Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

After 40+ years on 2-wheelers, I got my first quad and loved how stable it was charging around our gravel roads, so I decided to look into trikes just for the heck of it, for my legal road riding. I googled 3-wheeled motorcycles expecting only to see the typical pair in the rear. Had never heard of Spyders, nor anything else with the pair up front, so was intrigued when they popped up. Researched the differences between the delta and tadpole configurations, and learned how much safer the tadpole is. Sat on an RT at a local dealers, immediately ordered my RT-S, and have never looked back. Love, love, love my trusty tripod.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Spyder Garage

Default Why I ride

I started riding motorcycles when I was 11. My oldest brother, Ken had a red Honda 50 Sport. So I saved my paper route money and bought a 1964 Honda 50. Through the years I owned many bikes, 24 to be exact. Mother had Muscular Dystrophy and before she died she gave it to me. In 2009 I dropped my beloved BMW R1150 RT and couldn't pick it up. I thought my riding days were over. At Mathias BMW in New Philadelphia Ohio a 2007 K1200LT with a Hannigan trike conversion was being sold on consignment. It was a dream come true for the original owner. He paid over $40,000 for it. But he died soon after he bought it. It had 900 miles on it. So it sat at the dealer for 2 years, collecting dust. It had a price tag of $30,500. The dealer told me to call the lady who owned it. I did and told her I was handicapped and on a fixed income. I offered $10,000 for it. After she thought about it I bought it for $12,000. I thought it was the best thing there was. After 3 years and 80,000 miles it started eating front tires. I'd go through 2 tires a month. So in late winter 2014 I get a flyer in the mail, BRP now had a 3 cylinder 1330 ACE Spyder RT. I took a test ride and went home to get my BMW title. I've always been addicted to riding motorcycles but this Spyder has made me insane, so I've been told. This week my RT-S will turn over 139,000 miles. My goal for the year is to get to 150,000. As long as winter here in Ohio holds off for a while, I'll probably get it. While my health gets worse I think I have one more year to ride. This time next year I hope to reach the magical 200,000 mile mark.
    I must be crazy.
    Buckeye Chuck 54

Spyder Garage

Default back in the day...........

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Funny how every post has been ex or current two wheelers looking for a change. Anyone care to post up who are first time or non-riding Spyder owners?
    30 years ago I rode 2 wheels for a short time......literally months. Then the family came and spent all this time raising them. I have a lifelong friend ( Ryan12) who bought a 2012 RT-S SM-5. He let me take it for a short ride and I was hooked.
    I never really thought I could afford one and was looking @ a brand new Triumph America. My wife said she wouldn't feel safe on it and probably wouldn't ride with me.
    I found my 2011 RT Limited had it shipped from Tuscon and have never looked back. ZERO regerts!!! Purchased in March and have put 3K miles on my spyder and the season is just getting ripe!

xxJzh4XvuyXzksJ3PFHAJkP7_75OiLzG65J74L4dzkIpX92IB.jpg

my Mods
    BajaRon sway bar
    BajaRon plugs and wires
    Custom Dynamics Truflex high mount brake light
    Custom Dynamics Truflex Additional amber rear turn signals
    Generic LED front fender lights.
    Show Chrome wear bar accent
    2011 RT limited , BajaRon plugs and custom wires Pearl white

Spyder Garage

My wife and I were looking to get back into 2 up riding after not riding much over the last 10 years. We have a 2005 BMW R1200RT. It likes to go fast. SHE doesn't. So, we started looking for a better 2 up option. Looked at trikes on Craigs List. OMG! Couldn't believe how much those puppies cost, even used. Came across some pictures of the Spyder and thought, Hmmm, that might be an option. Showed the pics to HER, and SHE liked the idea. So, did some research on used Spyders, contacted a few folk who had one for sale in the general area where we live. My thought was to buy a used one. SHE thought we should go to a dealer and at least look at one before making the leap. There is a dealer about 40 minutes away. So, we walked into the dealer and there was a new 2016 blue RT Limited SE6. SHE climbed on the back and immediately said "We're buying this one". Oh, well, the best laid plans...... Might have to sell a couple guitars. We've had it for three weeks now, about 1,500 miles. Never above 50. Tooling around the back roads here in Southern Indiana, finding little Mom and Pop eateries, and loving the fact we're together enjoying the scenery and being together. Yesterday we did cross the Wabash River into Illinois, so we can color two states on how "where we've been map". Doubt there will many others. I admire the Spyder owners who rack up impressive miles going to all kinds of places. We are at the opposite end of that spectrum. But, couldn't be happier with the choice we made. And, most importantly, SHE loves it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Funny how every post has been ex or current two wheelers looking for a change. Anyone care to post up who are first time or non-riding Spyder owners?
    Well, see Post #19 above.

