Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default LED headlight replacement - early failure problem?

I have two 2014RT bikes, both with TricLED headlight replacements. I recently had one go out on me that I had installed only 4 months ago. Fortunately, I was able to have Ann and Joe Meyers replace it under warranty when I got to the NoCal rally.

My other bike had a different type of LED headlight when I bought it used. One of the bulbs went out a month ago so I replaced both with TricLEDs. The original owner of the Spyder had put those LED headlights in about 2 years ago, so a better life than my failed TricLED light, but still way less than what we expect from LEDs.

Since we buy these LED lights thinking they are not only brighter but also longer-lasting than the OEM halogens, it seems a bit curious that sometimes they fail early.

Has anyone else had this experience with LED headlight replacement bulbs?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I have two 2014RT bikes, both with TricLED headlight replacements. I recently had one go out on me that I had installed only 4 months ago. Fortunately, I was able to have Ann and Joe Meyers replace it under warranty when I got to the NoCal rally.

My other bike had a different type of LED headlight when I bought it used. One of the bulbs went out a month ago so I replaced both with TricLEDs. The original owner of the Spyder had put those LED headlights in about 2 years ago, so a better life than my failed TricLED light, but still way less than what we expect from LEDs.

Since we buy these LED lights thinking they are not only brighter but also longer-lasting than the OEM halogens, it seems a bit curious that sometimes they fail early.

I will have to watch this one. Just recently installed the TricLED lights. So far, so good. Did have problems with the OEM lights. Replaced both of them, a year apart.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Led burn out

My other bike had a different type of LED headlight when I bought it used. One of the bulbs went out a month ago so I replaced both with TricLEDs. The original owner of the Spyder had put those LED headlights in about 2 years ago, so a better life than my failed TricLED light, but still way less than what we expect from LEDs.LEDS.P.

Yes we were at Nor California rally we were looking for you anyhow we had they same experience 2014rts one 2016 rts both left side went out one had 31$Amazon bulbs the other 100$Tricled bulbs we replaced both with regular Silverstar bulbs the 64000$ question is what no one seems able to answer is why

Spyder Garage

the charging voltage from the alternator on a Spyder can run as high as 15 volts. many led have power regulators that cannot handle that high of an input voltage or have no regulators at all.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I purchased the TricLED's head & fog lights for my 2014 RT about 18 months ago.
    I had one head light fail about a month in and another fail a couple months ago.
    In both instances I contacted the dealer in Canada, SpyderZone and the head lights were replaced no questions asked!
    With the latest replacement I received a new upgraded version that no longer has a ballast.
    TricLED backs their LED's with a "as long as you own your Spyder" lifetime warranty so you're able to buy with confidence!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have two 2014RT bikes, both now with TricLED headlight replacements. I recently had one go out on me that I had installed only 4 months ago. Fortunately, I was able to have Ann and Joe Meyers replace it under warranty when I got to the NoCal rally.

My other bike had a different type of LED headlight (i.e. not TricLED) when I bought it used. One of its bulbs went out a month ago so I replaced both with TricLEDs. The original owner of the Spyder had put those LED headlights in about 2 years ago, so it got a better life than my failed TricLED light, but still way less than what we expect from LEDs.

Has anyone else had this experience with LED headlight replacement bulbs failing early?
    Bump
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Bump
    Mine failed at Norcal too, but RudyB already talked about it above.

Ray

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On my 14 RT I had the right STOCK bulb fail at least 4 times until the connector actually melted and the entire light assembly was replaced by BRP. Since having the new assembly I have run TricLED lights with no problems. I've also heard of others who have had multiple stick bulb failures. Could it possibly be an issue with the light housing and not the bulbs?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Kind of reminds me of the home new Led's with 10 yr warranty--right up there with my socks 10 yr warranty. They know no one will return a burnt out bulb--time & travel. I have qty 12 new style bulbs in my garage--average life span = 6 months
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Guy View Post
    I purchased the TricLED's head & fog lights for my 2014 RT about 18 months ago. I had one head light fail about a month in and another fail a couple months ago. In both instances I contacted the dealer in Canada, SpyderZone and the head lights were replaced no questions asked! With the latest replacement I received a new upgraded version that no longer has a ballast. TricLED backs their LED's with a "as long as you own your Spyder" lifetime warranty so you're able to buy with confidence!
    Did you have both the left and the right side burn out? I'm just curious because there seems to be a pattern of mostly left-side bulb burnout with the LEDs and I'd like to see how prevalent that is.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    On my 14 RT I had the right STOCK bulb fail at least 4 times until the connector actually melted and the entire light assembly was replaced by BRP. Since having the new assembly I have run TricLED lights with no problems. I've also heard of others who have had multiple stick bulb failures. Could it possibly be an issue with the light housing and not the bulbs?
    That's what I'm beginning to think also. I believe everyone that has responded so far has had bulb failure on 2014RT models. And most of those have been on the left side.

Has anyone had a premature failure (OEM, LED or whatever) on EITHER a different model Spyder than the RT, OR a different YEAR of RT (not 2014)?

Has anyone experienced premature failure with LaMonster's LED headlights? The reason I ask is because LaMonster puts their electronics on the outside of the housing where they can more readily dissipate heat.

Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

OR a different YEAR of RT (not 2014)?

The reason I ask is because LaMonster puts their electronics on the outside of the housing where they can more readily dissipate heat.

