Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tires

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Tires

I am starting to shop for tires for my 2015 Can Am Spyder RT. I am thinking of going to car tires but do not know what is best for the Spyder. After looking on the internet I really got confused. There is so much different priced tires. This will probably start a big conversation but I do need some help.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

We have you mostly covered. Go to the search engine and type in "Tires," you will be pleasantly surprised.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    We have you mostly covered. Go to the search engine and type in "Tires," you will be pleasantly surprised.
    Or scared to death!
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    Or scared to death!
    After having read several of the tire discussions on the forum, I've pretty much decided on Schwinn bicycle tires for the fronts, and a Mickey Thompson N-50 Drag Racing tire for the rear. I'll be stylin....

Spyder Garage

Default Oh no you.. didn't...😲

there is no end to tire information here but as to giving you a clear path to take or tire to choose.....your on your own. Take the information, reviews and opinions and decide....good luck.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Tires

Quote Originally Posted by HankD View Post
    After having read several of the tire discussions on the forum, I've pretty much decided on Schwinn bicycle tires for the fronts, and a Mickey Thompson N-50 Drag Racing tire for the rear. I'll be stylin....
    Sorry I came on here I do my own.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    There are many options for the rear in 215/60/15. I have experience with this size on an RT and it works well. There are Federal EVO's or Formosa's available online for the front in the stock size. Good luck on your hunt
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

That was ll sort of tongue in cheek.
    There is a ton of GREAT information on tires on here with several brands and sizes that will work on your spyder listed.
    There is information explaining all of the info on the side of the tire and the most important part of that information is when was the tire manufactured.
    Then you will find several discussions on tire pressures and some of them can get rather heated at times.
    I will tell you this, the factory or stock tires on your spyder will require a lot more air pressure to keep them safe than a car tire will. The reason being is the sidewall of the stock tire is only 2 ply and therefor very soft requiring a lot more air pressure to keep the spider riding on it as it should. The car tire is normally about a 4 ply sidewall allowing you to run less air pressure to keep the spyder riding the way it should.
    I followed Bluenight, Igetaround, and Peter Aawen sugestion of 18 PSI in the rear and 15 PSI in the front with the car tires I have. Spyder handles great and the wet traction is awesome.
    I did have to run a little more pressure when riding two up, fully loaded, towing a fully loaded trailer just to stay in the 4 PSI rule. If you are unfamiliar with that rule, it basically is that check your tire pressure cold, ride for about 30 min for the tire to warm up, if the pressure increases more than 4 PSI over what it was cold, you should add more air to it. The bigger increase in tire pressure over the 4 PSI means your tire is creating too much heat because of being too low on pressure.

Hope this helps.

Spyder Garage

2015 RT with Federal Formosa on front and General Altimax on rear, all in stock sizes. 18 PSI in fronts and 20 PSI in rear. I have almost 7000 miles on this combination, mostly two up and loaded. Works great wet or dry.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I tried a Falken ZE912...
    It was great when it was new, bur got downright scary, once it wore down.
    So I went to Kumho Ecsta AST for the rear.
    I always stuck with the OEM sizing: why rock the boat?
    It was a VAST improvement over the Kenda, and I felt no loss of traction as it wore down.
    Everyone will tell you that their choice is the best: I'm just saying that the Kumho is worth some consideration.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Friendly advice.

Putting car tires on any lighter weight vehicle will cause your braking distance to increase. (see all tire manufactures for more)
    Putting car tires on a motorcycle is illegal and voids your inspection. (see both Federal and State DOT websites for more)
    Putting car tires on a motorcycle will/might void your liability coverage in an accident. (visit or call your insurance company for more)

These are a few of the thrills you will encounter if an investigation ensues because of an accident.
    Motorcycle accidents are very expensive because of the injuries sustained in them. (VERY EXPENSIVE!)

So if you want a few extra miles out of the tire tread you might want to rethink that initial savings.

