Garage

Default Fall Colors in Wisconsin and Minnesota

My wife and I are wanting to take a little trip to Wisconsin and Minnesota to see the fall colors.

We will be wanting to travel on WI 35 from Prescott through to Winona, then across the Mississippi returning up US 61.

QUESTION: Is it too early for fall colors in that neck of the woods? Here in Winnipeg, Manitoba (Canada) the trees have started turning and leaves are falling.
    2014 ST Limited

Spyder Garage

Here is a site to check them out. Fall Colors in Wisconsin and Minnesota

Spyderjerry

Spyder Garage

It is way too early for colors along the river in SE Minnesota. Generally, trees along 35 on the Wisconsin side and 61 on the MN side turn pretty late in the season. I checked the WI DNR website for fall colors and I know that most of northern WI is only at 35%. We usually go through the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest earlier in the season and then head south along the river, south of Hastings, late in the season. If you run down the river, go south of Winona to LaCresent and then take Hwy 16 west. Great riding and the colors should be fantastic when they peak. You can meander your way to Chatfield and ride the Root River area heading south again.

Another great run is to head to Boscobel Wisconsin from LaCrosse. Absolutely fantastic riding!

Keep an eye on the DNR's website. Both states track fall colors.

Gunner

Spyder Garage

I forgot to mention that if you are going to cross the river from WI (Hwy 54) to MN at Winona (Hwy 43), there is a nice little bar/restaurant called the Golden Frog in Fountain City. Food is really good and they usually have fresh river catfish on the menu. Hwy54/Hwy 43 is about 5 or 6 miles south of Fountain City. New new bridge is finished that crosses the river into Winona.

One caution about riding in Wisconsin if you haven't traveled much there before...Wisconsin has a long standing reputation for speed enforcement. And most of the little towns have 25mph speed limits. I wouldn't push the limits anywhere in Wisconsin unless you care to make a donation!

Gunner
    Last edited by Gunner3773; 09-17-2017 at 05:52 PM.

Spyder Garage

We were in Winona and LaCrosse this wknd. Leaves need a couple weeks yet. They're starting, but nothing too spectacular anywhere yet. Best area we saw was actually east in Richland Center, WI.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

The website posted above will give you good information.

We spent three hours today looking at fall colors in mostly prime. But that's Alaska for you. We are expecting the leaves to be all down in about two weeks.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default SW WISCONSIN colors

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayBrown View Post
    My wife and I are wanting to take a little trip to Wisconsin and Minnesota to see the fall colors.

We will be wanting to travel on WI 35 from Prescott through to Winona, then across the Mississippi returning up US 61.

QUESTION: Is it too early for fall colors in that neck of the woods? Here in Winnipeg, Manitoba (Canada) the trees have started turning and leaves are falling.
    Both MN and WI have tourism websites that track fall colors. It is a major tourism factor in this area. Here in Rochester MN, there was a Honda group Fall Colors Ride this weekend, and one for Spyders in south west WI, next weekend. I just posted the information from WISOAR on their trip to Monroe County in a fresh thread. Where it has been wet, the leaves are falling faster than they can change colors, but the ride next week should be in temps of low 70s and dry, plus it is into SW Wisconsin, long rumored to be "God's Country". I hope you can make it. J

Spyder Garage

As mentioned, some of the leaves are falling green...just not the nice colors as years past. Got a couple inches of rain the past few days to at least green things up a bit. The corn and soy bean fields add some color, and yes, some of the trees are looking pretty good. A great stretch of weather coming up indeed, for this time of year. Not many left......but this is the best time of year for riding in southern WI.. Go get it!!! The area mentioned is a lot of ridge tops and valleys, so regardless of colors, it's always a nice area to ride. Southwest WI is the best, along the Miss River from Dubuque all the way up the river
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Places to stop in route

on your way to duluth stop at the wolf center best day to visit is sat monday through thursday you may not see anything late fall would not be a good time to visit the bear center because you are getting into hibernation both are in Ely Mn. When you get to wabasha Mn. stop at the eagle center while under the cliffs next to the river we frequently see bald eagles near lake pepin
    2018 F3s , Gold

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    As mentioned, some of the leaves are falling green...just not the nice colors as years past. Got a couple inches of rain the past few days to at least green things up a bit. The corn and soy bean fields add some color, and yes, some of the trees are looking pretty good. A great stretch of weather coming up indeed, for this time of year. Not many left......but this is the best time of year for riding in southern WI.. Go get it!!! The area mentioned is a lot of ridge tops and valleys, so regardless of colors, it's always a nice area to ride. Southwest WI is the best, along the Miss River from Dubuque all the way up the river
    you guys didnt get dumped on up there? our whole area was nuthin but rain till sunday
    morning
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default Fall color

We are headed to LaCrosse on Sat. For a get away. But not on the Spyder.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayBrown View Post

Sorry for the orientation of the pictures. October 15-17.

My wife and I were in Winona Sun-Mon-Tue. Some bluffs were just turning and others looked great. The ride from Winona to Lacrosse is awesome with colors when in full color.
    Guessing that next week would be the week to go (25-28).

Look up The Hillside Fish House Fountain City Wisconsin....have not missed eating there in 35 years.

........." It's a Great Life if you don't weaken' ".........

"You don't stop having fun when you get old...
    you get old when you stop having fun"

" Remember, Aging is Mandatory...
    Maturing is Optional "
    2014 RTS Limited , Matt Grey