Spyder Garage

Default Popping & misfiring normal?

When I am working down through the gears, or just slowing down, I get lots of popping, banging and misfires once I shut the throttle off, is this normal?
    Last edited by Black Pig; 09-11-2017 at 09:23 AM. Reason: sit shpelling

Spyder Garage

Didn't know what model you had until I checked profile. Are we talking about a 2008 GS? No, popping & misfire is not normal. This could be an indication of a lot of things, like bad gas, vacuum tubes at throttle bodies, bad spark plugs and the list goes on. Did you do anything to the bike before it started popping and misfiring? We probably need more information to give you a more detailed answer to your problem.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Oops sorry, no the GS runs a treat. It's this new F3 I have bought that does it. More pronounced now I have a two brothers exhaust system on it..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you have replaced the exhaust you might need an ECU change. You may need to remap your fuel mixture. Power Commander might solve the issue.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pig View Post
    Oops sorry, no the GS runs a treat. It's this new F3 I have bought that does it. More pronounced now I have a two brothers exhaust system on it..
    You answered your own question. It is the 2 Bros exhaust. You'll probably have to richen up the mixture to get it to go away.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 09-11-2017 at 01:43 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Also if you have a cat delete along with a two brothers exhaust, a fuel map through Power Commander will help things.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

It was doing it before the TB exhaust was fitted, it has been doing it since new. It's just much louder now

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I am working down through the gears, or just slowing down, I get lots of popping, banging and misfires once I shut the throttle off, is this normal?
    Yes. IF you have messed with the exhaust system so that it makes more noise.
    Noise is noise. Get used to it.

Otherwise, no absolutely not.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Yes. IF you have messed with the exhaust system so that it makes more noise.
    Noise is noise. Get used to it.

Otherwise, no absolutely not.
    It did it from new with the stock can, is this normal? Sounds a bit like a rally car engine braking

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    Also if you have a cat delete along with a two brothers exhaust, a fuel map through Power Commander will help things.
    I just went to the Power Commander website and they do not list Cam AM, any suggestions?
    2015 RTS
    Replaced Catalytic Converter with Lamonster Pipe

Rivco Flag Holders
    Tricled wideview mirrors
    Garage door opener
    Zumo GPS
    Ultimate seat
    F4 windshield with vent
    Doc's belt damper
    Value Accessories RAM mount
    Baja Ron sway bar and Links

Spyder Garage

Yes, I would say it's normal on any F3 or F3s I've driven. I wouldn't call it banging or misfires, just popping on deceleration. I think it sounds good! I'm sure the Two Brothers greatly enhanced it.
    2020 RT Limited
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

It did it from new with the stock can, is this normal? Sounds a bit like a rally car engine braking
    You may have been running lean on 1 or more cylinders from the factory. Each cylinder has its own injector. You may want to get that checked. Or, you may have had an exhaust leak early on. That can also add to the decel popping. But whatever it was (is) the 2 Bros exhaust will certainly exacerbate it, as mentioned above.

Other than blowing the guts out of your muffler, running too lean can create other problems as well.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

It was doing it before the TB exhaust was fitted, it has been doing it since new. It's just much louder now
    My F3T sot of burbles and pops on deceleration, as does my RT. The F3T is a bit louder, but they both do it. All modern engines run on the lean side to maximize fuel economy and since bike exhaust is closer to you, and a bit louder, it's noticeable.

Neil
    2020 Harley Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2017 F3-T SE6 White / BRP Backrest / Nuvi 58 LM / Polaris Spring Spacers / CALSCI 22" Shield
    2016 RTE6 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default p c

power commander v

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't know; I don't have your model.

I DID test ride my RT with a "performance" muffler on it and noticed none of that.

You REALLY should have addressed this BEFORE you made any modifications.

The dealer might ask that you put it back stock before they will look at it.

