Spyder Garage

Default Looking for suggestions

I have an LED light bar to use on bike as a tail gunner. I need a portable 12 volt power source with a female cigarette lighter adaptor to put up behind windshield for light bar.
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White
    2010 Can Am Spyder RT - Full Moon

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default LIGHT BAR

I'd like to help but not enough info ......... Mike

Spyder Garage

Ya kinda confusing, you have tail light you want by windshield? The cigarette connector either side can be easily found at any auto parts store, just gotta wire up adapter.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Is there a question in there?
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Are you the guy I met in Buffalo, WY in July?

Spyder Garage

No, I am in Michigan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
    Are you the guy I met in Buffalo, WY in July?

Spyder Garage

What I am trying to do is use a flashing Amber LED light bar on windshield, when our group does group rides. This is to show that the bike is the Tail Gunner. If you have done SpyderQuest, you would know what I am referring to.
    I need a portable 12 volt source for the light bar, which is mounted by suction cups on windshield. I ordered a female cigarette lighter for installing where blank spot is, between rocker switches on dash, but doesn't look like there is room. So I am looking for a small portable 12 volt power source to put up behind windshield when using light bar.

Spyder Garage

I would buy the J T dash bar mount. He's a site sponsor. And mount a 12 v power supply to it. Then run wire down dash to fuse left box. You will have to remove instrument panel and left mirror to run wire. I ran mine down thru left windshield bracket. Under the frunk lid remove the left access panel to run wire to fuzebox.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Oh. You mean a 'temporary' power source for when you are actually using the light bar.
    Everything on a motorcycle is 'portable'!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveandBelinda View Post
    What I am trying to do is use a flashing Amber LED light bar on windshield, when our group does group rides. This is to show that the bike is the Tail Gunner. If you have done SpyderQuest, you would know what I am referring to.
    I need a portable 12 volt source for the light bar, which is mounted by suction cups on windshield. I ordered a female cigarette lighter for installing where blank spot is, between rocker switches on dash, but doesn't look like there is room. So I am looking for a small portable 12 volt power source to put up behind windshield when using light bar.
    How about this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chifrog-1000...cAAOSwKQBZlv9s
    2014 Spyder RS-S SE5
    Mods:

ST Limited Wheels
    RT Handlebars
    Ultimate Seats ST Midrider
    Lidlox Helmet Lock
    Show Chrome Brake Pedal Extension
    Excelvan X-Grip Cell Phone Holder w/USB Charger
    Much more to come......
    Ryder:
    6'-1" - 205lbs - 32"IS - 34"Reach

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You could put one in one of the speaker grills or put the same kind of plug on it as a battery tender and run the same kind of wire up from the battery. There are also other hookups available from Deltran for that setup.http://products.batterytender.com/Ac...e-Adaptor.html
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

That is a 12v source, but for usb, not for delivering 12v to a lighter socket.

Quote Originally Posted by cmbspyderrss View Post

Spyder Garage

That would work, just have to figure where the wire and female end would go when I am not using it. Thanks. Portable would be better, but this would work. Just wanted a small portable battery so I would not always have to be the one that uses the light, and can't expect everyone in the group to adapt their bike to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    You could put one in one of the speaker grills or put the same kind of plug on it as a battery tender and run the same kind of wire up from the battery. There are also other hookups available from Deltran for that setup.http://products.batterytender.com/Ac...e-Adaptor.html

Spyder Garage

Just checked speaker grill, and not enough depth before I would hit speaker with lighter socket.

That would work, just have to figure where the wire and female end would go when I am not using it. Thanks. Portable would be better, but this would work. Just wanted a small portable battery so I would not always have to be the one that uses the light, and can't expect everyone in the group to adapt their bike to use it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are a number of small 12v batteries; https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...ls/slaa12=2.9f

Just put the battery box in the frunk and run the cable to the light bar into there. Would that work?
    Last edited by UtahPete; 09-18-2017 at 12:54 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

That would work, but if I have to route wires into frunk, then I might as well hook to the bike battery, unless you were thinking of running the wires under the frunk lid, which I am not sure lid would close, or maybe damage weather seal. Just trying to find a way that me or others in the group doesn't have to alter anything on their bike to use the light.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    There are a number of small 12v batteries; https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...ls/slaa12=2.9f

Just put the battery box in the frunk and run the cable to the light bar into there. Would that work?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That would work, but if I have to route wires into frunk, then I might as well hook to the bike battery, unless you were thinking of running the wires under the frunk lid, which I am not sure lid would close, or maybe damage weather seal. Just trying to find a way that me or others in the group doesn't have to alter anything on their bike to use the light.
    Hooking to bike battery wouldn't make it 'portable'. I think you'll find the frunk lid is quite flexible so if you route the wire away from the latch it should work fine as a temporary solution.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Your probably right. I am just too anal about my bike. I called Batteries + yesterday, and am going up to look at what they have. Said that he has one about 2"x4" for about $21.00

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Hooking to bike battery wouldn't make it 'portable'. I think you'll find the frunk lid is quite flexible so if you route the wire away from the latch it should work fine as a temporary solution.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What I am trying to do is use a flashing Amber LED light bar on windshield, when our group does group rides.
    I suggest that you should check with the DMV and/or State Police to be sure this is legal in your area before you spend too much time and money on it.

And I have to ask......if this light is facing forward, what is the perceived advantage to other riders in the group in knowing how far ahead of the tail gunner they ARE ?
    Seems to me it would be more of a distraction than a help.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 09-19-2017 at 03:34 PM.