Thread: Trailer Towing?

Spyder Garage

Default Trailer Towing?

Hi Folks,
    A question to those that tow small trailers.
    We have an R/TL with the trailer hitch. Since the hitch attachement point is a hard point to the swing arm/rear axle and not like a conventional bike hitch attached to the bike body. Does this lack of softening by the suspension cause any problems when towing? To the trailer that is connected.

Thank's in advance,
    Johnny Canuck

Spyder Garage

I just recently pulled a Aluma cargo trailer on a trip out west and pulled the trailer 8000 + miles. I didn't even know the trailer was back there. My 2015 RTS pulled it with no problems to either the Spyder or the trailer.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

The trailer takes a beating. some worse than others. The tounge mounts broke on my Bushtec and the bottles in the cooler broke. The Spyder will tow it just fine but put sensitive stuff as far back in the trailer as you can. A proper frame mount hitch is the answer but nobody is building one at this time. I built one and it's a time consuming pain in the ass but it works.

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Towed a Bunkhouse for 3, 2 week trips of about 5,000 miles each.

I have a tongue mounted cooler that I carry all sorts of things in including some glass bottles and I have never had any problem. I would think that those would have broken if there was a major issue with how the hitch is mounted. I don't notice any jarring unless I hit a BIG pothole and that would take place with either style of trailer hitch mounting. I felt the same thing on my Yamaha Venture Royale when I towed the Bunkhouse.

I get more bounce out of the torsion suspension on the trailer. either way the 2015 RT towed the trailer without a problem for a lot of miles!
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Freedom trailer

Quote Originally Posted by johnny canuck View Post
    Hi Folks,
    A question to those that tow small trailers.
    We have an R/TL with the trailer hitch. Since the hitch attachement point is a hard point to the swing arm/rear axle and not like a conventional bike hitch attached to the bike body. Does this lack of softening by the suspension cause any problems when towing? To the trailer that is connected.

Thank's in advance,
    Johnny Canuck

I have the factory Canam Freedom trailer and it tracks perfectly with my RT S and don't really know I am towing it. It's so smooth that when I forget its there I take turns and all of the sudden am conscious that I have it and have come close to hooking things lol. The air ride suspension is in no way affected by towing a trailer as long as you stay within the factory weight ratings for a trailer.
    IMG_20160515_1646407.jpg IMG_20160515_1128039.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Safety chains with safety latches

Also be sure that your safety chains have the safety latches so they can't jump off the hitch eyes...Last year on my first trip with my trailer I had the safety chains with the S hooks and they jumped off frequently. One of the first things I did when returning home was visit etrailer and purchased a set of C81266 hooks...https://www.etrailer.com/comparison....66&pc2=RKY1085

larryd

Spyder Garage

Pack soft unbreakable stuff (cloths, boots, etc.) in the front. Items that are more likely to break or go "fizz" should go further towards the rear. Just don't overload (it's easy to do) and keep tongue weight at 30 to a maximum of 40 lbs. I towed my RT622 trailer almost 6,000 miles this summer with no issues. It takes a little extra space to pass vehicles and some getting use to backing up. Other than that, It's a breeze. The trailer probably has very minimal feel on the Spyder because the hitch is attached to the unsprung swing arm. I would personally not attach more weight, such as a cooler, to the tongue. I know others do and may not have a problem. But I think trailers with coolers on the tongue were built/designed for hitches that were part of the sprung vehicle.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Default Hannigan has suspension

Quote Originally Posted by fjray View Post
    The trailer takes a beating. some worse than others. The tounge mounts broke on my Bushtec and the bottles in the cooler broke. The Spyder will tow it just fine but put sensitive stuff as far back in the trailer as you can. A proper frame mount hitch is the answer but nobody is building one at this time. I built one and it's a time consuming pain in the ass but it works.
    http://www.hannigantrikes.com/product-type/trailers/

Spyder Garage

And this means What????

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WHAT -WHAT

Quote Originally Posted by fjray View Post
    And this means What????
    They look like trailers to me ........ and at a D*MN good price , considering the suspension & overall LOOK of them ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    They look like trailers to me ........ and at a D*MN good price , considering the suspension & overall LOOK of them ..... Mike
    Gotta love a keen sense of the obvious

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

My RT 622 has around 160,000 miles on it. I haven't had any issues with cargo or the trailer taking a beating.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Price looks good.....Until you realize the price quoted is for an unpainted plain shell with wheels and lights. After getting it painted ($1,000+) and adding features that you want, the price becomes premium. But, they are good looking when finished.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Painting

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Price looks good.....Until you realize the price quoted is for an unpainted plain shell with wheels and lights. After getting it painted ($1,000+) and adding features that you want, the price becomes premium. But, they are good looking when finished.
    Look on U-Tube for DIY painting ..... there are some very nice video's of what people have discovered about Paints and painting ........... Mike