More friendly and fun advice.......
    1. If you are going to call or visit your insurance company I suggest you do it anonymously, they keep track of stupid things customers do for future claims denials. I know, I used to do those investigations.
    2. If you still want to put car tires on an MC don't post your stupidity online for an investigator to find. (they love admission!)

Spyder Garage

just put general altima back
    federal evo front. Seem to work good so far

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    Friendly advice.

Putting car tires on any lighter weight vehicle will cause your braking distance to increase. (see all tire manufactures for more)
    Putting car tires on a motorcycle is illegal and voids your inspection. (see both Federal and State DOT websites for more)
    Putting car tires on a motorcycle will/might void your liability coverage in an accident. (visit or call your insurance company for more)

These are a few of the thrills you will encounter if an investigation ensues because of an accident.
    Motorcycle accidents are very expensive because of the injuries sustained in them. (VERY EXPENSIVE!)

So if you want a few extra miles out of the tire tread you might want to rethink that initial savings.

More friendly and fun advice.......
    1. If you are going to call or visit your insurance company I suggest you do it anonymously, they keep track of stupid things customers do for future claims denials. I know, I used to do those investigations.
    2. If you still want to put car tires on an MC don't post your stupidity online for an investigator to find. (they love admission!)
    One thing you are not taking into this whole reply.
    A Spyder is not called a motorcycle by BRP, it is a
    Raodster and in several states it is not considered a motorcycle and a cycle endorsement is not needed. Never heard of one failing inspection yet because of car tires.

Next, as stated in this quote, May 20, 2016 - The Motorcycle Industry Council puts it more directly, “Never mount a passenger car tire on a motorcycle rim; the flat profile of a car tire is incompatible with the dynamics of a vehicle that leans as it corners".

A Spyder does not lean in the corners, (just in case you haven't noticed that yet) so the argument has NO validity.

I will bet that I can stop quicker with my car tires than you can with your stock motorcycle tires. It's all about traction or how hard they hold the road. I could spin my stock tire at will and struggle to break lose the altimax I have on there now.

Last, the stock tire wore out in the middle only extremely quick with the recommended tire pressure in it. That tells me that very little of the tire was in contact with the road giving traction at highway speeds, and if I had a hard brakeing situation the load transfer to the front would reduce the amount of contact and traction that tire provided significantly.

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Federal Formosa AZO1 but move up to the 175 55R15 on the front it is incredible!

Joe
    Last edited by Buckeye Bleau; 08-31-2017 at 09:09 PM.
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That was ll sort of tongue in cheek.
    There is a ton of GREAT information on tires on here with several brands and sizes that will work on your spyder listed.
    There is information explaining all of the info on the side of the tire and the most important part of that information is when was the tire manufactured.
    Then you will find several discussions on tire pressures and some of them can get rather heated at times.
    I will tell you this, the factory or stock tires on your spyder will require a lot more air pressure to keep them safe than a car tire will. The reason being is the sidewall of the stock tire is only 2 ply and therefor very soft requiring a lot more air pressure to keep the spider riding on it as it should. The car tire is normally about a 4 ply sidewall allowing you to run less air pressure to keep the spyder riding the way it should.
    I followed Bluenight, Igetaround, and Peter Aawen sugestion of 18 PSI in the rear and 15 PSI in the front with the car tires I have. Spyder handles great and the wet traction is awesome.
    I did have to run a little more pressure when riding two up, fully loaded, towing a fully loaded trailer just to stay in the 4 PSI rule. If you are unfamiliar with that rule, it basically is that check your tire pressure cold, ride for about 30 min for the tire to warm up, if the pressure increases more than 4 PSI over what it was cold, you should add more air to it. The bigger increase in tire pressure over the 4 PSI means your tire is creating too much heat because of being too low on pressure.

