Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default OEM vs car tires on Spyder 2014+ RT; let's consolidate the advice in one place

Correction; I should have said RT 2013+ not 2014+; I was trying to keep the discussion to the same size wheels

There are already many threads on tire replacements for the Spyder. And, that's the problem when trying to research for tire replacements - too many threads (with too many off-topic remarks) on different aspects of tire replacement using non-Kenda tires (which brand, which size, what pressures, where to buy, dealer issues installing non-motorcycle tires on a Spyder, etc). There are also differences in handling characteristics and sizes between Spyder models and between back and front tires, which further complicates the task of researching the issue on this forum.

I would like to see if we can consolidate your accumulated wisdom / advice (not unsubstantiated opinion) in this one thread. I understand OEM Kendas are a mixed bag; some people have had good wear and handling from them; others have not. So, we're not talking about Kendas here. We're also not talking about the Arachnids, which apparently are the only other true 'motorcycle' tire that fit the Spyder, but are universally considered inferior to Kendas (and much cheaper I guess). If there are any other true motorcycle tires that fit the Spyder and are worth considering, then please chime in with any first-hand experience with those.

Otherwise, I think we are talking about using car tires (i.e. 4-ply) at lower pressures (because of the reduced load of the Spyder vs. the car tire load rating). So, please respond with the following information about your experience using a non-Kenda tire on a 2014+ RT;

1. The brand, model and SIZE of tire
    2. Whether it is for the front or rear of the bike
    3. What pressure you run in the tire normally
    4. How the handling differs from Kendas in dry and wet road conditions
    5. How many miles did you have on them before replacement was needed? (or how many miles you now have on them and how many more you are expecting)
    6. Whether you experienced any difficulty having them mounted and balanced
    7. Whether you would buy them again

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful responses.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 09-02-2017 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Correction
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Federal Formosa on the front in stock size and General Altimax on the rear in stock size. 18 PSI fronts and 20 PSI rear. I ordered them all online and my buddy who is an independent bike mechanic with his own shop mounted and balanced them. Wet weather traction is greatly improved on the rear, hydroplaning is no longer an issue. The handling is more precise and control is much better. I have had Nanny not only cut power, but also apply the brakes and the bike didn't feel anywhere near being in trouble. That never happened with the stock tires. I was never comfortable enough to push that hard with the Kendas. At 6700 miles the rear Kenda was shot, the fronts were good, but replaced anyway. I currently have 7100 miles on the car tire combination and wear is negligible. I would buy them again. 2015 RT.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Got no dog in this hunt.....

Good luck with this venture....this is a GTO site and I have been running Kendas since new...just went to the second set on the front and third on the rear. Have 37,000 mile and they have done well. I run 17lbs in the fronts and 28lbs in the rear.... no problem mounting or balancing being as I do my own
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    Federal Formosa on the front in stock size and General Altimax on the rear in stock size. 18 PSI fronts and 20 PSI rear. I ordered them all online and my buddy who is an independent bike mechanic with his own shop mounted and balanced them. Wet weather traction is greatly improved on the rear, hydroplaning is no longer an issue. The handling is more precise and control is much better. I have had Nanny not only cut power, but also apply the brakes and the bike didn't feel anywhere near being in trouble. That never happened with the stock tires. I was never comfortable enough to push that hard with the Kendas. At 6700 miles the rear Kenda was shot, the fronts were good, but replaced anyway. I currently have 7100 miles on the car tire combination and wear is negligible. I would buy them again. 2015 RT.
    I have the same configuration and all around handling is better. Most that have used this setup were very happy so thats the way I went. Tires found on Ebay and my local shop did the front and had the dealer do the rear.

Spyder Garage

Default Really. ...😲

You don't remember yet remember the car... Gas / Tires / Oil......and we post a lot of each...also affectionately known as a Goat...the car not this site..

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    GTO? Don't understand. Great car though.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This just becomes another thread about tires. Don't see how you're going to consolidate anything in one place or how anyone will know that this is "The Tire Thread"
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

1. - 3. Federal Formoza AZ01 Tires in Front 23 psi; Kumho in Rear 26psi
    4. Better handling then OEMs on all pavements
    5. 12K on Front, 6K on rear; 4K on fronts; 10K on rear expecting another 10K on rear; to soon to tell on fronts
    6. No problem mounting; balanced without any weights on front
    7. Formoza yes, rear kumho not sure may try a Michelin next.