Thanks.
    Although rudyB said mine was a 2016, it is actually a 2017 RT-S.

And yes, I am thinking it is a heat issue..... but at the moment have nothing to back it up.

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I believe everyone that has responded so far has experienced bulb failure on 2014RT models. And most of those have been on the left side. Has anyone had a premature failure (OEM, LED or whatever) on EITHER a different model Spyder than the RT, OR a different YEAR of RT (not 2014)?

Has anyone experienced premature failure with LaMonster's LED headlights? The reason I ask is because LaMonster puts their electronics on the outside of the housing where they can more readily dissipate heat.

Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Did you have both the left and the right side burn out? I'm just curious because there seems to be a pattern of mostly left-side bulb burnout with the LEDs and I'd like to see how prevalent that is.
    The first one was on the left, second on the right...
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Re 2017 not 2016

Quote Originally Posted by bcer960 View Post
    Although rudyB said mine was a 2016, it is actually a 2017 RT-S.

And yes, I am thinking it is a heat issue..... but at the moment have nothing to back it up.
    Sorry loosing it😬

Spyder Garage

All Spyder RT, 2010 thru 2017 use the same headlight housing. There is nothing specific to the 2014. As I stated earlier, 2014 to current do have a higher charging voltage than prior years or most cars.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    All Spyder RT, 2010 thru 2017 use the same headlight housing. There is nothing specific to the 2014. As I stated earlier, 2014 to current do have a higher charging voltage than prior years or most cars.
    Yes, duly noted, thanks. That's why I'm now asking if anyone uses the Lamonster branded LED headlights on 2014+ RTs and what their experience has been. If those are also failing early, then it would seem to eliminate the heat problem and point more toward the higher charging voltage issue you have brought up.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I have the TricLED bulbs and when I have had any issue with any of their products, they have been very helpful and willing to replace on their dime with no questions asked. With customer service like that why do people need to complaine?

Thank you TircLED for you fantastic products and customer service.

Kent
    Ride Safe All
    2014 RT Limited (Charlotte) in Cognac, Kuryakyn Grips,Tri-Axis Handle Bars, Rivco Armrests, a "finless" BT Dongle, TricLed Fender, Saddlebag, 3rd & 4th brake Lights, Custom Dynamics "Magic Strobes Brake Flasher", BajaRon Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters, Lighted Bumpskid, Rivco Highway Pegs, Rivco Cup Holders and Baker Built Air Wings. 215/60R-15 General Altimax Rt rear tire. 155/60R15 Kumho Solus front tires.

Spyder Garage

Yes, duly noted, thanks. That's why I'm now asking if anyone uses the Lamonster branded LED headlights on 2014+ RTs and what their experience has been. If those are also failing early, then it would seem to eliminate the heat problem and point more toward the higher charging voltage issue you have brought up.

Have installed a pretty good number of the Lamonster LED lamps and have NONE fail and return for replacment.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have installed a pretty good number of the Lamonster LED lamps and have NONE fail and return for replacment.
    That's good to know, thanks. Do you think they might have more robust voltage regulation than other brands?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

That's good to know, thanks. Do you think they might have more robust voltage regulation than other brands?
    I suspect but other than anecdotal evidence I have nothing to prove it. Having installed both Tric and Lamonster, I much prefer the Lamonster build quality and fit in the BRP housings. Xenon Depot has a good product too but have not used them in a couple years.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default LED - VOLYAGE ISSUE

I have some experience with using various uses for LED's, and of types of LED's used ...... The LED's are very sensitive to the voltage used for them ..... some are rated for 10v so if you try to put 11v thru them ....that's TEN % above their rated capacity ..12v would be 20 % ...... So my feeling is even a small increase is actually quite large and needs to be adjusted to compensate./... what the purpose of the Headlight Ballast is I'm not sure about ....... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I have some experience with using various uses for LED's, and of types of LED's used ...... The LED's are very sensitive to the voltage used for them ..... some are rated for 10v so if you try to put 11v thru them ....that's TEN % above their rated capacity ..12v would be 20 % ...... So my feeling is even a small increase is actually quite large and needs to be adjusted to compensate./... what the purpose of the Headlight Ballast is I'm not sure about ....... Mike
    Thanks Mike. Just because there are no reported issues with Lamonster doesn't mean there aren't any; TricLED I think has the biggest market share of after-market LEDs at this point so it would make sense that the majority of reported failures have been theirs. On the other hand, when you consider how many after-market LED headlights are installed at this point, the small number of reported failures may be insignificant statistically.

I know TricLED is taking this seriously and is investigating the issue themselves to see if there is something that needs to be changed with their product. They don't want ANY early failures of headlight units!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Re led failures

Thanks Mike. Just because there are no reported issues with Lamonster doesn't mean there aren't any; TricLED I think has the biggest market share of after-market LEDs at this point so it would make sense that the majority of reported failures have been theirs. On the other hand, when you consider how many after-market LED headlights are installed at this point, the small number of reported failures may be insignificant statistically.

I know TricLED is taking this seriously and is investigating the issue themselves to see if there is something that needs to be changed with their product. They don't want ANY early failures of headlight units!
    Here here well said still no difinitive answer

Spyder Garage

We have had failures on our bikes also, my wife is a 2010 RT and mine a 2012 RT. I put them on in April 2017 and the 2012 failed on our return from Canada in June and on the 2010 in August.
    In both instances it was the right side.I sent Cindy photos of the blown out headlights and we received replacements very quickly.