Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal tires

Spyder Garage

Default Federal tires

Is anyone running Federal tires on the rear, and what size are you running?
    Monique,
    2016 F3t pearl white
    Ultimate driver back rest
    12v power outlet for batt. tender
    Doc Humphries' vibration damper
    factory floorboards
    added topcase

Spyder Garage

You burned through the rear already ???

Quote Originally Posted by rays hell View Post
    Is anyone running Federal tires on the rear, and what size are you running?
    Current: "Scarlett", 2017 Can Am F3-T, SE6, Intense Red Pearl.
    BRP heated grips, DIY brake light strip and turn signal strips, Chrome/LED brake light tag frame, SpyderPops bumpskid, Baja Ron swaybar and billet links, Lamonster Third Peg, BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest, SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard, ShowChrome oversize brake pedal, TricLED foglights.

Previous: "Synthia", 2014 Can Am Spyder RT, SM6, Pearl White.

Spyder Garage

Default Tire

Just about, It's a Kehnda with 7600 miles on it.
    The rally and vacation next month and it will need replacing for sure.
    Monique,
    2016 F3t pearl white
    Ultimate driver back rest
    12v power outlet for batt. tender
    Doc Humphries' vibration damper
    factory floorboards
    added topcase

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default FEDERAL TIRES

Quote Originally Posted by rays hell View Post
    Just about, It's a Kehnda with 7600 miles on it.
    The rally and vacation next month and it will need replacing for sure.
    I did back in 2010 ..... I wasn't impressed with Wear or Traction ........... There are currently some excellent tires now ...... Mike

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Rear Tire Options

I have a 2016 RT Limited, 7500 miles and the rear tire life is gone. Any Good tires out there.
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Default THESE ARE EXCELENT

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    I have a 2016 RT Limited, 7500 miles and the rear tire life is gone. Any Good tires out there.
    General Altimax RT43 ( the T speed rated model is the better of the three sold ) and the Michelien Premier ...both in 215/60-15 ......... I am going to test the Pirelli P4 Four Seasons PLUS , when I change tires this winter , I think it may be better than both of the above ............. Mike

Spyder Garage

I haven't seen a Federal rear in a 225/50 or 215/60. I am running the Kuhmo AST (225/-50-15, it has the H speed rating like the Kenda) and am happy with it. I would have preferred to find a V rated option for better traction but couldn't source one. When cold it spins up just as easy as the Kenda did, but once warm, traction is much better. Even when it is spinning, I get more forward motion than the Kenda gave when it was spinning....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLL NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    I haven't seen a Federal rear in a 225/50 or 215/60. I am running the Kuhmo AST (225/-50-15, it has the H speed rating like the Kenda) and am happy with it. I would have preferred to find a V rated option for better traction but couldn't source one. When cold it spins up just as easy as the Kenda did, but once warm, traction is much better. Even when it is spinning, I get more forward motion than the Kenda gave when it was spinning....
    The Altimax also has " V " rated model , but it's actually not rated as high as the " T " rated one ..... jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    The Altimax also has " V " rated model , but it's actually not rated as high as the " T " rated one ..... jmho .... Mike
    you must be referring to the treadwear rating? Cuz a V rated tire is built for higher speeds than a T rating ( 118 for a T and 150 for a V). I know the speed is a non issue with our machines but the compounds used in higher speed rated tires give better grip. ...

Chuck

Spyder Garage

Default GRIP /TRACTION

you must be referring to the treadwear rating? Cuz a V rated tire is built for higher speeds than a T rating ( 118 for a T and 150 for a V). I know the speed is a non issue with our machines but the compounds used in higher speed rated tires give better grip. ...
    No I wasn't ........ I agree V is higher than T........ But - Higher speed rating has NOTHING to do with traction / grip ....... of course you may have a different understanding about Tires, but qualifications are based on Schooling & training for over 25 years. If your info is based on what tire Salesman, / women are telling you , my experience with them is 95% are clueless about the product they are selling ........... Mike

Spyder Garage

No I wasn't ........ I agree V is higher than T........ But - Higher speed rating has NOTHING to do with traction / grip ....... of course you may have a different understanding about Tires, but qualifications are based on Schooling & training for over 25 years. If your info is based on what tire Salesman, / women are telling you , my experience with them is 95% are clueless about the product they are selling ........... Mike
    Was in the business for 20+ years myself. Think about it, when was the last time you saw a T rated tire on any vehicle that has any type of elevated handling capabilities? You haven't. There is more to a speed rating than just the ability to withstand deformation and the heat generated at speed. Mfg'ers know that with the demands put on higher speed rated tires comes the necessity for increased traction.... This is why higher speed rated tires usually carry a lower treadwear rating. Their compounds are grippier for increased traction.

Chuck

Spyder Garage

Default tire

i have just bought a rear federal formoza 225/55r15. installing this week on my 2014 rts

Spyder Garage

Default 225/55r15

Quote Originally Posted by krafael5 View Post
    i have just bought a rear federal formoza 225/55r15. installing this week on my 2014 rts
    I had not heard of a Federal Formoza in this size ..... I went to their Official website and couldn't find it there either ..... so what Federal Formoza do you have ???? ....... Thanks ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Formoza 225/55r15

I too did not see it on their site but found it on other tire dealers sites as: FEDERAL FORMOZA FD2 P225/55ZR-17
    Service Description: 101 W
    UTQG: 420AA
    Sidewall: BW
    Load Range: B (4 Ply)
    Type: Passenger Performance
    " 17 " inch ...........this won't fit my Spyder ...........Mike

Spyder Garage

" 17 " inch ...........this won't fit my Spyder ...........Mike
    DOH! The link said 225/55ZR15 and I didn't even notice when I copied and pasted!

