Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    BUT I'm not sure I agree with using the "cruise control" for anything other than cruising.....long (mostly) straight road at constant speed.
    Putzing around with it in short term situations like a steep hill just seems to me like a distraction that you don't really need.

To each his own, I guess.
    In a sense it is, "To each his own", but nevertheless it is a discussion that just might be worthwhile having. I guess we see the use of cruise control in different lights. As I said I use it as much as I can, even on city streets. The number one reason is that, as I see it, driving at a steady speed enhances the safety of everyone on the road. Whether it's in the car or on the Spyder I have trouble keeping a steady speed, especially if the road is up and down. What would be better is if everyone drove at the same steady speed but that of course that will never happen. If I'm staying at a steady speed at or just above the posted speed limit (usually about 4 - 5 above) I don't need to worry about getting a speeding ticket. On a hill the CC keeps me from slowing down and causing a driver behind me to get irritated, and then compensating by speeding up and further aggravating the guy behind me. For me, when I use CC I minimize the distraction of speed control and can devote more attention to all other aspects and distractions of driving. I see it as a safety feature, not a convenience feature. Most of the time the Spyder CC does a damn good job of keeping the bike at a steady speed, even downhill, sometimes by using a lower gear.

As others have said, out on the open straight road I tend to be a 'creeper' in both directions, up and down. CC mitigates that problem. But there is the offsetting danger of using CC and that is complacency, especially on the open road. CC makes it a lot easier to sight see while driving, and that can lead to bad results if one does it too much and doesn't pay attention to the road ahead.

Cruise control is a tool to aid in driving safely. Use it however it works best for you.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    65 mph, and 6th gear comes to mind...
    But that's just me; you've got to ride your own ride!

that's exactly the speed the OP mentioned and the speed with which easyrider has a problem
    65 sure works for me and is a good idea, not sure what he thinks is wrong with that

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Default Cruise in 5th here too...

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I use cruise as much as I can to maintain a desired speed, anywhere from the minimum that will set, about 28 mph, up to 85 on a 80 mph limit Interstate, in any gear from 2nd to 6th. In this case the hill was steep enough that the RT won't maintain 65 in 6th, hence my use of 5th. You can run a Spyder in 5th up to 80 for an extended time period, no problem!
    6th is fine for a long flat road to use cruise, but I like to keep the RPM in the 3500 - 4500 when using cruise. In hilly areas at 55-65MPH in 6th the engine gets a bit bogged for my taste. What's a few MPG

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevencovert View Post
    6th is fine for a long flat road to use cruise, but I like to keep the RPM in the 3500 - 4500 when using cruise. In hilly areas at 55-65MPH in 6th the engine gets a bit bogged for my taste. What's a few MPG
    You're probably saving more gas than you think in hilly country! Determining and controlling MPG is as successful as nailing Jello to the wall! I think it depends more on how hard the engine is working than what RPM it's turning at. Faster RPM at less strain I'm sure gives better mileage than lower RPM with more strain.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    that's exactly the speed the OP mentioned and the speed with which easyrider has a problem
    65 sure works for me and is a good idea, not sure what he thinks is wrong with that
    Please read ALL of the words in the posts that you are going to comment upon.

He was at 65 MPH in FIFTH GEAR......with cruise engaged.

I didn't necessarily have "a problem with that", but it is unusual and I wondered why.

Do you have a problem with THAT ??

Spyder Garage

Cruise control usage: Answers will be all over the place.

Me? I don't use it in town, or in heavy traffic. One mistake and you get bit.

I always use it on the highway--mostly to maintain speed at a couple miles per hour over posted. That puts me in the "flow" most of the time. Also use it when on slower deserted roads where I want to maintain a certain speed. I am also a "creeper" and cruise cleans that up for me.

I always drive with the "best" gear. For me that keeps my engine in the "happy" spot. 5500 on our 998 and 3500 on our 1330. Cruise will work in any gear as long as your speed is above 28 or so mph.

You? Do what works for you.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Cruise control usage: Answers will be all over the place.

I always drive with the "best" gear. For me that keeps my engine in the "happy" spot. 5500 on our 998 and 3500 on our 1330.
    Opinions are like.....well you know !!

Thinking that some given RPM is "best" when cruising down the highway is a bit short sighted in my opinion.
    Especially your 5500 figure for the twin.
    Except for somehow making you feel good, I see nothing that qualifies that for "best" status.

NOW.....if you are in traffic that is speeding up and slowing down or you otherwise want to be able to accelerate quickly, then I've got no problem with keeping the RPMs up to where your available HP is more. But with the cruise control set.......NO reason (unless maybe the terrain is really hilly).

Spyder Garage

Opinions are like.....well you know !!