Hope this helps.
    This is the reason I posted on this website. I knew there would be smart remarks but this is what I was looking for. I have been riding motorcycles for 62 years and have had many brands but this Spyder is totally different. I have had it for 7 weeks and have put 3,000 miles on it. So far I love the thing. It is a 2015 and had 10,000 miles on it. The tires have the 13,000 miles on them and look good but not to far from the ware bars. The person that had it never rode it very hard or fast I think it will run 15,000 on the tires. It has Arachnid tires on it.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

This is the reason I posted on this website. I knew there would be smart remarks but this is what I was looking for. I have been riding motorcycles for 62 years and have had many brands but this Spyder is totally different. I have had it for 7 weeks and have put 3,000 miles on it. So far I love the thing. It is a 2015 and had 10,000 miles on it. The tires have the 13,000 miles on them and look good but not to far from the ware bars. The person that had it never rode it very hard or fast I think it will run 15,000 on the tires. It has Arachnid tires on it.
    Be aware that those tires you now have on there are not the stock tires. They were changed before you got it. The stock tires are Kenda. Tells you how fast they wore out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Be aware that those tires you now have on there are not the stock tires. They were changed before you got it. The stock tires are Kenda. Tells you how fast they wore out.
    I sure did not know that. I just check and the front tires are Kenda. That is why I am getting more miles on my rear tire than most. So I don't know how many miles is on the rear tire. The Spyder has 13,000 on it and the rear looks good. It is not near the wear bars. I have just been worrying about the tire. Rear has Arachnid and front has Kenda. Are Arachnid good tires for the Spyder?
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I sure did not know that. I just check and the front tires are Kenda. That is why I am getting more miles on my rear tire than most. So I don't know how many miles is on the rear tire. The Spyder has 13,000 on it and the rear looks good. It is not near the wear bars. I have just been worrying about the tire. Rear has Arachnid and front has Kenda. Are Arachnid good tires for the Spyder?
    No, the Arachnid's are crap tires just like the Kenda. I have run 3 of them, two of which were given to me for free, on my 14 RT and they were all crap. I got less mileage out of them than on a Kenda. Go to car tires. Only you can decide which one you purchase and we all have our own opinions. I currently run the Federal Formoza in the stock size on the front and a General Altimax RT 43 on the rear. I have run this combo several times (I have 122,000 miles on my 14) and I like it. Great handling wet or dry.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I've always had good results with the stock Kenda tires up front. 20K to 25K miles.
    The stock rear is awful. I went with a Kumho.

Just my opinion. I could be wrong, and I'm sure somebody on this site will tell me about it.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    No, the Arachnid's are crap tires just like the Kenda. I have run 3 of them, two of which were given to me for free, on my 14 RT and they were all crap. I got less mileage out of them than on a Kenda. Go to car tires. Only you can decide which one you purchase and we all have our own opinions. I currently run the Federal Formoza in the stock size on the front and a General Altimax RT 43 on the rear. I have run this combo several times (I have 122,000 miles on my 14) and I like it. Great handling wet or dry.
    Same combination I have and I love it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

One thing you are not taking into this whole reply.
    A Spyder is not called a motorcycle by BRP, it is a
    Raodster and in several states it is not considered a motorcycle and a cycle endorsement is not needed. Never heard of one failing inspection yet because of car tires.

Next, as stated in this quote, May 20, 2016 - The Motorcycle Industry Council puts it more directly, “Never mount a passenger car tire on a motorcycle rim; the flat profile of a car tire is incompatible with the dynamics of a vehicle that leans as it corners".

A Spyder does not lean in the corners, (just in case you haven't noticed that yet) so the argument has NO validity.

I will bet that I can stop quicker with my car tires than you can with your stock motorcycle tires. It's all about traction or how hard they hold the road. I could spin my stock tire at will and struggle to break lose the altimax I have on there now.

