Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default For those of you with an Amazon Acct

Change your password ASAP..I have been informed there has been a serious hack
    Last edited by jScotD; 09-03-2017 at 01:01 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jScotD View Post
    Change your password ASAP..I have been informed by someone that works for them their has been a serious hack
    Another option is to set up two-factor authentication for log in. It's now available for Amazon, banks, and other companies. Requires entry of a code sent only to your mobile phone before log in can be completed. Much more secure that way.
    Last edited by MisterP; 09-03-2017 at 01:43 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Change your password ASAP..I have been informed by someone that works for them their has been a serious hack

Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So, amazon hasn't notified their customers as of yet?

Spyder Garage

I cannot find any reports of a current hack on Amazon accounts. You should always change your passwords with some regularity anyway if you don't already.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post
    I cannot find any reports of a current hack on Amazon accounts. You should always change your passwords with some regularity anyway if you don't already.
    Who's report are you expecting to find? If Amazon doesn't report it, how would anyone know?

Spyder Garage

I use LastPass (.com) to keep the passwords and fill them in when needed. After awhile you have way too many different ones to remember. There is a free version and a premium. Along that line, banks use your mother's maiden name. In light of the fact that your mother's maiden name is probably on Ancestors.com it would be wise to use something else for your mother's maiden name. I use something ridiculous and at first the banks balk but just tell them that is what you want.

Also, keep in mind that using your debt card anywhere but an ATM machine is asking for trouble. There is no reg. Z like with Credit Cards, for the most part the banks are replacing your money, but having been in the banking biz, I can tell you that not only don't they have too (read your debit card contract) but if you have more than one or so or a large amount don't be surprised if they refuse to pay and kick you out of the bank.

I have my doubts that Amazon would have a breach and not report it, Target tried that and got killed over it. But like said above, its smart to change your passwords from time to time.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    So, amazon hasn't notified their customers as of yet?
    Fake news. Or, another institutional conspiracy theory. Take your pick.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 09-03-2017 at 03:26 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Where did you get this information from?

The reason I am asking is because because you may have gotten a phishing email from a hacker claiming to be from Amazon. In it there will be a link to log into your Amazon account. The link is fake and is only there to get your login information. So unless you can provide credible proof of the source of your information. I will just assume you have been had.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Someone is jacking you around, I think.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Amazon is big enough, that a major hack would be posted on the news--even the fake stuff.

It also sounds like a phishing scheme to me. Got one of those from my University account last week. The return address was lovelylegs--so that was a no brainer.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Where did you get this information from?

The reason I am asking is because because you may have gotten a phishing email from a hacker claiming to be from Amazon. In it there will be a link to log into your Amazon account. The link is fake and is only there to get your login information. So unless you can provide credible proof of the source of your information. I will just assume you have been had.
    Exactly! Phishing scams work off of panic. Because you don't think when you panic. You just act. If you used the provided link and followed instructions. It is very likely that you are hacked (though Amazon is not). You may have logged into a Phishing Scam's server, not Amazon. They may already have logged into your Amazon account with the information you gave them. You should manually log to your Amazon account and change your password again to be safe.

When you get these panic notices. First! Relax! It is probably fake regardless of how official or authentic it may appear. In the unlikely chance that it is real. You will deal with it. Calmly and rationally.

Then ALWAYS!
    Log into your account manually, be it Amazon, eBay, your bank, Paypal, whatever. DO NOT USE THE PROVIDED LINK! If there is a problem it will be displayed within your account. Using the provided link is almost always an invitation to disaster.

Your brain is the greatest defense against getting ripped off. Don't give it up to the scammers.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 09-03-2017 at 04:13 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Good advice Ron. One other thing you can do to see if it's a fake account and not from Amazon (or Apple, etc.) is to hover your cursor over the "From" address line. If when you do this you see a very long web address that doesn't make sense as to being from Amazon, it's a fake email. You gotta make sure you just hover and don't accidentally click on it.

Spyder Garage

Default NOT TRUE Per Amazon today 9/3@ 1245 mst

I called Amazon today and they deny that they were hacked, But they do recommend updated at least the password every 6 months as a safety measure.

Spyder Garage

Time Warner was hacked and they had data in the Amazon cloud. It was not Amazon that was breached... it was Time Warner through a third party vendor.
    2012 RT-SE5

Spyder Garage

Default He knew

Quote Originally Posted by classicvw View Post
    Who's report are you expecting to find? If Amazon doesn't report it, how would anyone know?
    Since it appears the original poster knew about it, the hack must have been released by someone.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post
    You may be right, but frankly, I'm sick of it.
    How many damn passwords can we be expected to remember ?
    I like my phone, it reads my thumbprint.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    Since it appears the original poster knew about it, the hack must have been released by someone.

Maybe yes, maybe no. But was it true or accurate what the OP posted? That's what everyone is trying to determine.
    He could have received his information from a spoof or phishing email.