Spyder Garage

Default 2017 F3 Limited Top Speed

Today I competed a 2776 mile 6 day trip from Texas up thru, across and back
    down the central states. It became very apparent that my 2017 F3L has
    no where near the top speed of my old 2015 F3S. The F3S would hit
    100 mph quickly and seemed to have way more left. While the 2017 F3L
    tends to run out of power at 88/90 mph and takes longer to get there. I am no
    speed demon but I would feel a lot safer on two lane back roads trying to pass
    an 18 wheeler if I knew the power/speed was there when needed. My dealer
    did say that the 2017 were detuned compared to the 2015. Is this a normal
    thing for the 2017 and if so what can I do about it?

Thanks in advance

Dray

Spyder Garage

Default Talk going around...

There is a lot of talk and reviews on the recent Flashing of the ECU adding some ooomf to your ryde. Check the past threads. You pull your ECU mail it off they send it back with the modification completed and your ryde will make you happy once again...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I thought it was only the 2017 on F3 T's & L's that got the 'lesser rear cog', effectively detuning them, & that was so they could fit the RT swing arm that allowed them to tow?!?

So if you get an F3 T or L from 2017 on you get the BRP sanctioned option to tow, but it comes at the cost of the slightly less sprightly performance....

What you win on the hurdy gurdy you lose on the round-about! Always the way, isn't it?! There's no such thing as a free lunch - but an ECU tune-up might make your Spyder a very tasty treat!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

The swingarm has nothing to do with rear sprocket size. In the rest of the world (non US) all F3s have the smaller (RT) sprocket.

I haven't driven a US one to compare directly, but mine is certainly not 'de-tuned' and goes very well indeed. Although I am still looking forward to the re-map when I get chance to send my ECU off.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The sprocket size and swingarm on the T and LTD models are the same as the RT. The smaller sprocket drops engine RPM at a given speed by about 10% (from 4000 to 3500 @ 70 mph) in 6th geasr. The swingarm allows for the BRP trailer hitch to be installed unlike the round tube swingarm on the base and S models. We have ridden a direct comparison of our 2015 F3-S and the 2017 LTD models. It is obvious the difference.

The international F3 models have always had the RT-sized rear sprocket, so no difference would be seen when comparing the base thru the LTD models.

Wayne
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

I have a 2017 F3 Limited and pull a Freedom trailer. There is no loss of power. It is every bit as fast as my 2015 RT limited. This notion that the F3 limited is some how under powered is just bull. I find if I need to pass in a hurry, drop a couple of gears and it will really scream. Some people have said that because of the top box that it is a pig, well, that's not true either. I have no idea how this stuff gets started. The 2017 F3 Limited is a great machine with plenty of power, even while towing a trailer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dustoff View Post
    I have a 2017 F3 Limited and pull a Freedom trailer. There is no loss of power. It is every bit as fast as my 2015 RT limited. This notion that the F3 limited is some how under powered is just bull. I find if I need to pass in a hurry, drop a couple of gears and it will really scream. Some people have said that because of the top box that it is a pig, well, that's not true either. I have no idea how this stuff gets started. The 2017 F3 Limited is a great machine with plenty of power, even while towing a trailer.
    Nobody said the F3 Limited was slow. Its just not near as quick as the F3S. Ridden them back to back many times, different bikes and its very noticeable the difference.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I thought it was only the 2017 on F3 T's & L's that got the 'lesser rear cog', effectively detuning them, & that was so they could fit the RT swing arm that allowed them to tow?!?

So if you get an F3 T or L from 2017 on you get the BRP sanctioned option to tow, but it comes at the cost of the slightly less sprightly performance....

What you win on the hurdy gurdy you lose on the round-about! Always the way, isn't it?! There's no such thing as a free lunch - but an ECU tune-up might make your Spyder a very tasty treat!
    Quote Originally Posted by pauly1 View Post
    The sprocket size and swingarm on the T and LTD models are the same as the RT. The smaller sprocket drops engine RPM at a given speed by about 10% (from 4000 to 3500 @ 70 mph) in 6th geasr. The swingarm allows for the BRP trailer hitch to be installed unlike the round tube swingarm on the base and S models. We have ridden a direct comparison of our 2015 F3-S and the 2017 LTD models. It is obvious the difference.

