Spyder Garage

Default Time to choose between Mustang and Ultimate

Decision time for my wife and I.
    We have put 4,000 miles on our new to us Spyder RT is the past 6 weeks and we really love it..........EXCEPT.......the stock seat is killing our old butts.
    We bought 2 airhawk R cushions and they help a bit but we still seem about done after riding 60 miles. Then on the ride home we can't make the 60 miles without stopping and getting off.

I've read all the posts regarding aftermarket seats on this site and narrowed our choices down to 2 seats, Mustang and Ultimate.
    Anyway, I've had Mustang seats on several 2 wheelers and been pretty happy with them.
    I've had Ultimate seats on 2 bikes. 1 was horrible for both of us on a Yamaha Royal Star and 1 was wonderful on a Honda VTX.
    We returned to Ultimate for the Yamaha under the 14 day trial period but lost the shipping costs of course.

Pros for Mustang to me are.......I've never had one that wasn't better than the stock seat.
    Pros for Ultimate to me are.......14 day return policy and with the Ultimate on the honda VTX it was to only bike and seat that I've ever been able to ride tank to tank on.

I guess my hope with this post is to get more feedback on the Mustang seat from those who have been using it.
    Ultimate seems to have close to 100% approval rating on this site and that says a lot.

regards
    Greg
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

Default Moto-Skiveez

I have a similar problem, I'm thinking of trying this out first
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ruiser-skiveez

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There is RDL seat in the WTB area. Lots have stated this seat is good too

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PocoToro View Post
    I have a similar problem, I'm thinking of trying this out first
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ruiser-skiveez
    motorcycle underwear help a lot no seams in the wrong places and many other advantages
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

Everyone's bum is different Wrongway, so even though some may love one or the other, you simply won't know till you try them yourselves. Since you have never had a bad Mustang, why don't you try them first and resign yourself to the fact that you will have to wear shipping if they don't work out and you have to move to the Ultimate?

.....and if the Ultimate doesn't work out you can wear the shipping on that too....

......or......you could do some sums on Mustangs/Ultimates and possible shipping costs and see how the cost of a custom Russell Daylong fits into the scheme of things. They guarantee all day comfort and will adjust the seat if that is not met.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default Russell Daylong Seat

I have RDL on my Honda NT700V, like it a lot. Have a production date for Spyder in early Nov. You do have to take seat off and send it in. Getting 2 tone look, with sunbrella on bum area
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Default right way , wrongway ----

I see this a lot , from other riders , it is the distance that is ridden , that is kicking your behind ! even on the 60 mile trips , you go 60 miles but it takes 3 or 4 hours , get off and do a walk around , stretch the legs and just enjoy the views and scenery , then go some more ... seems to be that 45 minutes of riding , or 1 hour maybe , should give more relief during long rides { just not young as you once were }

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The Mustang for the Spyder is fairly new and there is little history or knowledge here. But......

- Like you, I had a GREAT Mustang seat on my old Honda Shadow Sabre. LOVED it.
    - Like you, I hated the stock seat. I bought the Ultimate Tallboy and really like it.
    - I've never heard anything bad about the RDL. You'd have to send in the old seat pan, but you might find one here cheap so you could ride your current seat until they make the new one.
    - There are always Corbin fans, it seems that people either hate or love them, very few in the middle. Some have complained of quality control issues the last few years.
    - Ultimate and Corbin are available with fuel doors - really nice feature! Don't know about RDL or Mustang.

At this point you should be completely confused. I tried the Ultimate simply due to it's 14 day return policy, which makes a lot of sense for a $1000 investment, so you've really got nothing to loose other than shipping cost.

One final final note - swapping seats on the Spyder is a P.I.T.A.!
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Thanks to everyone for the great information and suggestions. Based on the lack of information about the Mustang seat, we just ordered the Ultimate mid-rider.
    That way if we don't like it, we have 14 days to return it.

thanks again to everyone who took the time to respond. It's appreciated.

Greg
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Consider ordering it with the fuel door - really nice feature.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    Consider ordering it with the fuel door - really nice feature.
    We considered it but ordered the basic seat. Wife says that she needs to get off the bike while fueling.
    Back rests can always be added at a later date.
    We live 90 minutes from where they make them so getting stuff is no issue.

Greg
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

Default Ultimate Seat

I never had a mustang seat, but I do have a Ultimate. I can ride all day and only stop for gas..... Never been so satisfied with any seat...
    Attached Images Attached Images