Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aklim View Post
    Not trying to call you out or be a jerk but the reason I ask is because I want to be sure that if push came to shove and we had to use some crummy 87 octane, the engine wouldn't detonate and wasn't sure what they have for spark retard.

Does that affect what point we shift at? IIRC, it was recommended I upshift at 2500-3000.

Very interesting. Just a question. On a 17 F3 Limited, what does your dyno say I can get if I run 91-93 octane only in the streetable range?

Final question. I can't seem to find a specific set of removal instructions and for obvious reasons, if I should choose to pursue it, I probably want to DIY. Any ideas?

Up-shift recommended @ 2500-3000? Seems way too low for this 1330 engine unless your just cruising really, really easy on flat. (So low the notion of "lugging" & low rpm knocking under load comes to mind, particularly with the clutched version that won't downshift.) Either way, you're barely into the torque (and not even touching significant HP) at those low rpm's.
    Last edited by TRLBLZR1; 09-18-2017 at 08:58 AM.
    🏁🏁 "Live Free Or Die" 🏁🏁

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TRLBLZR1 View Post
    Up-shift recommended @ 2500-3000? Seems way too low for this 1330 engine unless your just cruising really, really easy on flat. (So low the notion of "lugging" & low rpm knocking under load comes to mind, particularly with the clutched version that won't downshift.) Either way, you're barely into the torque (and not even touching significant HP) at those low rpm's.
    I know it won't downshift below 2500 and this is with auto. I upshift past 3000. What do you suggest?
    2017 F3 Limited , White

Spyder Garage

I know it won't downshift below 2500 and this is with auto. I upshift past 3000. What do you suggest?
    Honestly, I seldom look at the tach. (unless I'm pushing hard from a stop in 1'st.) I shift by sound & feel. But I know it's at least 1k higher than 3000 under most circumstances. No point in using excessive throttle, I'd just get into the power a little! ;-)

I'm going to see where the tach. typically "sits" while I'm driving. ~ I'm guessing I usually "cruise" around 3,000 rpm. when travelling at constant speed/level ground etc. (and up-shift around 4k, maybe a touch higher)
    Last edited by TRLBLZR1; 09-19-2017 at 10:39 AM.
    🏁🏁 "Live Free Or Die" 🏁🏁

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TRLBLZR1 View Post
    The 1330 engine is at or above 80lb/ft of torque at 2000 rpm, and at about 89lb/ft at 3000. The peak is about 97lb/ft at about 4600 rpm. I routinely shift at or before 3000 rpm and it is just fine. I also am getting about 41 mpg shifting like this. I only run 89 octane non-ethanol gas unless it's not available while traveling, in which case I use the recommended premium fuel. You can't lug this engine on the SE-6, it will downshift on its own. Also, the spec sheets says, "Cruise comfortably in 6th gear at 3300 rpm."
    Last edited by Jetfixer; 09-19-2017 at 04:49 PM.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    The 1330 engine is at or above 80lb/ft of torque at 2000 rpm, and at about 89lb/ft at 3000. The peak is about 97lb/ft at about 4600 rpm. I routinely shift at or before 3000 rpm and it is just fine. I also am getting about 41 mpg shifting like this. I only run 89 octane non-ethanol gas unless it's not available while traveling, in which case I use the recommended premium fuel. You can't lug this engine on the SE-6, it will downshift on its own. Also, the spec sheets says, "Cruise comfortably in 6th gear at 3300 rpm."
    Yep, that's about where I cruise. Great gas mileage by the way! (Mine seems pretty "sleepy" @ 2000 rpm.... I'm surprised there's that much torque down so low.)
    🏁🏁 "Live Free Or Die" 🏁🏁

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyd_Piper View Post
    - What do you mean - what does the dyno say? - There is only 1 piece of data that a dyno can say. A chassis dyno is a tool that measures wide open throttle horsepower. Thats it..

