Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default My Spyder let me down today

Went to post office and when I came out the parking brake would not release, I have almost 4000 miles and it has been flawless till today. I did do something different but I don't think it caused it but now sure, I turned key and before pressing the eco button I released brake (Don't ask me why), I noticed it didn't release it, I then started it and it was stuck, every time I turned off it would beep at me like I didn't press the brake before turning off. I turned back on and it would be blinking, press brake button and it would turn solid and keep doing this over and over. Dealer had me press brake by foot and try but nothing, my dealer drove over and took brake off and took my bike to dealership. Bummed bigtime, I now know how to release it but have to wait to see what is stuck, maybe relay?

2016 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ramg66 View Post
    Went to post office and when I came out the parking brake would not release, I have almost 4000 miles and it has been flawless till today. I did do something different but I don't think it caused it but now sure, I turned key and before pressing the eco button I released brake (Don't ask me why), I noticed it didn't release it, I then started it and it was stuck, every time I turned off it would beep at me like I didn't press the brake before turning off. I turned back on and it would be blinking, press brake button and it would turn solid and keep doing this over and over. Dealer had me press brake by foot and try but nothing, my dealer drove over and took brake off and took my bike to dealership. Bummed bigtime, I now know how to release it but have to wait to see what is stuck, maybe relay?
    I do that most of the time and it hasn't caused any problems for either of my 2014RTLs (knock on wood). I can't imagine the sequence of releasing the parking brake is likely to create a problem with the electronics, but I could be wrong.

BTW, in case it happens to me, how do you release the parking brake when the switch won't do it?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Right side of the rear wheel, just undo the bolt with the brake cable and take off. You can ride it like this but have to put up with annoying beeps for a few seconds when staring and turning off.

Spyder Garage

Default Brake release

Try, disconnecting the battery and hooking it back up. Might have to reset the logic in the computer.

Add On’s

2017 Pearl White RTL
    SPYDER RAM Multi Mount
    Ram Mount Drivers cup holder
    Ram Mount passenger Cup Holder
    TRICELED Bar/Circle
    Brake Light/RGB LED
    Ground Effects Lighting
    Airhorn/compressor
    LED Head Lights
    LED Fog Lights
    K & N Air filter
    Two Brothers SR1
    Cat Bypass Pipe
    Easter Beaver Accessorie block
    USB pwr plug
    Removable hitch assembly

Spyder Garage

I was going to do that, dealer told me not to. It made sense to me because the brake is electronic, but they came and picked it up and its at the dealership now. I was pretty impressed they came and picked it up though.

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer...😠

But Wow..!! Great dealer..could suggest but now that they have it let us know what they find...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Me too

I have had this happen several times now. I just turn the key off let it beep after about min or so it will stop I then start the bike and it has so far worked the brake disengages weird I know. I think it is in the switch. please let us know what the dealer says.

Spyder Garage

I wish it would have worked for me today, I will definitely let everyone know what they find.

Spyder Garage

I'll be interested to see what you and the dealership find out.
    This happened to me while on the road in Idaho a couple of months back. Only happened the once but unsettling non the less.

I'll add you to the list of 12 it's happened to so far.

Who's your dealer ?
    Last edited by HayRog; 09-02-2017 at 11:00 AM.

Spyder Garage

Birds of Prey Motorsports in Caldwell ID, I was reading the manual (which I should put back in the Spyder) and I saw a part that said to check fuse No. 1.

Spyder Garage

Its happened to 12 people? WOW!! How long was your Spyder in the shop? I have my Idaho Star Trike training this Friday and Saturday I guess break downs are never good timing

Spyder Garage

Its happened to 12 people? WOW!! How long was your Spyder in the shop? I have my Idaho Star Trike training this Friday and Saturday I guess break downs are never good timing
    Never really got to my local shop yet. PM'd you --

Hope the training went well :-)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

excellent service!

Spyder Garage

My training is next Friday and Saturday, I figured today was Saturday so I said "THIS Friday.......". The dealership said they might even loan me a demo for the training.

Spyder Garage

That dealership's a keeper

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Fuse

Birds of Prey Motorsports in Caldwell ID, I was reading the manual (which I should put back in the Spyder) and I saw a part that said to check fuse No. 1.
    If it were the fuse, then your windshield would not move up and down .... that is an easy way to check the fuse when the parking brake won't release. I had a switch go bad on my 2012 RT, dealer replaced the switch and never had a problem after that.

All the best .... Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

I have a 2014 RTL and I've one time where the "parking brake" would not disengage.

The problem was that my brake fluid was low enough to trigger the nanny to keep the brake locked.

How low was my brake fluid? I put a tablespoon if brake fluid in the reservoir that is under the seat and problem went away.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That is what happened to out 2013 RTL. Just topped off the brake fluid and back on the road with no issues.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is a good conversations, and will help everyone now and in the future. Thank you and enjoy the first BER month.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Default I had a similar experience

and discovered the rear cable pivot had stuck in the brake applied position. It was stuck from dirt & grime, a little WD40 and hand movement got it working again.

I now pay more attention to cleaning & lubing that area.

Spyder Garage

I talked to the dealer yesterday, didn't have time to post. They tell me the motor that engages the brake and releases it went out. They have ordered one and hope to have my Spyder to me in time for my Trike training. Thanks everyone for all the good advice. Ride ON!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I talked to the dealer yesterday, didn't have time to post. They tell me the motor that engages the brake and releases it went out. They have ordered one and hope to have my Spyder to me in time for my Trike training. Thanks everyone for all the good advice. Ride ON!!
    This is a perfect example of how over-engineered this trike is. A simple manual cable with a switch would be a better solution. A 'park' lock position in the transmission would be more elegant as well. This motor adds cost, weight and complexity to a very simple purpose. You would think these trikes were engineered by old, British designers.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    This is a perfect example of how over-engineered this trike is. A simple manual cable with a switch would be a better solution. A 'park' lock position in the transmission would be more elegant as well. This motor adds cost, weight and complexity to a very simple purpose. You would think these trikes were engineered by old, British designers.
    Well said !
    Even though I'm British

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

vcm_s_kf_repr_882x588.jpgAs near as I can tell, none of the designers are British. Most of them are Canadian and all of the other countries of origin are marked with the appopriate country flag. The guy in the middle is the guy who thunk up the Spyder in the first place!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You mean the ones that brought us the WWII Spitfire, the Rolls Royce Phaeton, etc, etc?

I don't agree with you, and it's not just because I'm British. But, you are entitled to your opinion, as ill-considered as it might be.
    2014 RTL Platinum