I should have clarified that, although I had ridden a two wheeler when I was in my late teens/early twenties, it was on a very limited basis. It was my brother's Honda 350cc and I only rode it once in awhile for a period of about 6 months. So, I had VERY little experience on it.

Spyder Garage

Got my motorcycle license 3 years ago, about a month after hubby. He bought me a Honda Rebel, a nice beginner bike, and then did everything he could to keep me from riding! He finally said he was afraid I was going to get killed, and it would be his fault because I wouldn't have gotten my license if he didn't get his. Sometimes you have to pick your battles. I said fine, I'll get a trike. After two years of researching and trying to get a test drive (major hassle there), I found a dealer whose first words, after "hello", were "have you ridden one yet?" and "well then, let's go". Loved it; bought my 2016 RTL at the end of July. I'm having a blast with it.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Reggy got an email of Can Am spyder unveiling and test-drive at Miami, he went and test drove it, and ordered it.
    Then he received the Premiere Edition.. I thought it was very cool! then we went on the first long ride to Bike Week @Daytona.
    Back then we were probably the only one on a Spyder, so many on-lookers and people on main street pointer fingers and took pictures like we were celebrity.. LOL

The picture of my avatar here taken on our 1st trip..

Spyder Garage

The color.
    I had no idea what model it was.
    Saw it and went to the finance manager. Didn't even sit on it!
    Signed papers.
    Learned all about my ST L along the way.
    Over 10,000 kms in 2 seasons of riding.
    Love my bike!
    2016-08-06 18.48.29.jpg
    Pam

2020 F3 T

I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells.
    Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.
    Dr. Seuss

2020 F3 T - Liquid Titanium

Previously owned
    - 2015 ST L
    - 1997 Suzuki Marauder VZ 800
    2015 ST L , Denim - matte

Spyder Garage

Default Vertigo

My wife has vertigo. After years of dealing with it on 2 wheels, we got the 2014 RT-S and never looked back. She enjoys our trips completely and we just finished the NorCal Spyder Rally in Sonora, Ca. Lots of turns and hills with no vertigo symptoms.

I still have the Yamaha V-Max when I feel the need for speed

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

After spending many years and miles a 2 wheels my friend that I rode with for over 200,000 miles was killed in a head on collision while riding his goldwing. I was supposed to be with him but family stuff prevented that. That was in 2013.
    I won't go into the details of his accident but I never felt the same on 2 wheels after that.
    My wife said that I was riding to cautious to the point of being dangerous and she stopped riding with me and I found that I was riding less and less.
    So in July of this year we bought our Spyder RT.
    I'm enjoying myself again and my wife actually asks to go riding.
    Needless to say, we love our Spyder a lot and have put over 4,000 miles on it in the 2 months that we've had it.
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

Default the wife wanted to start riding with

had three 2 wheelers was looking to buy that last bike was supposed to be an ultra glide so i could say i had one wife decided to start joining me so she had to make up her mind if she was going to ride it would have to be three wheeles i didnt think i could hold use both up on the heavy harley living in cda went to daytona 2016 test drove an rt-s came home went to the dealer found brand new 2015 and bought it love that it has all the safety equipment and most everything else we need put my sat radio on gps holder for my phone and done as for farkles did most of that on my vstar pull a camper with it so far we love it am retiring next year so many miles are in the future

Spyder Garage

Well, I almost qualify to comment here. Had my first motorbike (Corgi - WWII fold-up paratrooper type) at age 13 (63+ years ago). That lasted two years. Second two-wheeler came along 15 years later, in 1971, again for another couple of years, followed by a 125cc trail bike for two more years (1977-79). That was it. So, since I really hadn't been riding for 38 years, I figure I'm almost qualified as a 'non-biker'. Except for the fact that you never really get some things out of your blood.