Last, the stock tire wore out in the middle only extremely quick with the recommended tire pressure in it. That tells me that very little of the tire was in contact with the road giving traction at highway speeds, and if I had a hard brakeing situation the load transfer to the front would reduce the amount of contact and traction that tire provided significantly.
    My dealer will not install a car tire on a Spyder without the owner signing a waver....so the dealer will not be sued if an accident happens.
    The reason tire manufacturers or dealers will "mostly" not sell a car tire for the Spyder is because the weight rating is wayyyyyy off.
    The reason the stock tires wear as you say is because they are designed for lighter weight vehicles and as such have softer tread.
    Just because the Spyder does not lean does not mean you can put anything you want on it and expect the same performance.
    Dealers "might" pass you for an inspection is money. You have it and they want it and people vote with their feet.
    I think 13,000 trouble free miles with extra tread left makes my stock rear tire ok in my book.
    I think my front tires with over 14,000 trouble free miles makes them ok in my book as well.
    I feel like I'm discussing a non-existent problem.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My dealer would only install Kendas. The rear for $360. I could not find a local tire dealer who would mount car tires on my rims. I know that I could have driven miles away and found someone who would have done it. Shouldn't be that hard.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am starting to shop for tires for my 2015 Can Am Spyder RT. I am thinking of going to car tires but do not know what is best for the Spyder. After looking on the internet I really got confused. There is so much different priced tires. This will probably start a big conversation but I do need some help.
    Congratulations on having the foresight to research tires before you need them. And, understanding that what comes with a vehicle from the factory isn't always the best choice when it's replacement time.

I'm not sure if researching threads with 'tire' in them is going to be very productive; there are literally hundreds of them. And, having done that search myself, I think too many responses are opinion-based rather than fact-based or experience-based. I tend to lean toward the opinion of people like SpyderAnn, who have been on this forum for years, have many miles of real experience under their belt, and try to be objective and factual with their responses.

Happy hunting. I hope this thread turns out to be more productive and on-topic than a lot of them have been.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Time to change the rear tire

Just as everyone has their own expectations for tire longevity and performance, there are many choices of tires in the marketplace. Too bad that the Spyder has only one choice across the broad spectrum of Can Ams from the lighter F3s to the heavier often loaded RT's. If you have 13,000 miles on your rear Kenda Road-Kil you did good, but it is time to get it replaced as I haven't seen a pic of much tread on them at that mileage. I just changed the rear on the wifes 16F3T at 13,880 and one side was bald (wish I took a pic) and the otherside was down to the wear bars.

I do think that Kenda is beefing up their tires as I remember 10,000 used to be good. I also think that the fronts run long enough as long as you don't have any belt issues and have been getting 26-30,000 out of the last two sets. Oh well just my two cents.. to each their own.
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    My dealer will not install a car tire on a Spyder without the owner signing a waver....so the dealer will not be sued if an accident happens.
    The reason tire manufacturers or dealers will "mostly" not sell a car tire for the Spyder is because the weight rating is wayyyyyy off.
    The reason the stock tires wear as you say is because they are designed for lighter weight vehicles and as such have softer tread.
    Just because the Spyder does not lean does not mean you can put anything you want on it and expect the same performance.
    Dealers "might" pass you for an inspection is money. You have it and they want it and people vote with their feet.
    I think 13,000 trouble free miles with extra tread left makes my stock rear tire ok in my book.
    I think my front tires with over 14,000 trouble free miles makes them ok in my book as well.
    I feel like I'm discussing a non-existent problem.
    On all that I have ever learned or read I have yet to find a minimum load rating on a tire. I find air pressures for loads, I find max load per air pressure, but nothing on minimum loads.
    Looks to me like every tire talks about MAX load and never minimum load. If minimum load was that critical it would also be mentioned and published by every tie manufacture on every tie made.
    Spyderann has we'll over 100,000 miles on her spyder and people on here have ridden hundreds of thousands of miles, most of them are on car ties that are and will perform great if the tire pressure is adjusted accordingly.
    So yes you are banging your head against a wall. I don't think you will get us to listen.