Spyder Garage

Default VSS warning light

We just got back from a 1500 mile trip exploring the twisty roads of Colorado on our 2014 RTS. In 41,000 miles, the bike has never caused us any grief. I always do all services on the bike myself, thereby learning every swear word in the Canadian language.

Yesterday I installed an Ultimate Seat and Lamonsters "Magic Mirrors" (http://www.lamonstergarage.com/magic...oved-set-of-6/ ). If you do your own work, as I do, you will quickly appreciate these magnetic marvels--YOU GOTTA GET THESE!!

But after these upgrades, the bike's display was showing a steady VSS Error light. No other error. It runs fine, still able to get up to 90+ MPH.

In searching the collective wisdom of the SpyderLovers Forums, I tried the following:
    1. pulled and reset every fuse & relay (it seems that relays crapped out on previous models--still true on 1330's??)
    2. The only fault code is "C1183", which seems to translates to "Pillion rider switch (PRS) shorted to ground; Pillion rider switch voltage out of range--switch defective; Disconnect VCM & PRS connectors; Measure voltage between harness connector PRS-A & ground (expected value= 11 to 13 VDC; Measure resistance VCM-16 & GRD; Replace Pillion rider switch". Yeah, this is to be expected, as the new Ultimate seat we ordered didn't come with the "Bun Warmer Option" [never used it before, don't expect we'll need it in the future]
    3. Battery seems healthy--standing voltage is ~12.4 volts. Bike starts up fine.

Any suggestions as to why we're getting the VSS fault?? The last thing I want to do is haul this monster to the dealer--2 hours away. I really don't trust them--their parts dept is horrible (the counter guy insisted that the boxed BRP oil change kit had the correct filters for ALL MODELS/ALL YEARS of Spyders. The only 'kit' they had was for the 990 engine. I Had to explain to him that the difference between 990 & 1330 engines was more than just 340 cc.] Their sales dept is more interested in selling ATVs, boats and Slingshots.

Questions:
    1. Those magic mirror magnets are really REALLY R-E-A-L-L-Y strong!! Besides causing the recent series of hurricanes in Texas & Florida, massive forest fires in the Western States, and an 8.2 earthquake in Mexico, Could they also be upsetting something in our bikes sensitive VSS system?
    2. Is the stock Spyder seat heater an integral part of the VSS system?
    3. Do I take my life in my hands by RIDING the bike to the Stealer for their expert, thorough diagnosis (cough), wasting valuable riding time and cash.
    4. Does the Dealers "BUDS" computer tell me things about the bike that the Mode-Set-Turn Signal dance won't?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated, as we are preparing for our next big trip soon.
    Shirley G

Spyder Garage

Smile Magnets

Hi,
    Well I would try and take the magnets off. Mirrors and their attachments shouldn't take too much time to remove.

Really powerful magnets can cause ------------------- Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default NOT the magnets

Quote Originally Posted by kaos View Post
    Hi,
    Well I would try and take the magnets off. Mirrors and their attachments shouldn't take too much time to remove.

Really powerful magnets can cause ------------------- Kaos
    Oh, wait. The VSS fault was there BEFORE I installed the magic mirror magnets. I recall my wife having test drove the bike after installation of new Ultimate Seat, she reported the VSS light being on.
    Could it be the seat, since we didn't get the "Spyder Logo" stitching?
    Shirley G

Spyder Garage

Default Curious. ....🤔

You mentioned early on the seat pillion error code. This could be the source of the problem as that switch tells the nanny you are not ryding alone and it adjusts for the handling with a heavier load. (Don't tell her I said that) if the switch is not functioning correctly the nanny may think the stability will be affected...might start there...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by windancer View Post
    Oh, wait. The VSS fault was there BEFORE I installed the magic mirror magnets. I recall my wife having test drove the bike after installation of new Ultimate Seat, she reported the VSS light being on. Could it be the seat, since we didn't get the "Spyder Logo" stitching?
    It may seem obvious, but did you ensure the pillion switch connector was reattached properly after installing the new seat? Did you move the pillion switch over to the new seat?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by windancer View Post
    Oh, wait. The VSS fault was there BEFORE I installed the magic mirror magnets. I recall my wife having test drove the bike after installation of new Ultimate Seat, she reported the VSS light being on.
    Could it be the seat, since we didn't get the "Spyder Logo" stitching?
    Does the Ultimate seat come with a pax sensor? If not, you either forgot to transfer it from the BRP seat to the Ultimate, or you forgot to plug the connector together under the seat!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Mystery Solved!!

You guys are geniuses!!
    What I thought was a seat heater connection was actually the passenger sensor!! Transferred from the original seat to the new Seat, and Voila! no more VSS.
    Guess I shoulda read the instructions: step 2 "Install the Passenger sensor unit into the Ultimate Seat. . . ."
    Back on the road. Thanks for your help.
    Shirley G