Spyder Garage

Default Need info on How To Install new paddle shifter

Recently had laser alignment at Cowtown and bike sure tracks better down the road. Had a Transmission code that popped up and BUDS indicated a soft shift which was cleared while at Cowtown. ( Great people there by the way, just almost a 3 hour drive from where I live.) The problem reappeared soon after I got home and the mechanic said it was more than likely the paddle shifter going bad. It cleared when I shifted pretty aggressively, but the code keeps reappearing. I usually shift pretty aggressively at higher RPM, but have some lower speed shifts during Patriot Guard Missions.

Fast forward and I have the OEM replacement part. I am a pretty decent mechanic, so not afraid of installing, just not quite sure what all needs to come off to reach the modular plug so I can swap out. Any suggestions, video, sequence to disassemble, etc would help. The Tupperware around the speedometer/ gauge area is kind of different, so do not want to break it by using improper techniques to separate the plastic snap together parts. Looks like the wiring harness terminates up under the speedometer and electronics area, but I can not see in there well enough or get my hand in to unplug the harness. I have already removed the tupperwear from the sides of the 2008 GS SE5 so can see into the engine compartment at least some.

Suggestions on how to complete are welcomed!! Nothing gained by telling me to take it to a dealer, just would rather work on it myself. Thanks!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not sure if it will cover what you need, but entering the part number into instructions.brp.com or something similar may help. Might be instructions.brp@brp.com.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    Not sure if it will cover what you need, but entering the part number into instructions.brp.com or something similar may help. Might be instructions.brp@brp.com.
    Great idea. will give it a try. Thanks

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

If you look in the DIY forum you might find where Lamont did a video on taking off panels etc. but it will be really old, which may make it hard to find. Do you have a shop manual? You can purchase them for download on EBay

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    If you look in the DIY forum you might find where Lamont did a video on taking off panels etc. but it will be really old, which may make it hard to find. Do you have a shop manual? You can purchase them for download on EBay
    I do have the owners manual, but not the full shop manual, so may need to get a copy. I am already very familiar with removing body panels. Looking for exact wiring harness routing and what all needs to be removed to save some time. Pretty long harness that snakes it way through the frame, etc so looking for any short cuts, etc. Already have all front side panels off, just trying to avoid pulling the frunk, etc if not necessary. Popped the gauge cluster out, but very hard to follow the harness through the frame, even with the side panels off.

All suggestions appreciated!! Thanks!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3Willie View Post
    I do have the owners manual, but not the full shop manual, so may need to get a copy. I am already very familiar with removing body panels. Looking for exact wiring harness routing and what all needs to be removed to save some time. Pretty long harness that snakes it way through the frame, etc so looking for any short cuts, etc. Already have all front side panels off, just trying to avoid pulling the frunk, etc if not necessary. Popped the gauge cluster out, but very hard to follow the harness through the frame, even with the side panels off.

All suggestions appreciated!! Thanks!!!
    On my RT I remove the bar covers and then unbolt it from the bars,the plug is under the covers.

Not sure if that helps you any

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Could not find the Lamonster video you referenced or info under the instructions.brp.com pages. Several different shop manuals on the internet for download and/or cd. Any suggestions on which ones to use. Have found over the years that not all shop manuals are the same or as complete.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    On my RT I remove the bar covers and then unbolt it from the bars,the plug is under the covers.

Not sure if that helps you any
    On my GS, the harness goes way down below through the frame, so I can not see the plug. Would be much simpler if up high like the one you are describing. Thanks