Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Default Great write up

Thanks Bushrat for a great write up on your process to getting the 2017 F3L. We both got steered toward the F3L because of how well the driver fit and comfort was. Now with a Mustad adjustable shield and Baker Wings under the mirrors I have matched my previous RT for cockpit calmness. I ride Solo and put a premium on the SPORT side hence the 89 tooth sprocket. You ride two up and the value of the features drove your decision. If you had my bad driving habits your wife would be clubbing you from behind to knock it off. With the introduction of the F3L into the fold it should upset the balance of sales for the RT platform. For me, I lost nothing over my RT and now I have an extremely quicker bike, lower profile, less of a sail boat.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Wings

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in Lodi View Post
    Thanks Bushrat for a great write up on your process to getting the 2017 F3L. We both got steered toward the F3L because of how well the driver fit and comfort was. Now with a Mustad adjustable shield and Baker Wings under the mirrors I have matched my previous RT for cockpit calmness. I ride Solo and put a premium on the SPORT side hence the 89 tooth sprocket. You ride two up and the value of the features drove your decision. If you had my bad driving habits your wife would be clubbing you from behind to knock it off. With the introduction of the F3L into the fold it should upset the balance of sales for the RT platform. For me, I lost nothing over my RT and now I have an extremely quicker bike, lower profile, less of a sail boat.
    Dennis,

Can you post a picture of the Baker Wings. Do the keep the wind off of your hands????
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    We faced the same dilemma earlier this year, Mattman: F3T or F3Ltd? Actually, the choice first had to be made between the RTL and the F3; then which of the F3's. We test rode both. I couldn't get comfortable on the RT seat; my wife preferred the F3 ride and size. I should point out that we plan to ride two-up 95% of the time, and will likely do mostly mid-range day trips of a couple hundred miles or so, and maybe some occasional overnight/weekend adventures. So, a cruising, short touring ryde would do, as compared to a really longer range type. We chose the 2017 F3L instead of a discounted 2016 F3L because its features were closest to what we would have gotten with a loaded RT, albeit with very different ergonomics. The top case, floor boards, heated grips were all attractive features, but I also placed much importance on the electronically adjustable rear shock. I didn't want to be bothered with manual adjustment. Both the 2016 F3L and 2017 F3T were manual adjustment. We felt we were able to negotiate a fair and satisfactory price with the dealer for the 2017 F3L which made it a very attractive proposition compared to a 2017 F3T with add-ons. Arm rests and GPS were added to the deal. The 2017 F3L has plenty of power; it will go much faster and reach higher speeds more quickly than we will ever want to ride. We're out on the back roads enjoying the scenery, finding quaint little towns with fun restaurants and delicious ice cream stands with lots of interesting flavors, not trying to win races or trophies, or scream through the twisties. You suit yourself as to choice, but I believe you will find the 2017 F3L to be well worth the premium if you buy it. Since purchasing, we have swapped out the short stock windshield for an F4 23" (different heights are available), to cut down the buffeting; have adjusted the floor board position (nice feature on the F3); and will shortly swap out at least the stock driver seat for something more padded (RDL?, Ultimate?) - the wife is happy with her stock passenger seat; I am not. We'll probably add a few farkles here and there; not much, just likely some additional lighting for safety. The Spyder is fun; it's truly enjoyable. An expensive toy, Yes!. Would we do it again? In a heart beat! 2017 F3L? You bet!!!
    Yep you made the right choice! That motorcycle fits your ryding style better than the 2016 F3 L. So to the original poster, when choosing, consider what you want out of the machine. If you want to carve up the corners, go for the T. On the other hand if you are more into long distance casual touring and ryde two up and need the storage space then the L is for you. Myself, I am into both and I would choose the T for the much improved performance and I have a really nice seat bag that I put on the passenger seat so the top box is not a requirement. In over 20000 miles in just over a year, I have had a passenger for about 10 miles. My wife drives the RT.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

