Spyder Garage

Default Battery or alternator

I have been having a problem with my RT. After a heavy rain it would not start. I replaced the battery today with a lithium battery.
    I drove it about 3 miles and stopped for a half hour and my battery was dead. I put the old battery back and drove it home, again I got about 3 miles and it died.
    I'm thinking it could be the alternator. After changing the battery do I need to reset anything? Before installing both batteries I charged them up and they were both fully charged.
    What do I need to check to see what the problem is?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default B or A

It certainly sounds like the alternator isn't re-charging your Batteries ........sorry but I don't know how you would test for that ........... someone will chime in or send a PM to BillyBovine >>>>> Mike

Spyder Garage

Your 2012 does not have an alternator, it has a magneto. Very different, and much lower wattage output. I agree with Mike, Billy would know the difference in output between the two.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default OUT-PUT

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    Your 2012 does not have an alternator, it has a magneto. Very different, and much lower wattage output. I agree with Mike, Billy would know the difference in output between the two.
    Thanks, I didn't know it was a 2012 Spyder ..... the Magneto is about 600 watts the Alternator is 1200 .... PM Billy ... Mike

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The magneto will charge your battery without any problems IF it is working properly. Back in July my wife and I were starting out on a long ride to eat and ride around in Indiana before our Spyder decided otherwise.

We only got about 50 miles before "Low Battery Voltage" came up on the screen. Made it about 3 more miles to a convenience store before all kinds of lights and warnings came on.

Thought, no prayed, it was a bad battery but it wasn't. We put a new Duracell battery in because it was all we could get that would work. That battery allowed us to ride maybe 40-50 miles before the same thing happened.

Long story short, our dealer found our stator had shorted out. A month later we had it fixed good as new. Thankfully, it happened 10 days before our BEST warranty expired. It was covered but if it wasn't, it would have been about $1700 to repair.

The tech told us that the electronics on the Spyder will zap a battery, even a new one, quickly if it isn't getting charged. Hope yours is something simple. Good luck!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Default GOOD MAGNETO

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal View Post
    The magneto will charge your battery without any problems IF it is working properly. Back in July my wife and I were starting out on a long ride to eat and ride around in Indiana before our Spyder decided otherwise.

We only got about 50 miles before "Low Battery Voltage" came up on the screen. Made it about 3 more miles to a convenience store before all kinds of lights and warnings came on.

Thought, no prayed, it was a bad battery but it wasn't. We put a new Duracell battery in because it was all we could get that would work. That battery allowed us to ride maybe 40-50 miles before the same thing happened.

Long story short, our dealer found our stator had shorted out. A month later we had it fixed good as new. Thankfully, it happened 10 days before our BEST warranty expired. It was covered but if it wasn't, it would have been about $1700 to repair.

The tech told us that the electronics on the Spyder will zap a battery, even a new one, quickly if it isn't getting charged. Hope yours is something simple. Good luck!
    On the Magneto .... only if you stay above 4500 rpm's .... below that and it won't replace the charge in your battery .... that's what I've read on this Forum .....Mike

Spyder Garage

thanks guys, I'll pm billy

Spyder Garage

Default Magneto...

The 14's got the alernators the rest of us have stators and rectifiers. Fastest test is simply put a voltmeter on the battery and test the output from the stator. If you have a cigarette lighter you can get a plug in voltmeter for a few bucks. You should have over 12 volts even at idle and when revved up close to 14 volts. If there is no change then you need to move to the components. Check stator, rectifier and battery.. can be anyone or all.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

A bad magneto can actually suck the power from a battery. That is what it sounds like to me.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Fixed! I had this guy put in the battery since I'm on the road and don't have all my tools or space to do it. He forgot to put the small ground wire on the battery

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ahh-cool View Post
    Fixed! I had this guy put in the battery since I'm on the road and don't have all my tools or space to do it. He forgot to put the small ground wire on the battery
    ........mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Stefan,
    Glad to hear that your bike is working properly again!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    The mechanics of the charging mechanism makes no difference and neither does the "wattage".
    If the system isn't putting out at least 13.2 volts at idle it won't keep the battery charged......no matter what kind of battery it is.

So.....a simple voltmeter test of the voltage at the battery while running should give a really good clue.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dwight's point was that the magnetos that were used in the 998s did an "Okay" job. of keeping things charged up.
    But the 1330's alternator does a much better job!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Volt Meter

Deltran makes a really neat volt meter that plugs into the pigtail for your Battery Tender.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Lithium battery

I'm interested to see how the Li battery holds up in your Spyder. I have one in my V-Max. It has worked great for years and weighs NOTHING. Lets us knowhow it holds up.

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow