Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default My Spyder let me down today

Went to post office and when I came out the parking brake would not release, I have almost 4000 miles and it has been flawless till today. I did do something different but I don't think it caused it but now sure, I turned key and before pressing the eco button I released brake (Don't ask me why), I noticed it didn't release it, I then started it and it was stuck, every time I turned off it would beep at me like I didn't press the brake before turning off. I turned back on and it would be blinking, press brake button and it would turn solid and keep doing this over and over. Dealer had me press brake by foot and try but nothing, my dealer drove over and took brake off and took my bike to dealership. Bummed bigtime, I now know how to release it but have to wait to see what is stuck, maybe relay?

2016 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ramg66 View Post
    Went to post office and when I came out the parking brake would not release, I have almost 4000 miles and it has been flawless till today. I did do something different but I don't think it caused it but now sure, I turned key and before pressing the eco button I released brake (Don't ask me why), I noticed it didn't release it, I then started it and it was stuck, every time I turned off it would beep at me like I didn't press the brake before turning off. I turned back on and it would be blinking, press brake button and it would turn solid and keep doing this over and over. Dealer had me press brake by foot and try but nothing, my dealer drove over and took brake off and took my bike to dealership. Bummed bigtime, I now know how to release it but have to wait to see what is stuck, maybe relay?
    I do that most of the time and it hasn't caused any problems for either of my 2014RTLs (knock on wood). I can't imagine the sequence of releasing the parking brake is likely to create a problem with the electronics, but I could be wrong.

BTW, in case it happens to me, how do you release the parking brake when the switch won't do it?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Right side of the rear wheel, just undo the bolt with the brake cable and take off. You can ride it like this but have to put up with annoying beeps for a few seconds when staring and turning off.

Spyder Garage

Default Brake release

Try, disconnecting the battery and hooking it back up. Might have to reset the logic in the computer.

Add On’s

2017 Pearl White RTL
    SPYDER RAM Multi Mount
    Ram Mount Drivers cup holder
    Ram Mount passenger Cup Holder
    TRICELED Bar/Circle
    Brake Light/RGB LED
    Ground Effects Lighting
    Airhorn/compressor
    LED Head Lights
    LED Fog Lights
    K & N Air filter
    Two Brothers SR1
    Cat Bypass Pipe
    Easter Beaver Accessorie block
    USB pwr plug
    Removable hitch assembly

Spyder Garage

I was going to do that, dealer told me not to. It made sense to me because the brake is electronic, but they came and picked it up and its at the dealership now. I was pretty impressed they came and picked it up though.

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer...😠

But Wow..!! Great dealer..could suggest but now that they have it let us know what they find...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default I had a similar experience

and discovered the rear cable pivot had stuck in the brake applied position. It was stuck from dirt & grime, a little WD40 and hand movement got it working again.

I now pay more attention to cleaning & lubing that area.

Spyder Garage

I talked to the dealer yesterday, didn't have time to post. They tell me the motor that engages the brake and releases it went out. They have ordered one and hope to have my Spyder to me in time for my Trike training. Thanks everyone for all the good advice. Ride ON!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I talked to the dealer yesterday, didn't have time to post. They tell me the motor that engages the brake and releases it went out. They have ordered one and hope to have my Spyder to me in time for my Trike training. Thanks everyone for all the good advice. Ride ON!!
    This is a perfect example of how over-engineered this trike is. A simple manual cable with a switch would be a better solution. A 'park' lock position in the transmission would be more elegant as well. This motor adds cost, weight and complexity to a very simple purpose. You would think these trikes were engineered by old, British designers.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    This is a perfect example of how over-engineered this trike is. A simple manual cable with a switch would be a better solution. A 'park' lock position in the transmission would be more elegant as well. This motor adds cost, weight and complexity to a very simple purpose. You would think these trikes were engineered by old, British designers.
    Well said !
    Even though I'm British

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

vcm_s_kf_repr_882x588.jpgAs near as I can tell, none of the designers are British. Most of them are Canadian and all of the other countries of origin are marked with the appopriate country flag. The guy in the middle is the guy who thunk up the Spyder in the first place!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You mean the ones that brought us the WWII Spitfire, the Rolls Royce Phaeton, etc, etc?

I don't agree with you, and it's not just because I'm British. But, you are entitled to your opinion, as ill-considered as it might be.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    You mean the ones that brought us the WWII Spitfire, the Rolls Royce Phaeton, etc, etc?
    No. I mean the ones who brought us Triumph, MG, Jensen, Hillman, Austin-Healey, Jaguar, Land Rover and a whole host of British marque motorcycles which those of us who rode still have gasoline smell on our legs and feet - and none of this to mention that Lord of Darkness line of gauges and controls whose headlights always seemed to fail in the middle of a corner.

Of course, the Brits were eventually outdone by the Germans who took maintenance to new levels of greatness and still maintain it today.

Spyder Garage

Default Electronics

Years ago, my uncle made a comment about new cars being solely dependent on a strange, little black box now found under their hoods. No more distributor caps, points, or anything connected with them. Unfortunately, if the black box failed out in the middle of nowhere, you were left stranded. Not many service stations, back when they still offered service, had a replacement black box in stock. Rather like a parking brake switch that won't function as it should. Not many bike shops are going to have replacement relays, or switches. And while, a Spyder can still be ridden, hopefully not far, the operator knows that the parking brake is still engaged, and the beeping noise can be irritating.

Spyder Garage

Red face Lucas electrics

Lucas electrics ( not electronics ). This is the reason the British used to drink warm beer. Lucas made refrigerators.

Warm beer causes-----------Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kaos View Post
    Lucas electrics ( not electronics ). This is the reason the British used to drink warm beer. Lucas made refrigerators.

Warm beer causes-----------Kaos
    Slightly off topic but as a public service.....

The Brits do not drink "warm" beer. It is, by their standards, room temperature which, by our standards is "cool", not cold.

US domestic beer tends to be highly carbonated whilst British beers are not so they do not need to be as cold as ours.

British beer also tends to have a higher alcoholic content than ours. Not sure how that affects the temperature but you don't seem to care as much.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.......

Spyder Garage

Well EXCUUUUUUSE me.--------The joker is my symbol for a bit of sarcasm. A little of it is usually tolerated here.

Not being much of a beer drinker, I must be allowed the difference between unrefrigerated brew and a room temperature brew. I prefer a good bourbon or whiskey on the rocks.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.......

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Same issues

I have 4200 miles on my 17 RT Ltd and I have had the brake lock up twice. The dealer has replaced the switch once, but that's not it. The brakes locks on set and won't go off, or the red light stays solid red and the brake is off or the park won't set at all and just beeps. I have posted on here under "Parking Brake Issues". Let me know if you get a resolve. Can Am BRP says they have not had any of these issues yet, so the techs don't know what causes it.

Spyder Garage

It ended up being the motor between the switch and the brake, it engages it and disengages it. Working fine now.