As for peak power numbers. We have yet to find a dyno in our area that can take the footprint of the spyder. And for remote dyno test somewhere, we have yet to find one that can be lined up to have BUDS system there to allow dyno runs with defeating traction control / ABS operation. (put system in roller mode)
    I guess I am used to a car where you can look at the HP/Torque curve "BEFORE and AFTER"

So the only way to tell is Seat of The Pants dyno or how does one make the evaluation of how much improvement there is at different rpm points?
    2017 F3 Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Default Stats from timed test runs

Here is where the finale product is at for performance. This is for a 2015 RT
    1. Stock 1st gear 0 to 50 mph @ 6 seconds, Flash 0 to 63 mph @ 6 seconds = 13 mph faster in 1st gear
    2. Stock 2nd gear roll on at 35 mph @ 6 seconds = 63 mph. flash 35 mph to 83 mph 6 seconds = 20 mph faster in 2nd gear
    3. Stock 3rd gear roll on at 45 mph @ 6 seconds = 73 mph. flash 45 mph to 96 mph 6 seconds = 23 mph faster in 3rd gear

Here is the PROOF of the above stated results. Check the elapsed times on the Video against the performance claims above. Then take your stock RT and test your times against the data. I mean seriously, what does it really take for people to accept facts??? Here is a video of a flash RT laying down 25' of rubber, WITH THE NANNY KICKING IN, and still getting to 68 mph in 6 seconds. Come on man!!!!
    https://monsterfuelinjection.com/spyder/

Note to all: if you never take your machine routinely above 5,000 rpm for shifting now, a flash is not going to really be that noticeable. Here is what the flash does best for the RT platform. Take a stock RT at 45 mph in 3rd gear and line it up against a Flashed RT in 5th gear and accelerate to 85 mph. Even though the stock RT is in 3rd gear, it will be several bike lengths behind the flashed RT which is in 5th gear. Then note above in 3. that if you did shift down to 3rd gear in a FLASHED RT @ 45 mph you would be going more than 20 mph faster than the stock RT. It's about two up roll on passing power without downshifting.

I guess I am used to a car where you can look at the HP/Torque curve "BEFORE and AFTER"

So the only way to tell is Seat of The Pants dyno or how does one make the evaluation of how much improvement there is at different rpm points?
    Last edited by Dennis in Lodi; 09-20-2017 at 12:40 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in Lodi View Post
    Here is where the finale product is at for performance. This is for a 2015 RT
    1. Stock 1st gear 0 to 50 mph @ 6 seconds, Flash 0 to 63 mph @ 6 seconds = 13 mph faster in 1st gear
    2. Stock 2nd gear roll on at 35 mph @ 6 seconds = 63 mph. flash 35 mph to 83 mph 6 seconds = 20 mph faster in 2nd gear
    3. Stock 3rd gear roll on at 45 mph @ 6 seconds = 73 mph. flash 45 mph to 96 mph 6 seconds = 23 mph faster in 3rd gear

Here is the PROOF of the above stated results. Check the elapsed times on the Video against the performance claims above. Then take your stock RT and test your times against the data. I mean seriously, what does it really take for people to accept facts??? Here is a video of a flash RT laying down 25' of rubber, WITH THE NANNY KICKING IN, and still getting to 68 mph in 6 seconds. Come on man!!!!
    https://monsterfuelinjection.com/spyder/

Note to all: if you never take your machine routinely above 5,000 rpm for shifting now, a flash is not going to really be that noticeable. Here is what the flash does best for the RT platform. Take a stock RT at 45 mph in 3rd gear and line it up against a Flashed RT in 5th gear and accelerate to 85 mph. Even though the stock RT is in 3rd gear, it will be several bike lengths behind the flashed RT which is in 5th gear. Then note above in 3. that if you did shift down to 3rd gear in a FLASHED RT @ 45 mph you would be going more than 20 mph faster than the stock RT. It's about two up roll on passing power without downshifting.
    Fair enough. I can use that info. Now I will shut down the F3 over winter and send the ECM out.
    2017 F3 Limited , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default track

went to the track today best time 14.332 mph 93.60 1/4 mile

Spyder Garage

Which F3 is it? what was the stock time?