Thinking that some given RPM is "best" when cruising down the highway is a bit short sighted in my opinion.
    Especially your 5500 figure for the twin.
    Except for somehow making you feel good, I see nothing that qualifies that for "best" status.

NOW.....if you are in traffic that is speeding up and slowing down or you otherwise want to be able to accelerate quickly, then I've got no problem with keeping the RPMs up to where your available HP is more. But with the cruise control set.......NO reason (unless maybe the terrain is really hilly).
    The sweet spot will vary from to . One needs to find theirs. Feel and sound are my two. At the 5500 rpms that is where the 998 comes "alive." This allows you to get up and go if needed. The 1330 is a bit different. For me, 3500 happens when is cruising down the highway at 65 in 6th. It increases from there with speed. The 1330 has great low end torque, you can just twist and go from pretty much 2500 and up if needed.

As I mentioned earlier--opinions will vary. Just letting others know what works for ME.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This allows you to get up and go if needed.
    Which I acknowledged in my last post.

But I also said that needing to "get up and go" is highly unlikely when actually cruising down the highway.

There is absolutely, positively NO ADVANTAGE to running an engine faster than is necessary to maintain a cruising speed.
    AND......if you are doing that by running in a lower gear, then you are putting unnecessary wear and strain on the engine.

But if it makes you happy......

Spyder Garage

Please read ALL of the words in the posts that you are going to comment upon.

He was at 65 MPH in FIFTH GEAR......with cruise engaged.

I didn't necessarily have "a problem with that", but it is unusual and I wondered why.

Do you have a problem with THAT ??

No problem with THAT

a problem with your attitude though

I see from many of your posts you like to argue and are confrontational.
    I did not join this forum to deal with that crap so I will just ignore what you have to say from now on.
    Could be the OP meant 6th but typed 5th.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

a problem with your attitude though
    Pot.....kettle......black.

BYE.

Spyder Garage

Could be the OP meant 6th but typed 5th.
    Nope! I was in 5th! Hill is too steep to hold speed in 6th.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Well, thanks for telling me how to drive my . I guess I have been doing it wrong since 2008 and those 135,000 miles have meant nothing. Never mind that I have never had a major mechanical problem over 5 assorted. Never mind that the Buds report indicated that our current operations (2015 and two 's) had been driven in the proper gear ranges most of the time.

One point possibly missed--over 60 mph gets 5th gear on the 998 and 6th gear on the 1330. If we are driving less than highway speed--then the appropriate gear for the speed is used.

Another point possibly missed is that the Rotax (998) LIKES high rpm's.

We have had the attitude discussion behind the scenes--and I will leave it at that.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-20-2017 at 02:59 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

One point possibly missed--over 60 mph gets 5th gear on the 998 and 6th gear on the 1330. If we are driving less than highway speed--then the appropriate gear for the speed is used.

Another point possibly missed is that the Rotax (998) LIKES high rpm's.

We have had the attitude discussion behind the scenes--and I will leave it at that.
    There is no "attitude" here.
    I'm trying to have a useful, adult discussion without looking to pick apart the motivations or style of the other person in the "discussion".
    Maybe that isn't possible.

And yes, that point was missed because it wasn't included before.

Just because a given engine NEEDS to run at 5500 RPM at 70 MPH in top gear does NOT mean that it is somehow good for it to run up to 5500 in every gear before shifting. And a really lot of engines develop more impressive HP at higher RPMs.......but that doesn't mean that the engine "likes" to run faster than it needs to. No doubt the RIDER likes that, but the engine.......not so much.

There really is nothing wrong with running YOUR engine at whatever speed you like, within the design range.
    But to claim that running it at a higher RPM than is needed at a given speed is somehow "good" for it......or that it "likes" to run faster......just doesn't stand up to rational analysis.

I think we've about beat this to death. Truce ??

Spyder Garage

The "sweet spot" on my 998 is 5500 for shifting and 3500 on the 1330. No clunks--smooth as butter to the next gear. The Red line for the 998 is 9000 rpms. I have never been over 7000 that I know of on the 998. Truce? Absolutely.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-20-2017 at 07:48 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

IdahoMtnSpyder, I do that hill all the time, it is too steep for 6th gear. I set my CC at 55 and speed up with throttle when I can, I'm not experienced enough to go 65 yet (curvy road). The picture on my signature is on Highway 55 just south of Banks, I go to my brother in laws cabin in Crouch all the time. I used to be intimidated by that hill but now I look forward to it. Hope to see you some time.

2016 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Default rpms

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    So he likes to wast fuel... that's his choice!
    Personally: I'm in sixth gear at 39 mph on a flat stretch of road.
    I use rpms and grade to determine what gear to run in, not speed. I'm OK with anything above 2500 on the flat, but on any grade I want to be above 3000, usually 3500. For me sixth is a long distance cruising gear for flat freeways.