Last winter, in FL, while looking on Craigslist for something completely unrelated to Spyders, I kept coming across an ad for a fairly new F3 Daytona. Got me thinking. And, of course, that brought to mind some of the BRP tv ads. My mind just wouldn't stop playing with the thought of how much fun a Spyder might be, especially for winter-time jaunts while down south. Came back to Canada 'Spyder-less', but never far from mind. More thinking: why not buy one up here, for the summer, and pick up a trailer, tow it south and have it year-round? Great idea. The issue was resolved when I spotted an available used trailer, specially made for hauling a Spyder. Bought it quick. Then, my only problem was to find a Spyder. Needed something to fill the empty trailer. Solved that too.

I very much agree with the comment by Newbert: "Life is short, so grab some fun while you can." All I can add to that is: my wife won't let me own a golf cart, and frowns on the thought of me getting on an ATV instead of walking, for exercise. But she loves taking a trip on the F3L.

And, damn, this thing sure beats hell out of any other motorized wheelchair on the market!!!
    Last edited by bushrat; 09-17-2017 at 10:58 AM.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bolson View Post
    Got my motorcycle license 3 years ago, about a month after hubby. He bought me a Honda Rebel, a nice beginner bike, and then did everything he could to keep me from riding! He finally said he was afraid I was going to get killed, and it would be his fault because I wouldn't have gotten my license if he didn't get his. Sometimes you have to pick your battles. I said fine, I'll get a trike. After two years of researching and trying to get a test drive (major hassle there), I found a dealer whose first words, after "hello", were "have you ridden one yet?" and "well then, let's go". Loved it; bought my 2016 RTL at the end of July. I'm having a blast with it.

Hi. I'm in NJ too and all I hear is bad things about dealers. Which dealer was it that you liked?

Spyder Garage

Well, I was a passenger on the 2-wheeled motorcycles for 16 years, someone else suggested that I buy a spyder, so off I went to my local can-am dealership, filled out paper work, for a 2012RTS-SE5 (Quatumum Metallic Blue) did not take a test drive, on a spyder, had someone else drive the 2012RTS-SE5 spyder home, ( I did not have my motorcycle endorsement permit/license at the time) then I went thru the process to get my motorcycle permit/license endorsement. Took spyder to get my motorcycle endorsement, had the 2012RTS-SE5 for 1 full riding season. I did not want to deal with the clutch/brake/ shifting all at once. In 2014 in Springfield ,Mo ( @ Spyderfest) took a demo ride on a 2014RTS-SE6, then In July bought my current spyder.

The spyder is stable, visible, fun/fun to drive, and has a lot of safety features, comfortable to drive, and I also get a lot of people asking me questions were ever I go, and I have met a lot of new people/and other spyder owners/I have been to spyder events/ and I found my soul mate, because of being a spyder owner. My current spyder is a 2014 RTS-SE6 Cognac and I am not looking back. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    ...(snip)...
    The spyder is stable, visible, fun/fun to drive, and has a lot of safety features, comfortable to drive, and I also get a lot of people asking me questions were ever I go, and I have met a lot of new people/and other spyder owners/I have been to spyder events/ and I found my soul mate, because of being a spyder owner. My current spyder is a 2014 RTS-SE6 Cognac and I am not looking back. Deanna
    Well said Deanna.

Spyder Garage

I've posted this before, but after 12 years and 50K miles (mostly long road trips) on my HD, I had a fall on gravel (slow speed, my fault) and got spooked. Since we've got a 1 mile gravel driveway, I just didn't do much riding the last 2 years. I had seen Spyders on the road for years, and sort of liked them. Then I rode one at a dealer demo last spring, but the price tag had me saying, no way.

Then, on a (car) road trip to Canada in July, driving along the northern shore of the St. Lawrence, every third bike was a Can-Am. And they looked like they were having a blast. I went to the local dealer when I got back, planning to buy a 2016 leftover, and walked out with my beautiful F3-S. No regrets at all. I felt a pang when my Harley sold, but I really didn't think I'd ride it again. My husband is happy too, because we're riding together again, just jump-on-and-ride times. (I actually want him to try one too, but he's resisting.)
    Last edited by foxtail1; 09-17-2017 at 09:41 PM.
    2017 F3-S
    2010 Honda Element

