Thread: Secret Rotex ?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Secret Rotex ?

so yesterday I am at my dealer having a set of throttlemeisters installed...things were slow on a Friday afternoon so the shop people had lots of time to talk...one noted that when the a Rotex engine fails (they are used on numerous types of bikes) and needs replacement they are required to send the entire failed unit back to BRP without opening it. Interesting....anyone ever heard of such a thing ?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default First post, couldn't help myself....

Never heard that about a Rotex. Rotax yes, but not a Rotex.

Rub

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Probably so they can diagnose the problem w/o confounding "shop" influences in order to make any needed production modifications.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

-2 for poor proof reading on a Saturday morning--

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rub View Post

Rub
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

It's not unheard of, Harley did that during the first 2 years of V-Rod production because there were specialty tools and training needed. I believe they are currently doing that for the Rotax sourced Buell motors. Chevy did it for the entire production run of the ZR1 because the motor was specially build by Mercruiser and it didn't make sense to ask every dealer to buy all the special tools needed.

I suspect the Rotax requires special machining and tools that the average dealer would not be too happy to have to buy on the chance that they may need it someday. I mean think about it, how many motors do you know or own that require heatsink past on the spark plugs

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

A variety of issues with the Spyder (VSS, parking brake, brake squeal, relays, DPS, electrical, tire wear, wheel alignment, fuel smell, oil blow by, coolant leaks, etc.), but based on history, Rotax engine should be reliable. Apparently, not many get shipped back for engine failure post mortem.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rub View Post

Rub
    tough crowd this morning

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    so yesterday I am at my dealer having a set of throttlemeisters installed...things were slow on a Friday afternoon so the shop people had lots of time to talk...one noted that when the a Rotex engine fails (they are used on numerous types of bikes) and needs replacement they are required to send the entire failed unit back to BRP without opening it. Interesting....anyone ever heard of such a thing ?
    Well - I'm not buying it - How can they possibly know if it's 'failed' without opening it? I know for a fact that at least 2 Spyders with engine problems have had them torn down by their local dealers. One had a partial rebuild, the other was bad enough that they sent a new motor right away.

This motor is tried and true - a real workhorse with a good track record. Ken at Evoluzione really knows them inside and out from building custom Aprillas. He has high-end cams & pistons you can buy to increase HP.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I know with my sled Bombardier tailors the warranty claim to the % of internal destruction.
    I think if it was over 75% then you just got a new engine.
    Anything below and they would rebuild.
    It may have something to do with it but I would think the shop would make that determination.
    Max

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Rotax will request a engine be left intact. They do it to because they know what shift the engine was built. Who was working on the line or If they have a parts problem or a procedure issue. It all has to do with quality!
    Quality, Service, Price. Choose two.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdylr View Post
    Rotax will request a engine be left intact. They do it to because they know what shift the engine was built. Who was working on the line or If they have a parts problem or a procedure issue. It all has to do with quality!
    Have no idea if this is true....but it sounds really good to me!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

We had a Sea doo engine that failed (within the first hour of use) and were instructed NOT to open it up. If we did they wouldn't pay the claim. A $5k engine . When questioned we were told they do it for quality control. If the shop opens it up then evidence as to the cause of the failure will be lost. You wouldn't want the police at the crime scene to do the autopsy would you?

The only problem I had with the whole process is they never contacted us as to the cause of the problem. It has been our experience that if an engine is going to fail it will do it with in the first few hours of operation. Rarely will an engine fail after the initial break in period. That is why it is important to follow break in proceedure, AND HAVE THE 600 MILE SERVICE DONE. I'll quit preaching now. Class dismissed now go ride.
    Quality, Service, Price. Choose two.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdylr View Post
    We had a Sea doo engine that failed (within the first hour of use) and were instructed NOT to open it up. If we did they wouldn't pay the claim. A $5k engine . When questioned we were told they do it for quality control. If the shop opens it up then evidence as to the cause of the failure will be lost. You wouldn't want the police at the crime scene to do the autopsy would you?

The only problem I had with the whole process is they never contacted us as to the cause of the problem. It has been our experience that if an engine is going to fail it will do it with in the first few hours of operation. Rarely will an engine fail after the initial break in period. That is why it is important to follow break in proceedure, AND HAVE THE 600 MILE SERVICE DONE. I'll quit preaching now. Class dismissed now go ride.
    More reason to ride it like it was stolen during the first 600 miles!