Spyder Garage

Default Baja Ron Sway Bar Impressions - 2016 Spyder F3-T

I had the Baja Ron Sway bar installed on my 2016 F3-T by a dealer recently (got ripped off in price, but I did not want to do it myself - off to a different dealer next time). I agree with previous posters that it has made a significant difference in handling. The bike is much more stable and there is less lean in the curves. I also notice much less "bump-steer" over rough surfaces. A light grip is easier to maintain and the bike tracks very well - like its on rails. It is difficult to compare directly to the stock set up, but the ride seems a little "stiffer" than stock. it could be my imagination. I am considering softening the shocks a tad to soften the ride but am wondering if all that would accomplish is to return it to its stock BRP sway bar handling characteristics.

Anyway, I am extremely pleased with the result. I think there may have been some questions about whether the Baja Ron Sway bar was necessary or not on 2016 and later F3's. All I can say is that the effect was dramatic and noticeable on mine.

I will be getting a laser alignment done in a couple of weeks. It will be interesting to see if I notice further improvement.

Wayne

Spyder Garage

Wayne,

I'm sure Ron will respond to your post in case my comment here is not spot on, but he has said on many occasions that the bar can not make the ride stiffer or softer per se. It simply reduces sway and improves stabilisation in corners and on cambers due to it being stiffer.

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 09-14-2017 at 04:54 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wvedec View Post
    I had the Baja Ron Sway bar installed on my 2016 F3-T by a dealer recently (got ripped off in price, but I did not want to do it myself - off to a different dealer next time). I agree with previous posters that it has made a significant difference in handling. The bike is much more stable and there is less lean in the curves. I also notice much less "bump-steer" over rough surfaces. A light grip is easier to maintain and the bike tracks very well - like its on rails. It is difficult to compare directly to the stock set up, but the ride seems a little "stiffer" than stock. it could be my imagination. I am considering softening the shocks a tad to soften the ride but am wondering if all that would accomplish is to return it to its stock BRP sway bar handling characteristics.

Anyway, I am extremely pleased with the result. I think there may have been some questions about whether the Baja Ron Sway bar was necessary or not on 2016 and later F3's. All I can say is that the effect was dramatic and noticeable on mine.

I will be getting a laser alignment done in a couple of weeks. It will be interesting to see if I notice further improvement.

Wayne
    I love selling stuff. Always have. But really, it is the satisfied customer that makes this entire process enjoyable. Thank you so much for the kind words.

Most riders instinctively set the shock spring pre-load stiffer than it needs to be in an attempt to reduce the lean and roll. In reality, this is an effort to compensate for a weak sway bar. It is the sway bar's primary function to reduce sway and lean. While the shock's main job is to dampen(slow and control) suspension travel while allowing for as much movement as necessary to provide a comfortable ride. Though this is an exacting science. Everyone's perception of a 'Nice Ride' and 'Great Handling' vary somewhat.

Sometimes you can better visualize a situation by going to extremes.
    In this case. If you removed the shocks and replaced them with a steel bar, you would no longer have any need for a sway bar as the Spyder then COULD NOT LEAN at all! But, of course, the ride would be horrendous! It is easy to resolve one problem by creating another, even more severe problem elsewhere. Government does this all the time. But I digress...

So, what most are trying to accomplish is to improve handling without sacrificing the nice ride. After installing the sway bar upgrade, most are able to bump down the shock spring pre-load a bit to get a nicer ride without sacrificing handling. I recommend experimenting with different settings to find your personal preference.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I love selling stuff. Always have. But really, it is the satisfied customer that makes this entire process enjoyable. Thank you so much for the kind words.

Most riders instinctively set the shock spring pre-load stiffer than it needs to be in an attempt to reduce the lean and roll. In reality, this is an effort to compensate for a weak sway bar. It is the sway bar's primary function to reduce sway and lean. While the shock's main job is to dampen(slow and control) suspension travel while allowing for as much movement as necessary to provide a comfortable ride. Though this is an exacting science. Everyone's perception of a 'Nice Ride' and 'Great Handling' vary somewhat.

Sometimes you can better visualize a situation by going to extremes.
    In this case. If you removed the shocks and replaced them with a steel bar, you would no longer have any need for a sway bar as the Spyder then COULD NOT LEAN at all! But, of course, the ride would be horrendous! It is easy to resolve one problem by creating another, even more severe problem elsewhere. Government does this all the time. But I digress...

So, what most are trying to accomplish is to improve handling without sacrificing the nice ride. After installing the sway bar upgrade, most are able to bump down the shock spring pre-load a bit to get a nicer ride without sacrificing handling. I recommend experimenting with different settings to find your personal preference.

Thanks, Ron, for the excellent analysis. I will play a little with it, but I really like it pretty much as it is.

Spyder Garage

Default Baja Ron

One of the best upgrades you can add. installed one this weekend on my 2016 F3T. To me it made a great difference. Test rode today 250 mile I think it great. Thanks Ron

Spyder Garage

Ron's sway bar and laser alignment on my F3T this weekend.. can't wait 😎

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bruisr View Post
    Ron's sway bar and laser alignment on my F3T this weekend.. can't wait 😎
    You don't think you need to do an alignment BECAUSE you are putting Ron's bar on, do you Bruisr? ......or are you just getting it done independent of Ron's bar?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

It a great addition Bruisr and you will notice the difference. Joe and Ann are great to work with and defiantly know what they are doing.

2017 F3T Black
    2016 RT LTD Black - Traded
    2015 Indian Chief Vintage Red

Spyder Garage

Independent of the sway bar.. Joe was able to pick up Ron's sway bar at the St George Spyderfest. I was initially planning to have Joe install a belt tensioner and alignment.. now the sway bar😎... LED's(and related)next😳. This forum has been really helpful on upgrades that should be done and also avoided👍

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    You don't think you need to do an alignment BECAUSE you are putting Ron's bar on, do you Bruisr? ......or are you just getting it done independent of Ron's bar?

Pete
    Installing the BajaRon sway bar kit does not affect alignment. If your alignment is bad before you install the bar kit it will be just as bad after. If you're alignment is spot on before you install the bar kit it will be spot on after.

The sway bar install does, however, help maintain correct alignment through turns, during cross winds or when in turbulence as you pass large trucks, etc. This generally adds to the stability and easier handling of your Spyder in these situations.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 09-28-2017 at 10:03 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...