Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Default Which baffle is better

I am wandering which baffle in the cat delete is better the the Big city thunder or the one that comes with the unit? I am only going to use one and using stock muffler on a 205 sm6.

Spyder Garage

Default Cat Delete Replacement Pipe

I can second Spyder Man exhaust as excellent. He has several different exhaust systems at
    a reasonable price. When I talked to him he was in the process of moving to North Carolina,
    so Google him for updates. He is good to deal with.

Dray

Spyder Garage

Default Cat Delete

Quote Originally Posted by vforce View Post
    I am wandering which baffle in the cat delete is better the the Big city thunder or the one that comes with the unit? I am only going to use one and using stock muffler on a 205 sm6.
    I'm running the cat delete pipe from Lamonster, I'm using both the Big City Thunder and Lamonsters can opener baffle. The sound is nice and mellow not harsh at all, sounds even better down shifting. Running both baffles also gives the needed back pressure the bike needs since you've removed the cat, to me it feels like I've got some better bottom end torque. Jus my 2¢
    Forgot I am running the stock muffler!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by F3Spyderman View Post
    I was under the impression that the cat was in the exhaust to cut down on (possibly) dangerous emissions. And, as in the case of most cars, is the output of the cat not monitored (Lambder sensor) so that the engine management chip can adjust the air/fuel mixture to ensure efficient burning?
    I notice no one has answered or commented on the above quote of my original posting.

Thought some techie might have taken up the Lambder (oxygen detector) discussion. Or do Spyders not have a Lambder sensor in the exhaust system.

The reason I'm trying to get info on this subject is that I would love to modify my exhaust by possibly removing the cat but since exhaust pollution regulations are quite strict here in the UK I did not want the risk of my F3 S failing the annual MOT test.

Any help or info on this subject would be much appreciated.
    Please don't lead me into temptation, I already know the way. I can resist everything except temptation.

Spyder Garage

I don't think removing the CAT will affect your MOT. The spyders CO2 output is not measured like a cars would be and the CATs job is to reduce CO2. I also have not seen any threads on here about the CEL coming on after CAT removal so I don't think the bike can be monitoring a lambda sensor in that area.

I know that CO2 is not measured because when I imported mine from Germany the European Certificate of Conformity was blank for CO2 figures. So when I registered with the DVLA I left that box blank on the form. Hence, there will be no CO2 figure on record for the MOT centre to check against.

I doubt it will significantly affect the other emissions readings, but mine's due for MOT in March so I'll ask the centre what they measure then. The place I'm intending to go have seen a few spyders so they may have some input on the CAT delete question.

As for the question of removing the CAT it seems that noise is the only point doing it from threads on here. It appears you need to add 1 or even 2 baffles back in to the CAT delete to get low end torque back to where it was with the CAT in place. All seems like a lot of effort for a bit more noise to me but if that's what floats your boat?

If you want more performance the monster fuel remap looks to be the way to go and leave the exhaust standard - that's what I'm looking to do at some point.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboymorton View Post
    I don't think removing the CAT will affect your MOT. The spyders CO2 output is not measured like a cars would be and the CATs job is to reduce CO2. I also have not seen any threads on here about the CEL coming on after CAT removal so I don't think the bike can be monitoring a lambda sensor in that area.

I know that CO2 is not measured because when I imported mine from Germany the European Certificate of Conformity was blank for CO2 figures. So when I registered with the DVLA I left that box blank on the form. Hence, there will be no CO2 figure on record for the MOT centre to check against.

I doubt it will significantly affect the other emissions readings, but mine's due for MOT in March so I'll ask the centre what they measure then. The place I'm intending to go have seen a few spyders so they may have some input on the CAT delete question.

As for the question of removing the CAT it seems that noise is the only point doing it from threads on here. It appears you need to add 1 or even 2 baffles back in to the CAT delete to get low end torque back to where it was with the CAT in place. All seems like a lot of effort for a bit more noise to me but if that's what floats your boat?