To my Spyderlover friends Dennis and Pirate, I do love reading your comments about potential 'performance' enhancements of the F3 version. And you both have discerned my thoughts and reasons for choosing and purchasing as we did. We thought through the 'purpose' for wanting a Spyder, as have you both. To us, 'pleasure' was more a dominant element in that decision than 'performance'. We are each right for what we want and expect. That, I believe, is the 'flexibility' that comes with the F3 model. Don't get me wrong; I'm tempted to push my F3L more than I usually do. It is a fun and thrilling machine to ryde. But for as much as the adrenaline excitement of rabbit starts and fast curves, I have also begun to appreciate seeing the birds and enjoying the leaves or quaint old buildings as we go down the road. Must be my advanced age. I have begun to appreciate how much beautiful countryside I literally 'flew' past for so many years; now, I'm trying to soak up and hang on to it a bit longer before the end of the road comes and I can't do it any longer. I get my thrills vicariously now, reading your chat about bigger sprockets, re-flashed ecu's, etc. Hey, I'm just delighted to be capable enough to climb aboard my bike and head out, anywhere. Thanks for accepting me as part of the club.
    Last edited by bushrat; 09-20-2017 at 01:08 PM.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Yep you hit it on the head. I am not as crazy ( I mean that with respect ) as Dennis. Out of the box I love what I can do. I also appreciate the comfort allowed by the F3 as we drove from California to Valcourt and back. The beauty as you so eloquently expressed, the platform allows something for everybody!

Spyder Garage

Default Baker wings & Mustad shield

I think the Baker wings are on their web page? Trying a picture in the morning. They hang on the bottom side of the mirrors and since mine are clear you don't really see them.
    What I noticed is when I have the wings open I cut some direct air. But what really works well is when they are closed. They stop air around my mid section which was traveling up my chest and moving my sunglasses around under my open visor. It's so calm I can have my jacket unzipped open and it doesn't move or flop even at interstate speeds. And my sun glasses stay put as well.
    The stock shield was allowing some side air to catch my open visor and pulling my head back. I went with the Mustad 18" medium Grey shield. After adjusting the angles the wind grabbing the visor is gone and air is on the crown of my helmet well above my open face shield. But the best thing is the shield is 3" wider that stock. This is just enough to give wind, bug and debris protection to my hands. With the stock shield I was getting pelted. Now almost nothing is hitting my hands. The total wind protection of the wing and shield combination became more obvious with the recent cooler weather riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Dennis,

Can you post a picture of the Baker Wings. Do the keep the wind off of your hands????

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    We faced the same dilemma earlier this year, Mattman: F3T or F3Ltd? Actually, the choice first had to be made between the RTL and the F3; then which of the F3's. We test rode both. I couldn't get comfortable on the RT seat; my wife preferred the F3 ride and size. I should point out that we plan to ride two-up 95% of the time, and will likely do mostly mid-range day trips of a couple hundred miles or so, and maybe some occasional overnight/weekend adventures. So, a cruising, short touring ryde would do, as compared to a really longer range type. We chose the 2017 F3L instead of a discounted 2016 F3L because its features were closest to what we would have gotten with a loaded RT, albeit with very different ergonomics. The top case, floor boards, heated grips were all attractive features, but I also placed much importance on the electronically adjustable rear shock. I didn't want to be bothered with manual adjustment. Both the 2016 F3L and 2017 F3T were manual adjustment. We felt we were able to negotiate a fair and satisfactory price with the dealer for the 2017 F3L which made it a very attractive proposition compared to a 2017 F3T with add-ons. Arm rests and GPS were added to the deal. The 2017 F3L has plenty of power; it will go much faster and reach higher speeds more quickly than we will ever want to ride. We're out on the back roads enjoying the scenery, finding quaint little towns with fun restaurants and delicious ice cream stands with lots of interesting flavors, not trying to win races or trophies, or scream through the twisties. You suit yourself as to choice, but I believe you will find the 2017 F3L to be well worth the premium if you buy it. Since purchasing, we have swapped out the short stock windshield for an F4 23" (different heights are available), to cut down the buffeting; have adjusted the floor board position (nice feature on the F3); and will shortly swap out at least the stock driver seat for something more padded (RDL?, Ultimate?) - the wife is happy with her stock passenger seat; I am not. We'll probably add a few farkles here and there; not much, just likely some additional lighting for safety. The Spyder is fun; it's truly enjoyable. An expensive toy, Yes!. Would we do it again? In a heart beat! 2017 F3L? You bet!!!
    Great info thank you!!!