Harley map

Spyder map

Spyder Garage

Bad knees right hip old and decrepit lol

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I got my Spyder not long after I started getting treatments for cancer. I found that I was not as steady at stop signs and lights on two wheels. My wife told me that I was done riding and needed to get a convertible car. My idea of a convertible and her idea were not the same. On a whim we stopped at a CanAm dealer and looked at the Spyders. After going to lunch we went back and bought a '14 RTL. Three months later I was retired and rode the Spyder almost 19k in two years. I really liked the Spyder except for the tires. In January of this year I traded for a '17 TriGlide and have almost 12k miles on it. The main thing is to enjoy your life and not stop riding. As for me, a Mazda Miata was not going to make it. Life is short and for most of us riding time is shorter. Get out and ride at every opportunity.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Much the same as kngfsh27, rode two wheelers in my younger days, then stopped for a few years. Had a battle with the big "C" and after treatments were finished we (wife and I)kept getting drawn to the Spyder , every time we saw one.Rented one for the day, and we were both hooked. As kngfsh27 said doesn't matter what you ride as long as you enjoy it.
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

2013, Back in hospital again for left leg surgery. Sold my trike figuring out that hospital bill would bankrupt me.
    2014 recovered and the ins co. covered more than I thought. So stated looking for a new set of wheels. tried to go back to 2 wheels but legs would not support holding the bike up so looked for an Trike or something. Look at getting an RS. Dealer could not find one that I wanted so after 8 hours waiting offered me a 2014 RT for the price I offered for the RS. They put it in writing and I signed also and went home with an brand new RT for what the salesman told be was 6K under dealer invoice. Didn't care BUT never looked back. 22K miles on it and now have a trailer to help.

Spyder Garage

I had been looking for an old Harley to restore. One weekend in the middle of March 2008 we went to a boat show. While looking at boats, we came around a corner and back behind the boats I saw this 3 wheeled thing. Got to talking with the sales guy and I got hooked. Went home and found a couple different forums online. I found a dealer that was going to have a demo event. So I grabbed 3 of my 2 wheel friends to go with me and check this thing out. The demo ride was late in March. April 2nd I was at the dealer putting in my order and my deposit. Took until Oct 13th to pick it up. Loved that GS. When the F3 came out, it was everything I was asking for. Another forward gear, relaxed seating and more horsepower. Got it all in the F3. I still love the Spyder. Getting ready for Red Rock in south Utah.
    Last edited by hawkiii; 09-17-2017 at 08:08 PM.

Very Happy Spyder Guy
    The 2015 F3 has over 46,000 miles
    Have Spyder...Will Travel

Spyder Garage

Default para

Well to be honest, I don't have a Spyder YET! I am a T-12 incomplete paraplegic and the Spyder would be the best choice to make I believe to get on the road. So I am doing my research currently. Of course, I will have to do a hand brake conversion and then figure out a way to get the wheelchair on the bike securely and with relative ease.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lebon View Post
    Well to be honest, I don't have a Spyder YET! I am a T-12 incomplete paraplegic and the Spyder would be the best choice to make I believe to get on the road. So I am doing my research currently. Of course, I will have to do a hand brake conversion and then figure out a way to get the wheelchair on the bike securely and with relative ease.
    If you haven't found it already, check out the enabled riders forum for lots of tips. Welcome.

Spyder Garage

My husband got me one to have more fun while riding; I was getting bored sitting in the back of his Goldwing on long rides.
    I wouldn’t be able to handle a two wheeler and Spyder just made it possible for me to drive a bike as well

At first I was looking for a used one for months - 2014 and up; but the prices were too high IMO. 5 year warranty and few more thousands extra is a good excuse to have a brand new one.
    2017 RT Limited Asphalt Grey with Lamonster RT Spyder Cuff; Lamonster FBB Highway Bracket; Kuryakyn 7597 ISO Trident Pegs; RoadSport Big Mudder Extreme, Magic mirrors, Airhawk R, plastidipped Frunk, Ram Mount Universal X-Grip IV Large, FZ-1 fuze block, Dual USB charger, BajaRon Sway Bar, Black Powder Coated RT Dash Mount Bracket

Spyder Garage

After 5 days in the hospital trauma center earlier this year from the 2-wheeler incident, the wife said if I wanted to keep up this foolish riding thing, the next one better have more than 2 wheels or else, so..........
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac