Spyder Garage

Default SpyderPops beltguard install

Good Evening everyone. I bought the SpyderPops belt-guard and I'm trying to install it. It says remove the 2 screws for the oem cover and backing nuts. Is this a 2 man job? I can't even see the nuts and can't reach them blindly from the left side so I'm guessing someone has to be on the right side to finger find the nuts while someone on the left removes the screws. It's supposed to be simple with an offset 10mm wrench. Maybe I'm just slow and/or not seeing something. Thanks, Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Default My wife assisted me

I for one think it's a 2 person job. At least it makes it a lot easier ..!! Good luck..!
    2016 RT-Ltd
    Bajaron swaybar
    Spyderpops trunk light
    Elka stage 2 front shocks
    Extra longbrake pedal
    brake modulator
    Centramatic wheel balancers on the front and rear.
    Rivco dual flag holder
    Tricled mirror turn signal indicators
    with American and Texas flags
    Lamonster Magic Mirrors
    missing belt guard
    Lambskin seat cover from Smokey mountain sheepskin.com
    Tricled 360 degree led Headlights
    Lamonster led fog lights
    Baker air wings
    2019 Silverado Duramax dually
    2019 Cyclone 4007 toyhauler
    Spyderpops bumpskid w led light
    Rivco brand footrest
    spydermanexhaust.com exhaust
    had my exhaust installed @ Spyder in the hills.

Spyder Garage

I am in the same antiquary as you. Not real sure also on my 2014. Gonna take mine to Red Rocks and have it installed there.
    Would be interested on a better diagrams and explanation also.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmh9680 View Post
    Good Evening everyone. I bought the SpyderPops belt-guard and I'm trying to install it. It says remove the 2 screws for the oem cover and backing nuts. Is this a 2 man job? I can't even see the nuts and can't reach them blindly from the left side so I'm guessing someone has to be on the right side to finger find the nuts while someone on the left removes the screws. It's supposed to be simple with an offset 10mm wrench. Maybe I'm just slow and/or not seeing something. Thanks, Mike
    I installed one on my 2013 RT. You need some room to do it. You have to take off the stock Belt Guard. As I recall, there were three screws, two at the rear of the belt guard which you can use a screwdriver with a torx bit to remove, and the one at the very front - towards the front of the Spyder - that requires a very small right angle ratchet wrench that will hold a torx bit. Even a 1/4 inch drive ratchet is too big. The one I have is about 1/2 the size of a 1/4 inch ratchet and will hold a single bit. I can't remember where I got it, must have been 30 years ago. The second one on the link below looks just like the one I have. Small enough that you can get in there to take that one screw out & put it back in without taking a lot of other stuff off. I think there are nuts on the backside to remove, maybe 10 mm, and I seem to remember that the SpyderPops kit came with clamp on type nuts to replace the removed ones, making re-installing the OEM belt guard much easier than trying to thread screws into a nut that you can't see. One person can do it, just takes patience. And you will lay on your back a lot.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/mini-ratchet
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

If I remember right the 2013 was different than the 2014's. Was told the 2014's were a lot easier.......

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wd8ajj View Post
    If I remember right the 2013 was different than the 2014's. Was told the 2014's were a lot easier.......
    That could very well be, and probably is.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

I didn't have any problem and didn't need any special tools. You can't see the nuts so just need to put the open end of a 10mm on them by feel and use a ratcheting screwdriver on the front side. The forward screw came out OK just using a regular driver. After putting the new clip-on nuts in place, the hardest part for me was getting everything lined up to get the screws back in. I'm old, fat-fingered, and slow, but got the entire job done in about a half hour. I did lift the bike a bit to give me a little more room..... Good luck
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I put my front wheels up on some automobile ramps, was installing bump skid at same time as belt guard, and used a 1970s vintage 10mm/11mm double box end wrench. Yes, it was a little tight getting the wrench onto the nuts but I've done harder things. Patience and determination, Grasshopper.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Maybe tomorrow I will try again. Both my shoulders are bad (one has been replaced) so everything is a little harder nowadays. I do not see how I can get a wrench on the nuts from the left side so I guess I will recruit the wife which usually doesn't end up too well. On top of that I need to go to the Social security office tomorrow. What could be better. Thanks, Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO