Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helmet Holders

Spyder Garage

Default Helmet Holders

I saw a post a while back on SL where a guy made a helmet holder for his Spyder out of a piece of metal. Nothing to do today so I decided to make my own.

I used a piece of white vinyl porch railing I had laying around, so it won't scratch the paint; a Dremmel tool; utility knife; tin snips; and a heat gun are all that I used.
    They work great and I just turn them over and then store in place under the seat.

008.jpg 004.jpg

011.jpg 007.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Border Rider View Post
    I saw a post awhile back on SL where a guy made a helmet holder for his spyder out of a piece of metal. Nothing to do today so I
    decided to make my own. used a piece of white vinyl porch railing I had laying around so it won't scratch the paint. A Dremel tool, utility knife. tin snips and a heat gun is what I used. They work great and I just turn them over and the store in place under the seat.
    Innovative solution to a common problem. Nice!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Oh so easy...

For a mere few dollars, one could buy a plastic coated stainless sreel key ring with a barrel nut, run it through the D Ring, and use the hanger under the seat. Storage in the glove box is easy, hooking is easy and fear of theft is non existent! To the design ingenuity in post 1!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I do believe you're on to something there.

Spyder Garage

Default Good job, love to see DIY

Great job.
    Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Love it!
    For those not as talented; go to pet smart. Buy a small choke chain. Pass thru D ring, hook on helmet holder. Close seat. Done. 😃
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Moved Post title... ;-)
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Why not just hook the helmet strap over the hook under the seat?
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

It appears that in most cases, or at least mine, that the helmet strap is not long enough to reach the hook and then close the seat. I choose to put my helmets in the frunk and right side saddlebag to prevent any tampering and not have to remove my communications every time to prevent stealing.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cleg View Post
    For a mere few dollars, one could buy a plastic coated stainless sreel key ring with a barrel nut, run it through the D Ring, and use the hanger under the seat. Storage in the glove box is easy, hooking is easy and fear of theft is non existent! To the design ingenuity in post 1!

Pictures please.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    Not only is my strap not long enough, but the d-rings aren't big enough to fit over the hook. I invested in the Lidlocks, but if I had thought of it I probably would have done the chock chain thing.
    2017 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CrashDavis View Post
    Not only is my strap not long enough, but the d-rings aren't big enough to fit over the hook. I invested in the Lidlocks, but if I had thought of it I probably would have done the chock chain thing.
    That,s too bad , I have a half, 3/4, and modular and they all work. FYI choke chain is soft and easy to cut.
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cleg View Post
    How does it lock ???? Probably a stupid question, I am probably missing something !!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by biker01red View Post
    How does it lock ???? Probably a stupid question, I am probably missing something !!!
    If you don't know it is not stupid. Just pass one end of the chain thru your helmet "D" rings. Pass the small end of the chain thru the big end. Put the big end over the helmets hooks under the seat. Close the seat and your helmet is locked on.

If I put my chin strap just barely thru the "D" rings it is long enough to slide over the hooks and keeps the helmet snug against the seat also,but I think I am going to look closer at the choke chain solution. Nice piece of work there Border Rider.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    If you don't know it is not stupid. Just pass one end of the chain thru your helmet "D" rings. Pass the small end of the chain thru the big end. Put the big end over the helmets hooks under the seat. Close the seat and your helmet is locked on.

If I put my chin strap just barely thru the "D" rings it is long enough to slide over the hooks and keeps the helmet snug against the seat also,but I think I am going to look closer at the choke chain solution. Nice piece of work there Border Rider.

Thank you very much !!!!!

Spyder Garage

very nice work, I work in a plastic supply and we do fabrication you gave me ideas for using polycarbonate

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    We have the Nolan N40s, that has the microclick chin straps there is not enough play in them to use the hooks under the seats. I like some of these ideas but am wondering about security (theft) though

Dave
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Moved post title...

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I can put 1 Helmet in my frunk But then I have NO Frunk Storage. I have ALWAYS wondered why BRP Did not offer a larger rear trunk. Little Blue
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Moved Post title... ;-)
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Good idea, well done!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I was disappointed when I discovered that my new F3's Frunk was not large enough to hold my Arai full coverage helmet. My solution was to buy an inexpensive helmet lock and install it on the rear tubular frame. This may not be a panacea for everyone, and I have heard all the stories about the perils of using such a device: they are not really secure; a bo hunk sized screwdriver can break one; cutting the strap and making off with the helmet is easy; and sending your expensive helmet back for repairs is a cheap fix. Still, for most instances when I want to walk away from the machine and don't want to carry my lid with me, it works fine.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 07:34 PM.
    There comes a time in life when you really want to stay in the wind, but single-track vehicles are no longer a practical or safe solution. The Can AM Spyder is a wonderful answer to a difficult situation.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Border Rider View Post
    I saw a post a while back on SL where a guy made a helmet holder for his Spyder out of a piece of metal. Nothing to do today so I decided to make my own.

I used a piece of white vinyl porch railing I had laying around, so it won't scratch the paint; a Dremmel tool; utility knife; tin snips; and a heat gun are all that I used.
    They work great and I just turn them over and then store in place under the seat.

008.jpg 004.jpg

011.jpg 007.jpg
    Hi, here's what you're looking for:

CLIP CASQUE (8).jpg CLIP CASQUE (1).jpg

CLIP CASQUE (9).jpg CLIP CASQUE (8).jpg

CLIP CASQUE (1).jpg CLIP CASQUE (9).jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2023 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display & removed multitudes of extraneous CMD lines?! :-/ ;-)

Spyder Garage

Uhh...I see no helmet hook tabs under the seat on the ST-S...
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Hey you wouldn't have a pattern would you? I could print it out and make my own..Carpenter with a lot of tools..

Spyder Garage

I have modular helmets. I bought 2 - 18" long pieces of small cable and the ferrules and put loops in the ends. We hang our helmets on the mirrors so I just loop a cable thru the chin bar and thru the slot in the mirror and put a small travel lock on it..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by amusher View Post
    I have modular helmets. I bought 2 - 18" long pieces of small cable and the ferrules and put loops in the ends. We hang our helmets on the mirrors so I just loop a cable thru the chin bar and thru the slot in the mirror and put a small travel lock on it..
    Yep Have that just wanted to tinker..