If you want more performance the monster fuel remap looks to be the way to go and leave the exhaust standard - that's what I'm looking to do at some point.
    CO2 is not the primary function of a catalytic converter. HC (Hydro carbons), CO (carbon monoxide) and NOx (oxides of nitrogen) ARE.

CO2 levels are an afterthought and get reduced as part of the above catalytic reactions....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default baffles

I put on Lamonster's bypass pipe today without a baffle to try first, to see how I like it. I'm curious how you installed both baffles.

Quote Originally Posted by cmarsala View Post
    I'm running the cat delete pipe from Lamonster, I'm using both the Big City Thunder and Lamonsters can opener baffle. The sound is nice and mellow not harsh at all, sounds even better down shifting. Running both baffles also gives the needed back pressure the bike needs since you've removed the cat, to me it feels like I've got some better bottom end torque. Jus my 2¢
    Forgot I am running the stock muffler!
    Monique,
    2016 F3t pearl white
    Ultimate driver back rest
    12v power outlet for batt. tender
    Doc Humphries' vibration damper
    factory floorboards
    added topcase

Spyder Garage

Default Cat Delete

Quote Originally Posted by rays hell View Post
    I put on Lamonster's bypass pipe today without a baffle to try first, to see how I like it. I'm curious how you installed both baffles.
    The can opener baffle is a press fit, however I installed a bolt and the BCT baffle has to be bolted in, I'm still running the stock muffler. I spent enough on the bypass and baffles. I'm happy with the sound and performance of the bike, it's not a street racer, I'm out grown and to old for that stuff, but I do like the sound of a good bike.
    1330_pipe__31106.1513894640.1280.1280.jpg

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up LaMonster Cat-bypass results

Let me share my experience with this cat-bypass.
    First need to say that the service from Lamonster is perfect. Had it delivered somewher in the US since I was there in November. Unfortunately US-post did not deliver @ the factory but @ a postoffice. Since I was arriving a few days later, they decided to send the package back to Lamonster.......not telling anyone.
    When I arrived and found that ot, gave them a call and almost immediately he understood why I was calling: Are you where I think you are? Ans I said, yep, i am at the place where the parcel should have been.
    We agreed he would send it again , this time using UPS, so it would arrive @ the factory (no costs, simply service!!). It did arrive but ofcourse I was back in Holland.Long story cut short, got it and start installing it in 2 steps.
    For those who want a sound impression, I have made 3 recordings:
    1. Standard stuff, listen here
    Installing the Cat-Bypass was easy, the springs are the hard part but got that done too. Decided to start without the DB-killer.
    2. Installed cat bypass but skipped the DB-killer
    Now I do not mid some noise but have to admit that leaving out the DB killer was not such a good idea. So removed it and placed the DB-killer.
    3. Installed cat bypass and also the DB-killer
    This was a much better option. For me better sound and better performance.
    Not a real big difference but i am satified with the results, what more could I ask for?
    Hope i helps people to make their decision.
    2020 F3S , Matte black

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=monkeyboymorton;1324369]I don't think removing the CAT will affect your MOT. The spyders CO2 output is not measured like a cars would be and the CATs job is to reduce CO2. I also have not seen any threads on here about the CEL coming on after CAT removal so I don't think the bike can be monitoring a lambda sensor in that area.

QUOTE]

Thanks for that 'monkeyboymorton' that's what I wanted to here. Was not sure whether the exhaust gases were check during the MOT. My MOT is due in June so did not want it to fail on emissions. To be perfectly honest with you I'm only considering doing the cat delete to improve the sound. I love the sound of a raucous bike exhaust and think the Spyders sound a bit too refined for what they are, especially the F3-S.

Any further advice from other sound enthusiasts would be welcome.
    Please don't lead me into temptation, I already know the way. I can resist everything except temptation.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    CO2 is not the primary function of a catalytic converter. HC (Hydro carbons), CO (carbon monoxide) and NOx (oxides of nitrogen) ARE.

