Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Federal tires

  1. #1
    Active Member rays hell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hiram Ga.
    Posts
    236

    Default Federal tires

    Is anyone running Federal tires on the rear, and what size are you running?
    .
    Monique,
    2016 F3t pearl white
    Ultimate driver back rest
    12v power outlet for batt. tender
    Doc Humphries' vibration damper
    factory floorboards
    added topcase

  2. #2
    Active Member robtdonna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Ellijay, Georgia, United States
    Posts
    344

    Default

    You burned through the rear already ???

    Quote Originally Posted by rays hell View Post
    Is anyone running Federal tires on the rear, and what size are you running?
    Current: "Scarlett", 2017 Can Am  F3-T, SE6, Intense Red Pearl.
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard.


    Previous: "Synthia", 2014 Can Am Spyder RT, SM6, Pearl White

  3. #3
    Active Member rays hell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hiram Ga.
    Posts
    236

    Default Tire

    Just about, It's a Kehnda with 7600 miles on it.
    The rally and vacation next month and it will need replacing for sure.
    .
    Monique,
    2016 F3t pearl white
    Ultimate driver back rest
    12v power outlet for batt. tender
    Doc Humphries' vibration damper
    factory floorboards
    added topcase

  4. #4
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    VERMONT
    Posts
    9,775

    Default FEDERAL TIRES

    Quote Originally Posted by rays hell View Post
    Just about, It's a Kehnda with 7600 miles on it.
    The rally and vacation next month and it will need replacing for sure.
    I did back in 2010 ..... I wasn't impressed with Wear or Traction ........... There are currently some excellent tires now ...... Mike

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    20

    Default Rear Tire Options

    I have a 2016 RT Limited, 7500 miles and the rear tire life is gone. Any Good tires out there.

  6. #6
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    VERMONT
    Posts
    9,775

    Default THESE ARE EXCELENT

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    I have a 2016 RT Limited, 7500 miles and the rear tire life is gone. Any Good tires out there.
    General Altimax RT43 ( the T speed rated model is the better of the three sold ) and the Michelien Premier ...both in 215/60-15 ......... I am going to test the Pirelli P4 Four Seasons PLUS , when I change tires this winter , I think it may be better than both of the above ............. Mike

  7. #7
    Active Member hypurone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    NorCal - Northbay
    Posts
    331

    Default

    I haven't seen a Federal rear in a 225/50 or 215/60. I am running the Kuhmo AST (225/-50-15, it has the H speed rating like the Kenda) and am happy with it. I would have preferred to find a V rated option for better traction but couldn't source one. When cold it spins up just as easy as the Kenda did, but once warm, traction is much better. Even when it is spinning, I get more forward motion than the Kenda gave when it was spinning....
    '15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '10 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS A6 SC - The Beast

    "You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

    Chuck

  8. #8
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    VERMONT
    Posts
    9,775

    Default WELLLLLLL NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT

    Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    I haven't seen a Federal rear in a 225/50 or 215/60. I am running the Kuhmo AST (225/-50-15, it has the H speed rating like the Kenda) and am happy with it. I would have preferred to find a V rated option for better traction but couldn't source one. When cold it spins up just as easy as the Kenda did, but once warm, traction is much better. Even when it is spinning, I get more forward motion than the Kenda gave when it was spinning....
    The Altimax also has " V " rated model , but it's actually not rated as high as the " T " rated one ..... jmho .... Mike

  9. #9
    Active Member hypurone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    NorCal - Northbay
    Posts
    331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    The Altimax also has " V " rated model , but it's actually not rated as high as the " T " rated one ..... jmho .... Mike
    you must be referring to the treadwear rating? Cuz a V rated tire is built for higher speeds than a T rating ( 118 for a T and 150 for a V). I know the speed is a non issue with our machines but the compounds used in higher speed rated tires give better grip. ...
    '15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '10 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS A6 SC - The Beast

    "You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

    Chuck

  10. #10
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    VERMONT
    Posts
    9,775

    Default GRIP /TRACTION

    Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    you must be referring to the treadwear rating? Cuz a V rated tire is built for higher speeds than a T rating ( 118 for a T and 150 for a V). I know the speed is a non issue with our machines but the compounds used in higher speed rated tires give better grip. ...
    No I wasn't ........ I agree V is higher than T........ But - Higher speed rating has NOTHING to do with traction / grip ....... of course you may have a different understanding about Tires, but qualifications are based on Schooling & training for over 25 years. If your info is based on what tire Salesman, / women are telling you , my experience with them is 95% are clueless about the product they are selling ........... Mike

  11. #11
    Active Member hypurone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    NorCal - Northbay
    Posts
    331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    No I wasn't ........ I agree V is higher than T........ But - Higher speed rating has NOTHING to do with traction / grip ....... of course you may have a different understanding about Tires, but qualifications are based on Schooling & training for over 25 years. If your info is based on what tire Salesman, / women are telling you , my experience with them is 95% are clueless about the product they are selling ........... Mike
    Was in the business for 20+ years myself. Think about it, when was the last time you saw a T rated tire on any vehicle that has any type of elevated handling capabilities? You haven't. There is more to a speed rating than just the ability to withstand deformation and the heat generated at speed. Mfg'ers know that with the demands put on higher speed rated tires comes the necessity for increased traction.... This is why higher speed rated tires usually carry a lower treadwear rating. Their compounds are grippier for increased traction.
    '15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '10 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS A6 SC - The Beast

    "You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

    Chuck

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •