Spyder Garage

Default Elka Shocks stahe 2 for my 2016 F3 T

I received the Elka Stage 2 shocks about 3 weeks ago and finally got them installed and was able to get a 100 mile ride in. I am very happy with the build quality of the shock and they are light years from what came on the bike. The shocks were identical in set up when delivered, I only measured with a tape measure so it's possible they could have been slightly different but according to the tape, exact. The install went good and as most of you know the lower shock bolts are very easy to access and remove. My larger hands were challenged to get the upper bolts on both sides removed and re installed. After walking away several times , once for 2 days , I got back to it and got it complete. Looking back, I think taking the body panels off would have been much smarter for this particular model unless you have smaller hands or maybe a wife or girlfriend who does and can help.

I was able to take the bike on a 100 mile ride yesterday and was really amazed at the difference. Much more secure feeling in the front, less effort in the arms both on the straights and in corners. Front end dive non existent or very little. I wasn't expecting such a drastic change and I am thrilled. I have not changed the pre load or rebound from what was delivered and set up for my weight and riding style. I told them 260# and 70% touring, 30% sport. Once I know all is well I might play with these adjustments just for fun to see how I might change the ride.

I have a few questions: Is it necessary to get an alignment re done after new shocks are installed? I suppose it's always a good idea to re do in case there is a slight change but not sure. Any experts have any idea?

Is it necessary to complete the total suspension upgrade and get a Baja Ron sway bar then get an alignment after that is installed? I guess for about $400 more it might be an inexpensive worthwhile upgrade.

Look forward to hearing some thoughts, Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Samson; 09-17-2017 at 08:36 AM.

Spyder Garage

I too have been very impressed with the Elka shocks on my F3S. Have had them for about 2 yrs now and still very pleased with them after 20k miles. They are expensive but work as advertised and a very noticeable improvement.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I had Elkas rebuilt (long story) and they were not set correctly when I got them back. The preload was 3/8 inch different on one shock and the dampening settings were ?????? My point is to double check your preload and dampening settings. I used a divider to measure the preload and found it to be more accurate than a tape measure. The dampening should be somewhere in the middle and adjust + or - to suit yourself. For preload, others have said to count the threads and make sure they are the same for both sides. I tried to do that but kept loosing count and gave up. Great shock when adjusted correctly.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

No alignment needed. Its just shocks. Shouldnt affect your geometry whatsoever. We just did the shocks and Ron bar too. We went with Fox and had similar results. Did not need an alignment.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    I received the Elka Stage 2 shocks about 3 weeks ago and finally got them installed and was able to get a 100 mile ride in. I am very happy with the build quality of the shock and they are light years from what came on the bike. The shocks were identical in set up when delivered, I only measured with a tape measure so it's possible they could have been slightly different but according to the tape, exact. The install went good and as most of you know the lower shock bolts are very easy to access and remove. My larger hands were challenged to get the upper bolts on both sides removed and re installed. After walking away several times , once for 2 days , I got back to it and got it complete. Looking back, I think taking the body panels off would have been much smarter for this particular model unless you have smaller hands or maybe a wife or girlfriend who does and can help.

I was able to take the bike on a 100 mile ride yesterday and was really amazed at the difference. Much more secure feeling in the front, less effort in the arms both on the straights and in corners. Front end dive non existent or very little. I wasn't expecting such a drastic change and I am thrilled. I have not changed the pre load or rebound from what was delivered and set up for my weight and riding style. I told them 260# and 70% touring, 30% sport. Once I know all is well I might play with these adjustments just for fun to see how I might change the ride.

I have a few questions: Is it necessary to get an alignment re done after new shocks are installed? I suppose it's always a good idea to re do in case there is a slight change but not sure. Any experts have any idea?

Is it necessary to complete the total suspension upgrade and get a Baja Ron sway bar then get an alignment after that is installed? I guess for about $400 more it might be an inexpensive worthwhile upgrade.

Look forward to hearing some thoughts, Thanks in advance.

Was wondering if you tried the BajaRon Swaybar first. I have installed the BajaRon swaybar on my last 2 spyders and the Elkas for my RS but I have not felt the need to put either the Bajaron swaybar or the Elkas on my 2017 F3T. If anything I would put the BajaRon on since it is a much cheaper mod.

Spyder Garage

I am thinking of the sway bar soon. I felt I was forced into doing the shock replacement as the factory shock pre load jam nuts were so tight I couldn't break them loose. I felt I was going to replace sooner rather later anyway so I just changed now. I did another 200 miles this morning and the ride feels much better, much less dive etc.