Thread: Spyder problem

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder problem

My 2009 RS SE 5 has developed a problem. It has a bit over 25,000 miles. I was riding and stopped for a short time. When I restarted it and put it in 1st, it made a grinding noise and did not want to go. Then it just took off. When first starting out, it stumbled and made the grinding noise, then took off. Going to get it on a trailer and to the dealer in the next few days. Oil level is full, when checking according to the manual procedure. I got it home. The next day I started it, and it worked fine, until it warmed up, then did the same thing. Oil was changed, by the dealer about 500 miles ago, and they installed a new battery last week. Everything checked out fine then. When I purchased it, last October, the dealer, I purchased it from said they had put in a new clutch. (21,000 miles on at that time)I am very careful to keep RPM above 4000, around town, and cruise a around 5000 when on the highway. Which in 4th gives me between 55 and 60 mph. It pull strongly going up hills.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer...😠

I am going to suspect the clutch change is involved in this problem. There were issues witht he weights and the springs back then and they may not have gotten the right ones. If they are the same ones that made the clutch repairs they should go back in and see whats going on...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder problem

The dealer, that I have Service it, had a trailer available today. So I got the trailer and took the Spyder to them. They are going to check it out and get back to me. Could be a few days because they are prepping SkiDoo's for an upcoming event. Only about 8 weeks left in the riding season here. At least I have the Kawasaki Nomad to ride.
    David Petrick

Spyder Garage

Default Problem with Spyder fixed

Dealer called today that the Spyder is done. Turned out to be a defective plug wire. I had them replaced this spring. BRP replaced the defective wire at no charge, dealer requested that it be repaired under parts warranty. Jaycox Powersports in Worthington, MN.
    David Petrick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I am going to suspect the clutch change is involved in this problem. There were issues witht he weights and the springs back then and they may not have gotten the right ones. If they are the same ones that made the clutch repairs they should go back in and see whats going on...
    x 2.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default a what ????

so let me see if I under stand --- you get grinding noise when moving , and at operating temps , also when you put the cycle in first gear , a grinding noise -- when moving , and all it was , was the spark plug wire ? I am not so sure I would go to that conclusion ... { I do not know if you can , but is it possible to get another service shop to look at it ? or have you received the cycle back and it rides fine now ? } I hope that the plug wire did fix the problem for you I am just leaning to another cause ...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    so let me see if I under stand --- you get grinding noise when moving , and at operating temps , also when you put the cycle in first gear , a grinding noise -- when moving , and all it was , was the spark plug wire ? I am not so sure I would go to that conclusion ... { I do not know if you can , but is it possible to get another service shop to look at it ? or have you received the cycle back and it rides fine now ? } I hope that the plug wire did fix the problem for you I am just leaning to another cause ...
    A spark plug wire doesn't move, does just one simple but important thing so how does it fix a grind or gear engagement issue?
    2014 Spyder RS-S SE5
    Mods:

ST Limited Wheels
    RT Handlebars
    Ultimate Seats ST Midrider
    Lidlox Helmet Lock
    Show Chrome Brake Pedal Extension
    Excelvan X-Grip Cell Phone Holder w/USB Charger
    Much more to come......
    Ryder:
    6'-1" - 205lbs - 32"IS - 34"Reach

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder problem

Will pick it up today. Engine would not rev properly, so the clutch would not engage, once the revs picked up the clutch engaged and it shifted. Was running on one cylinder, and when the second cylinder kicked it it ran normally. Hope they got the correct diagnosis.
    David Petrick

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder problem

Picked it up this afternoon, and rode about 40 miles home. It is running great, no grinding or rough running.
    David Petrick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dpetrick View Post
    Will pick it up today. Engine would not rev properly, so the clutch would not engage, once the revs picked up the clutch engaged and it shifted. Was running on one cylinder, and when the second cylinder kicked it it ran normally. Hope they got the correct diagnosis.
    Quote Originally Posted by dpetrick View Post
    Picked it up this afternoon, and rode about 40 miles home. It is running great, no grinding or rough running.
    After finding out you have a SE, this makes sense.

The OEM plug wires fail once they're messed with. One on your plug wires failed, the other one will soon.

BahaRon's plug wires are very robust and highly recommended.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder problem

Went for a ride this evening. Service manager said the replaced the wires and put in new plugs. I had new wires and plugs installed in May, so they were still under warranty, so there was no charge.
    David Petrick