The international F3 models have always had the RT-sized rear sprocket, so no difference would be seen when comparing the base thru the LTD models.

Wayne
    Only the 2017 F3 Limited has the smaller sprocket! Not the F3-t.
    2020 RT Limited
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Default My 2 Cents

We were out Saturday and the wife looked around me and said, "That's funny. It don't feel like it's 88 degrees". I told her that was our speed not the temperature. Then I told her, I guess you didn't feel it when it was 108! Our F3 Ltd hauls butt and nothing has been done to it performance wise. I'm even cruising behind the largest Madstad windshield that they sell.

Spyder Garage

Good information for those with the need for speed.

If I cannot pass a vehicle going 80 mph--I don't think I need to. Let them be out front and check for radar patrols. That makes my driving less complicated.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-04-2017 at 02:32 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

In the short, few months that I have been a member of this group, it seems that most discussions and comments, along with those offering them, can pretty much be categorized according to “3 P’s”. First, there is the ‘Purpose’ for which we chose to buy one type of Spyder over another. By and large, that further divides us into those who favor ‘Performance’, and those who seek mainly ‘Pleasure’. These differing goals or prerequisites provide for some very lively banter. As a recent returnee to riding after a long spell as a ‘cager only’, I do like my ride to perform well, but really, now, only within the limits of more sedate pleasure. I know from watching videos that a well-tuned F3 can approach speeds of 122 mph (200 kph); I know from ryding my own that it has plenty of power, and that I have yet to reach the ‘end’ of the throttle (or anywhere close). Small sprocket or large, de-tuned or re-flashed, the Spyder is simply fun. And having made it almost 77 years along the path of life, I really no longer need to feel the wind whistling through my hair at 100 mph, as I once did, and I really don’t want to know, anymore, what ‘full-on’ throttle feels like through the twisties. As long as me and the missus make it back to barn as many times as we head out, life will be great. I’ll still enjoy reading and hearing from the performance crowd, though; but I’d rather you tell me, than try it myself. Maybe it’s a lack of cojones, but I really don’t want to know or experience the ‘top end’, personally, anymore. When asked “how fast will it go?”, I simply say: “a whole lot more than I want to ride!”
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dustoff View Post
    I have a 2017 F3 Limited and pull a Freedom trailer. There is no loss of power. It is every bit as fast as my 2015 RT limited. This notion that the F3 limited is someone you how under powered is just bull. I find if I need to pass in a hurry, drop a couple of gears and it will really scream. Some people have said that because of the top box that it is a pig, well, that's not true either. I have no idea how this stuff gets started. The 2017 F3 Limited is a great machine with plenty of power, even while towing a trailer.
    Dustoff you are absolutely correct, you 17 F3 L is every bit as fast as your RT. In fact they have the same rear sprocket so they perform the same. This vehicle is plenty fast enough, but is not as fast as the 2016 F3 L or t or S. Having spent hours ryding these back to back, it is an obvious difference! Not bad by any manner of means, just different.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default 2016 F3 Limited has the 89 tooth sprocket

Many Thanks, to a member alerting me that the 2017 F3L shares the same sprocket as the RT. Not only the same sprocket, but the same speed restrictions ( 92 mph is when the butter flies start to close ), and the same sensitive nanny restrictions. But, the 2016 F3L has the same sprocket, speed restrictions, and nanny restrictions as the F3S. So I bought one and it snaps out the gears the same as the F3S. And now, I put the same ECU flash as JC did on his F3S and OMG. I'm going sideways in 1st gear. I can take 5th gear starting at 50 mph, run it to the new red line @ 8,600 rpm and hit 112 mph in just a few short seconds. I'm just giddy with how quick the bike is flashed. Before when I rolled up the power at 5,000 rpm it would go pretty steady to the 8,100 stock red line which I THOUGHT was really impressive. Now, the bike throws my helmet back and the race to red line is non stop and smooth. Hands down the best performance bang I have ever gotten for my Dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Nobody said the F3 Limited was slow. Its just not near as quick as the F3S. Ridden them back to back many times, different bikes and its very noticeable the difference.