Spyder Garage

Default How many battery connections is too many?

I see a lot of accessories that are connected directly to the battery terminals. How many is too many? Are there any simple connectors that can be added to accommodate multiple post connections? Any insight on this subject appreciated. Thanks!

Scott

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default MULTIPLE CONNECTORS

Quote Originally Posted by Sbdraz View Post
    I see a lot of accessories that are connected directly to the battery terminals. How many is too many? Are there any simple connectors that can be added to accommodate multiple post connections? Any insight on this subject appreciated. Thanks!

Scott
    The most I would put on a Standard terminal bolt is ..2... if you get a longer bolt you can have more .... but I wouldn't ... Add a cheap fuse block .... go to Bangood.com ....I bought one for $6.00 .... It's fused and doesn't need to be expensive to do the job you are using it for .... Some folks here spend $ 50.00 or more for a fuse block .... maybe theirs makes coffee too ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

with both gentlemen above...many times the more you put on the battery the more issues you have with loose and faulty connections. That results in no starting up and many warnings etc...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Check out FuzeBlocks FZ1. It is pricey (and it does not make coffee) but it gives you the option of keyed or constant power for your accessories simply by where you place the fuse. I have one on my M109R and it works great.

http://www.fuzeblocks.com/index.php?pid=10

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You may want to try this offering from Lamonster, two sets of terminals, just for you.

http://cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-1dz5qu...0.1280.jpg?c=2

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Hi Scott,

Re: I see a lot of accessories that are connected directly to the battery terminals. How many is too many? Are there any simple connectors that can be added to accommodate multiple post connections? Any insight on this subject appreciated. Thanks!

My son-on-law who is both a motorcycle guy and an electrical engineer, bought one of these:

https://easternbeaver.com/Main/Wirin...8.html#pc8only

I will soon be adding some more lites to my Spyder and I am thinking about getting one of these; it seems like it will make things much simpler.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) With the PC-8 you can have a Battery Tender on one of the unswitched circuits.
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Take a look at "Value-Accessories" on the home page. They have some 4 & 6 terminal power blocks.
    W5MWI

USN Vet - RM1
    Member: VFW & American Legion

2020 Spyder RT-L - Jupiter Metallic Blue Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    There are many accessory terminal blocks available for motorcycles. You wire these to your battery and then wire your accessories to the terminal block. This will keep battery connections to a minimum. Lots of these terminals are already equipped with fuses so you don't have to deal with that issue. I haven't checked any of the vendors on this site, but I'm willing to bet at least one of them may have what you need.
    Do that!

Spyder Garage

Default hooking directly to the battery

had only two things hooked directly to the battery a hookup for heated gear and the show chrome wiring harness for my trailer these hookups were questioned when a dess code occurred and were unhooked still haven't determined I the connections to the battery were the reason for the codes but must be concerned with it when hooking anything to the battery directly.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi Scott,

Re: I see a lot of accessories that are connected directly to the battery terminals. How many is too many? Are there any simple connectors that can be added to accommodate multiple post connections? Any insight on this subject appreciated. Thanks!

My son-on-law who is both a motorcycle guy and an electrical engineer, bought one of these:

I will soon be adding some more lites to my Spyder and I am thinking about getting one of these; it seems like it will make things much simpler.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) With the PC-8 you can have a Battery Tender on one of the unswitched circuits.

Jim (Eastern Beaver) makes good kit and ships quickly. You would never know that the items came from Japan if you didn't look at the mailing address. He's a BMW owner and has been in the business for a long time (15+ years that I am aware of). I've purchased his kits on 4 occasions and have been pleased with the quality each time.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

Spyder Garage

If you use ring connectors for the battery that allow wire to be clamped on/in them, you can put two or three wires in one connector.

Gives you one hook up to the battery and two or three wires to power stuff.
    Remember to use an appropriate size fuse on each circuit you add.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Good tip, thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    You may want to try this offering from Lamonster, two sets of terminals, just for you. http://cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-1dz5qu...0.1280.jpg?c=2 Joe
    An AGM battery with two sets of terminals. Great idea.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Hi Pete,

Re: Good tip, thanks.

Here's another one:

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__...seholders.html

I recommend that you buy the 30 Amp fuseholder to go with it:

Cooper-Bussman 30A Fuseholder for ATM Type Mini Blade Fuses

It's only $3.95.

I am going to buy both the PC-8, the 30 amp fuseholder and his Velcro to mount the PC-8:

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Wiring...PC-8/pc-8.html

PC-8 Mounting Accessories: You can come up with your own mounting materials and methods but here are some high quality mounting bits to help you mount the PC-8 to your bike.
    Dual Locks Strips - Two pairs of mating 3” (8 cm) Dual Lock strips.

Only $2.95 more,

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I bought some 12 guage stranded wire in red ( 8 ft ) & in black ( 4 ft ) up at Home Depot this morning; you'll need some of this also, to go from the battery terminals to the fuseholder & then to the PC-8..

'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DESS - BS

Quote Originally Posted by rustynail51 View Post
    had only two things hooked directly to the battery a hookup for heated gear and the show chrome wiring harness for my trailer these hookups were questioned when a dess code occurred and were unhooked still haven't determined I the connections to the battery were the reason for the codes but must be concerned with it when hooking anything to the battery directly.
    you are getting stroked by that dealer ...... accessary connections have NEVER been a cause for the DESS warning ..... your modem is failing and they MUST re-place it under Warranty .... because at some point it will Fail completely and nothing you can do will start your Spyder ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

thanks Mike