Thread: ROAD GATOR

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default ROAD GATOR

WOW it's been a while ... Getting ready for retirement work has really keep me going taking all my time. Anyway This morning rolling down the Highway as I do every morning. Keeping an eye on all the nuts on the highway a double trailer semi pulled in front of me at a slower rate of speed than I was doing so I signaled and moved over only to find a ROAD GATOR (Large Truck Tire) Stretched across my lane it ripped the noise 3/4 of the way off my RS. It took the better part of a mile before I could get enough shoulder to stop. Thest new HOV lanes tale away the shoulder to add more yahoos to the road. So I will be looking for parts to fix my 2012 RS and I need to keep it on the road cause it's my only means of transportation to and from work.... 12 more working days jtpollock.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

WOW, glad it wasn't any worse than that! lucky. be sure and take a look at the tie rods when you get the nose off of it. enjoy your retirement!

Spyder Garage

Glad you're OK. Don't take any chances and maybe rent a car while you look over the Spyder well.
    The rims are also prone to damage from relatively minor impacts.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad you are OK, good luck on the retirement.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Glad that you didn't get hurt. This is one of those times that you probably wouldn't have faired so well if you had been on 2 wheels. Hope you get it fixed with minimal expense, and good luck with your retirement.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow!! That could have been a lot worse. Glad you're OK and on your impending retirement!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default JUST A POSSIBILITY

Quote Originally Posted by jtpollock View Post
    WOW it's been a while ... Getting ready for retirement work has really keep me going taking all my time. Anyway This morning rolling down the Highway as I do every morning. Keeping an eye on all the nuts on the highway a double trailer semi pulled in front of me at a slower rate of speed than I was doing so I signaled and moved over only to find a ROAD GATOR (Large Truck Tire) Stretched across my lane it ripped the noise 3/4 of the way off my RS. It took the better part of a mile before I could get enough shoulder to stop. Thest new HOV lanes tale away the shoulder to add more yahoos to the road. So I will be looking for parts to fix my 2012 RS and I need to keep it on the road cause it's my only means of transportation to and from work.... 12 more working days jtpollock.
    If you can get the FRUNK off ... the Spyder can SAFELY be driven without the FRUNK until you can get it fixed or re-placed ...... I have driven mine this for extended periods of time ...even in the Rain ....... the only thing you will notice is a flashing orange where the mileage box is and an engine symbol in the right corner .... also your Temp will read 68 degree's ..... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Road gaters are one of my biggest fears. I live close to an interstate and have to watch for those critters all the time. Glad you made it through the experience.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    If you can get the FRUNK off ... the Spyder can SAFELY be driven without the FRUNK until you can get it fixed or re-placed ...... I have driven mine this for extended periods of time ...even in the Rain ....... the only thing you will notice is a flashing orange where the mileage box is and an engine symbol in the right corner .... also your Temp will read 68 degree's ..... good luck ... Mike
    Mike thanks for the info I just took a look and its JUST!!! the BUMPER Cover Rt lower Deflector Skid Plate the suspension looks to be OK Wheels and tires are good It may not be as bad as it could have been Thank to all with well wishes.

Spyder Garage

Default It's good that you fared so well...

... in this road gator incident. It sounds like there are two pieces of good news... 1) You are fine and came through with no serious injuries and 2) there is less damage than could have happened. Congratulations on your retirement! Finish well and I know you will enjoy you retirement years... we sure do! There is a period of adjustment that is pretty common. When I first retired, I got up (later than normal - didn't have to roll out at 5:30), had my coffee, finished last night's paper, and then said, "Now what do I do?" Well, I have been retired a little over three years and now I say, "How did I ever have time to work?" We are doing what we want to do and our days of full of all kinds of activities. Congratulations.
    Jim

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy66 View Post
    ... in this road gator incident. It sounds like there are two pieces of good news... 1) You are fine and came through with no serious injuries and 2) there is less damage than could have happened. Congratulations on your retirement! Finish well and I know you will enjoy you retirement years... we sure do! There is a period of adjustment that is pretty common. When I first retired, I got up (later than normal - didn't have to roll out at 5:30), had my coffee, finished last night's paper, and then said, "Now what do I do?" Well, I have been retired a little over three years and now I say, "How did I ever have time to work?" We are doing what we want to do and our days of full of all kinds of activities. Congratulations.
    Jim

Jim,

Thanks I am looking forward to not driving 36 miles one way every morning that 36 miles would be better in the mountains. I am retiring after 39 years in the same office doing the same job and will have spent my whole career in a building that will be torn down one year after I leave. Hard to believe a Building will not last for more than 40 years. jtpollock

Spyder Garage

Default BUSY RETIREMENT

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy66 View Post
    Jim
    ..............enjoy .....Mike

Spyder Garage

Road Gators are not fun!

I had the pleasure of running over one at night on the way up to Valcourt and managed to get air-born. A real white knuckle experience but managed to keep the F3 under control.

Glad to hear you're okay and happy retirement. 6 years to go and counting for me.
    Just another crappy day in Paradise....Aloha!

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you are all right. Happy retirement--you are going to like it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks all... this is what I like about this site everybody. As far as retirement after 39 years at this job 7 years in my own buisness and 4 years in the USAF I am looking forward to some R&R, putting my Spyder back together and some long rides in the Mountains of Colorado. Thanks again to all. jtpollock

Spyder Garage

Default Yikes...!!

Congrats on the retirement.. Always start with the good...Bummer about the road gator.. hope you can get all the parts quickly but as Mike stated you can manage with out the frunk till then. Glad your good and handled it so well...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Look on the bright side: Retirement is coming along at a very opportune time!

And the damage isn't as bad as it could have been!

on no more punching timeclocks!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

God was your copilot. you could have been badly hurt too.enjoy retirement.--irv
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Road Gator

O.K. I took a close look last night the frunk was not damaged. The Road Gator was very hungry it ate my Smooth Spyder, the Bumper cover ( BRP Parts Name) the Skid Plat, the lower Deflector and the front Panel (the one that holds the fog Lights on the RS) then I notices how close it came to getting me as half of my foot rest is missing... that was close. jtpollock

Spyder Garage

Default GATOR

Quote Originally Posted by jtpollock View Post
    O.K. I took a close look last night the frunk was not damaged. The Road Gator was very hungry it ate my Smooth Spyder, the Bumper cover ( BRP Parts Name) the Skid Plat, the lower Deflector and the front Panel (the one that holds the fog Lights on the RS) then I notices how close it came to getting me as half of my foot rest is missing... that was close. jtpollock
    ..... those things weigh quite a bit ...... glad YOU weren't hurt ...... Mike