Spyder Garage

It is not normal. Backfiring in exhaust is 95% of the time an exhaust leak. In which fish air is pulled in under vacuum.
    The other 5% of the time is tuning. A loud pop is lean at closed throttle position. Several small pops are rich from left over fuel and would be rich at the throttle position you just backed out of.

However, in your case, its not tuning. You can wrongly throw more fuel at it with a power commander to kill any chance of ignition. But its better to fix cause not the effect. You do not need fuel tuning. You need to find you leak. At all joints and gaskets at heads. Using a piece of 3/4-1 inch hose with 1 end at your ear and other end to probe around a running engine will find it easy enough.

Since your exhaust was probably put on for a performance gain rather than noise, we can remap your ecu to both change fuel and put down maximum power.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyd_Piper View Post
    It is not normal. Backfiring in exhaust is 95% of the time an exhaust leak. In which fish air is pulled in under vacuum.
    The other 5% of the time is tuning. A loud pop is lean at closed throttle position. Several small pops are rich from left over fuel and would be rich at the throttle position you just backed out of.

However, in your case, its not tuning. You can wrongly throw more fuel at it with a power commander to kill any chance of ignition. But its better to fix cause not the effect. You do not need fuel tuning. You need to find you leak. At all joints and gaskets at heads. Using a piece of 3/4-1 inch hose with 1 end at your ear and other end to probe around a running engine will find it easy enough.

Since your exhaust was probably put on for a performance gain rather than noise, we can remap your ecu to both change fuel and put down maximum power.
    Okay, thanks for that. There is the answer to my question, it sounds like it is overfuelling. I very much doubt that both the original and the replacement exhaust both leak, the bike is only 3 months old and it has been doing it since day 1 with the original exhaust.

Can any bike dealer adjust this for me or do I need to go to the AD, the AD is 250 miles away!

Spyder Garage

Okay, thanks for that. There is the answer to my question, it sounds like it is overfuelling. I very much doubt that both the original and the replacement exhaust both leak, the bike is only 3 months old and it has been doing it since day 1 with the original exhaust.

Can any bike dealer adjust this for me or do I need to go to the AD, the AD is 250 miles away!
    That actually says that it is more of a leak. Right from day 1. Either at the head or a joint . Both places are up from where you put the exhaust on.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

NOBODY can "adjust" it for you. With computer controlled systems, there is NO adjustment.
    That is why people have been talking about an add-on fuel processor.

You REALLY should have checked this with a dealer BEFORE you started changing stuff.

There may be a defect somewhere ........but from the comments here so far, probably not.
    And the only "fix" probably is to sink even more money into another mod to fix the first mod.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    NOBODY can "adjust" it for you. With computer controlled systems, there is NO adjustment.
    That is why people have been talking about an add-on fuel processor.

You REALLY should have checked this with a dealer BEFORE you started changing stuff.

There may be a defect somewhere ........but from the comments here so far, probably not.
    And the only "fix" probably is to sink even more money into another mod to fix the first mod.
    Well if the dealer was less than 4.5 hours away I would have been there, I have spoken to him and he assures me this is normal (with the original can) - Hmmmmm.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have spoken to him and he assures me this is normal (with the original can) - Hmmmmm.
    Several owners have assured you of the same thing.
    Now you have some choices to make.

Spyder Garage

Many new motorcycle have popping and snapping noises under deceleration. This is normal because of the extremely lean fuel maps that are required by the enviro crowd. Once you change the exhaust it increases the lean running of the bike, plus the louder exhaust highlights this condition just because the exhaust pipe is louder.

The Spyder has a two stage exhaust system. The catalytic converter is also a noise silencer/suppressor, the pipe at the end is the second stage of the sound deadening of the system. If there is a leak at the joint between where the 2 bros connects with the exhaust pipe, that will also cause additions noises. Annoying, but not dangerous to the health of the bike.

The fueling system of the bike will compensate for the change in the pipe within certain limitations, but a PC V or other fueling devices will override the factory computer settings and set the fueling to whatever you program into it.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Aha.. Thanks for that.