Spyder Garage

Default Slow Turning Starter

Posting this here because it could be any Spyder model. Mushu was not acting right. Very slow starter. Thinking battery, or worse, a starter problem. Spyder is only 15 months old, so it would be a warranty problem if it is the starter. Took out the frunk to get to the battery. Put the wrench on the negative post nut. Very loose. Checked the positive post. Again, very loose. Tightened both up. Hit the starter, roared to life. My guess is they need to be checked from time to time. I breathed a big sigh of relief as we leave Saturday for Pigeon Forge, TN.. Thankfully this was a non event. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SLOW

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Posting this here because it could be any Spyder model. Mushu was not acting right. Very slow starter. Thinking battery, or worse, a starter problem. Spyder is only 15 months old, so it would be a warranty problem if it is the starter. Took out the frunk to get to the battery. Put the wrench on the negative post nut. Very loose. Checked the positive post. Again, very loose. Tightened both up. Hit the starter, roared to life. My guess is they need to be checked from time to time. I breathed a big sigh of relief as we leave Saturday for Pigeon Forge, TN.. Thankfully this was a non event. Tom
    ...... Hi T, I have had the same issue since I bought my RT back in 14 .... I think the Dealer ....didn't properly charge my battery, and it has a long crank before starting .... I've checked this against other 14 RT's and they all start much quicker than mine ...... I'll keep mine until it craps out ... I NOW have one of those Lithium mini chargers - just in case ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

This is more common than everyone thinks it is. At one time or another I've found loose battery cables on close to every brand of M/C I've owned.

It'll drive you nuts someday and you'll look in several places for the problem, tearing this or that apart, and disconnecting things like lights you've recently added and then you'll find the loose cable. After that, you'll check them every month or so...DAMHIK

Spyder Garage

Good information. Thanks for the reminder.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Close one....😰

That will do it...Glad you popped the top and checked it out. Have also seen the wrong length bolts used and they bottom out leaving a loose connection...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Tom!
    Glad to see that you found and fixed the problem!
    Now: have a safe and fun trip!
    Take pictures for us!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Same issue

I was surprised on my F3T how minimally loose the cable was compared to how tough the starting was getting, but like you, tightened it up, problem fixed