Chuck

Spyder Garage

Many of us ride the Yokahama S-Drive 205/55/15 with excellent result. Traction has always been excellent. I have about 8,000 miles and may see another 8,000 before a change is needed. i’ve heard the size is very close to the originals.
    2016 F3L , Big Bike Parts Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

DOH! The link said 225/55ZR15 and I didn't even notice when I copied and pasted!

That’s an easy mistake to make. Seems when you search on a specific tire size they will bring up just about any size tire.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default ALTIMAX RATING

Not Treadware - I was referring to it's overall Performance rating ....... Mike

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

ordered my vredstein, i should have them today

Spyder Garage

Is it hard to find our tire size is that why people run a different size? I've got a 13'RTS and I'm getting close to needing a new rear. Thanks

Spyder Garage

Default REAR TIRE

Quote Originally Posted by 2013REDRTS View Post
    Is it hard to find our tire size is that why people run a different size? I've got a 13'RTS and I'm getting close to needing a new rear. Thanks
    The main reason people are using the 215/60-15 in. size is because there are very few 225/50-15 tires to choose from. And this size will make your speedo almost perfect on the speed reading ( OEM size reads more than you really going ) if you get a General Altimax RT43 in 215/60-15 you will be very, very happy with the way it performs ....especially if you only put 17 or 18 psi in it .... It's a strong Auto tire and doesn't need higher air pressure to work correctly ........... Unless you have already done a rear tire swap your-self, I would make sure your Dealer will swap an Auto tire ........some re-fuse .....good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Question Question

The main reason people are using the 215/60-15 in. size is because there are very few 225/50-15 tires to choose from. And this size will make your speedo almost perfect on the speed reading ( OEM size reads more than you really going ) if you get a General Altimax RT43 in 215/60-15 you will be very, very happy with the way it performs ....especially if you only put 17 or 18 psi in it .... It's a strong Auto tire and doesn't need higher air pressure to work correctly ........... Unless you have already done a rear tire swap your-self, I would make sure your Dealer will swap an Auto tire ........some re-fuse .....good luck .... Mike
    I have been looking at rear tires all winter. In comparing the tire sizes on a web site the 225/60R/15 was listed as being over 7.75% bigger in diameter than the 225/50R/50. That site recommended not going over 5% larger in diameter over the tire size that came on the vehicle. What is your take on this suggestion?

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Burped View Post
    I have been looking at rear tires all winter. In comparing the tire sizes on a web site the 225/60R/15 was listed as being over 7.75% bigger in diameter than the 225/50R/50. That site recommended not going over 5% larger in diameter over the tire size that came on the vehicle. What is your take on this suggestion?
    If you're going to go with a xxx-60/R15 tire go with the 215-60/R15. There's no good reason to go larger diameter than that. The 215 fits good. As far as width there's no problem going one size narrower or wider than OEM. You really don't want to go 2 or more size over or under.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default REAR TIRE

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Burped View Post
    Well I wouldn't consider the 225/60r-15 size at all ..... The swing arm on every Spyder that I know of ....is very close to the tire using a 225/50-15 or a 215/60-15...... So if you go taller AND wider than that , I think you are asking for trouble ..... And I don't just think out-of-the-box ....I LIVE out there ...... But while I try things because I think they will work .... I keep in mind .....What is the benefit of this change or modification ..... The footprint you will attain using the 225/60-15 ( it will be an increase ) is so small ....the word " infitismal " comes to mind...... As I commented in another Thread about increasing tire sizes .... The Spyder is NOT a Hayabusa, which is a Mtc. that could more than likely actually benefit from a bit more traction if used at the Drag Track ....... I gave you one of the best tires our Spyders will benefit from ..... There is only one other person on this Forum ( that I know of ) who is as qualified as myself to give expert advice on using tires on our Spyders and that is Peter Aawen. Not boasting or BS-ing on this...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Question Why change sizes?

Well I wouldn't consider the 225/60r-15 size at all ..... The swing arm on every Spyder that I know of ....is very close to the tire using a 225/50-15 or a 215/60-15...... So if you go taller AND wider than that , I think you are asking for trouble ..... And I don't just think out-of-the-box ....I LIVE out there ...... But while I try things because I think they will work .... I keep in mind .....What is the benefit of this change or modification ..... The footprint you will attain using the 225/60-15 ( it will be an increase ) is so small ....the word " infitismal " comes to mind...... As I commented in another Thread about increasing tire sizes .... The Spyder is NOT a Hayabusa, which is a Mtc. that could more than likely actually benefit from a bit more traction if used at the Drag Track ....... I gave you one of the best tires our Spyders will benefit from ..... There is only one other person on this Forum ( that I know of ) who is as qualified as myself to give expert advice on using tires on our Spyders and that is Peter Aawen. Not boasting or BS-ing on this...... Mike
    Why do people change away from the factory size of 225/50/15? Is it to keep the same brand on the front and back? What difference will it make to go to a taller tire like the 225/60/15. The tire width is the same 8.9" but the sidewall is almost 1" taller. Also, the speedometer would be about 5 MPH slow that you would actually be doing at 70 MPH indicated. Is there something that would be too close and rub? I have the automatic ride height shocks so I guess I could always raise the ride height if absolutely necessary.