CO2 levels are an afterthought and get reduced as part of the above catalytic reactions....
    Ahh, thanks for that - didn't realise.

So from my conformity certificate these are the levels submitted to the DVLA and presumably what you would be measured against:

Spyder Emissions.jpg
    If I get chnace I'll contact the test centre I'm gong to and ask if these are measured in the Class3 trike test.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

So from my conformity certificate these are the levels submitted to the DVLA and presumably what you would be measured against:

Spyder Emissions.jpg
    If I get chnace I'll contact the test centre I'm gong to and ask if these are measured in the Class3 trike test.
    That is interesting. When you make your enquiry at the test centre I'd love the hear what they tell you as that would obviously affect my decision as to whether I try a cat delete or not. Perhaps you would be good enough to MP me the result just in case I miss it here on this forum. Cheers.

Spyder Garage

Default LaMonster Cat-bypass results II

Today finally got the chance to take my spyder for a proper ride. Although nice temperature (16 C), lot's of wind and wet road conditions.
    Drove on highways, thru villages, across dikes etcetera and can only report that the sound indeed is an improvement (at least to me).
    As for performance, hard to say but do notice some improvement in power ( the nanny kicked in more often).
    If it brings anything in topspeed I cannot test here in Holland (max 130km/80m), need to go to Germany where there is no limit in some areas. In standard mode i did 200km/125m. Not too bad anyways and not something you can do a lot. Wil try it out in spring under better weather conditions.
    So all'n'all still quite happy with this modification (replacing shocks was my other main mod, everybody should do that).
    2020 F3S , Matte black

Spyder Garage

Spyder Emissions.jpg
    Have just checked with my local Cam-AM Dealers, (On-A-Hill Garage Ltd, Ilfracombe, Devon, UK) who are always friendly and helpful and they say that emission tests are not required for the MOT on the Spyders so the CAT can be removed without causing failure problems. Apparently many of their customers have done this modification.

So now I want to check out the options, do I fit the Lamonster bypass pipe, with or without the can opener baffle or the Big City Thunder baffle, to my existing factory fitted muffler (long) Or do I go for the Spyderman's exhausts??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default "Cat" by-pass pipe

Quote Originally Posted by rays hell View Post
    Is the cat delete pipe you have for an F3T, because they are different ?
    If it'll fit a T or L I would like to purchase it.
    Fear not! I just bought an F3T and the by-pass pipe from the F3S went straight on.

Spyder Garage

Have just checked with my local Cam-AM Dealers, (On-A-Hill Garage Ltd, Ilfracombe, Devon, UK) who are always friendly and helpful and they say that emission tests are not required for the MOT on the Spyders so the CAT can be removed without causing failure problems. Apparently many of their customers have done this modification.

So now I want to check out the options, do I fit the Lamonster bypass pipe, with or without the can opener baffle or the Big City Thunder baffle, to my existing factory fitted muffler (long) Or do I go for the Spyderman's exhausts??
    Thanks for the update - useful info. I'm not intending removing the CAT myself but I do like the sound of the Monster Fuel Reflash so it's good to know emissions won't be an issue after the remap.

Spyder Garage

Default Cat Delete

20171009_154817.jpg
    I've done the CAT DELETE many times but the stupid thing keeps coming back...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan12 View Post
    20171009_154817.jpg
    I've done the CAT DELETE many times but the stupid thing keeps coming back...

Me thinks you are doin' it wrong....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

At Spyderfest they will have a special Cat delete to the 9th degree, It will delete your cat 9 times to eliminate those pesky cats from returning.
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Decided on the Lamonster delete pipe with the BCT baffle. Was impressed that it was delivered to me in the UK in just six days. Fitting was dead easy apart from those wretched springs. I had to work with Spyder down on the ground because I don't have means to raise it so it was a bit of a struggle. Had it not been for the springs the whole job would have been done in 15 minuets.

Really please with the result so far but not tested it out much on the road yet cus we've had a few icy days. And the sound is terrific, makes a spider roar like a lion.