AJ

There are already too many threads on tire replacements for the Spyder. And, that's the problem - too many threads (with too many off-topic remarks) on different aspects of tire replacement using non-Kenda tires (which brand, which size, what pressures, where to buy, dealer issues installing non-motorcycle tires on a Spyder, etc). There are also differences in handling characteristics and sizes between Spyder models and between back and front tires, which further complicates the task of researching the issue on this forum.

I would like to see if we can consolidate your accumulated wisdom / advice (not unsubstantiated opinion) in this one thread. I understand OEM Kendas are a mixed bag; some people have had good wear and handling from them; others have not. So, we're not talking about Kendas here. We're also not talking about the Arachnids, which apparently are the only other true 'motorcycle' tire that fit the Spyder, but are universally considered inferior to Kendas (and much cheaper I guess). If there are any other true motorcycle tires that fit the Spyder and are worth considering, then please chime in with any first-hand experience with those.

Otherwise, I think we are talking about using car tires (i.e. 4-ply) at lower pressures (because of the reduced load of the Spyder vs. the car tire load rating). So, please respond with the following information about your experience using a non-Kenda tire on a 2014+ RT;

1. The brand, model and SIZE of tire
    2. Whether it is for the front or rear of the bike
    3. What pressure you run in the tire normally
    4. How the handling differs from Kendas in dry and wet road conditions
    5. How many miles did you have on them before replacement was needed? (or how many miles you now have on them and how many more you are expecting)
    6. Whether you experienced any difficulty having them mounted and balanced
    7. Whether you would buy them again

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful responses.

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    This just becomes another thread about tires. Don't see how you're going to consolidate anything in one place or how anyone will know that this is "The Tire Thread"
    It might work if someone consolidated the inputs into a single chart, then asked Lamont to post it as a sticky in the General Discussion. "Summary of Tire Threads" or somesuch.

Probably ought to preface it with some disclaimer about BRP's policy on non-OEM tires, for the newbies.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Rear Tire Mileage:
    1 Kenda 9,600
    2 Arachnid 8,355
    3 Kumho 20,774
    4 Arachnid 8,882
    5 Yokohama S Drive 8,734
    6 Arachnid 5,009
    7 Kumho 10,946
    8 General Altimax RT43 15,704
    9 General Altimax RT43 14,295
    10 General Altimax RT43 16,300
    Front Tire Mileage:
    1 Kenda 17,955
    2 Federal Evo 29,656
    3 Federal Evo 24,689
    4 Kenda 17,489
    5 Federal Formoza still on the RT 32,200
    For what its worth this is what I have run on my 14 RT. Would I ever run an Arachnid again, heck no. Why did I get only 8,734 miles on the beloved Yokohama S Drive? Your guess is as good as mine but I get much better mileage out of "Third World Tires" so I'll stick with them. Sometimes I will change my tires because we are going on a big trip and not because they are completely worn out.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default A single tire thread would be nice

I spent a lot of time searching and reading about tires and tire pressure etc. And based on what I read I went with Federal Formoza AZ01 on the front and General Altimax RT43 on the rear. There are a lot of opinions about tire pressure but right now I am running 20# all around.
    Wayne Bishop

2015 RT-S Special Series
    2017 F3 Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm afraid that it's just another thread... in an unending pile of "another threads"...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Rear Tire Mileage:
    1 Kenda 9,600
    2 Arachnid 8,355
    3 Kumho 20,774
    4 Arachnid 8,882
    5 Yokohama S Drive 8,734
    6 Arachnid 5,009
    7 Kumho 10,946
    Front Tire Mileage:
    1 Kenda 17,955
    2 Federal Evo 29,656
    3 Federal Evo 24,689
    4 Kenda 17,489
    For what its worth this is what I have run on my 14 RT. Would I ever run an Arachnid again, heck no. Why did I get only 8,734 miles on the beloved Yokohama S Drive? Your guess is as good as mine but I get much better mileage out of "Third World Tires" so I'll stick with them. Sometimes I will change my tires because we are going on a big trip and not because they are completely worn out.
    Your milage on the Yoko baffles me. I currently have about 9k on my current one and have lots of tread left and even wear across the tire. The few I have replaced have all been in the 16k or so range. And I KNOW I am harder on my rear tire than you were on your RT.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    It might work if someone consolidated the inputs into a single chart, then asked Lamont to post it as a sticky in the General Discussion. "Summary of Tire Threads" or somesuch. Probably ought to preface it with some disclaimer about BRP's policy on non-OEM tires, for the newbies.
    I'm hoping to do just that. In fact, I started out researching the threads with that intent but gave up and thought I'd try this instead.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default dead horse

Spyder Garage

Rear Tire Mileage:
    1 Kenda 9,600
    2 Arachnid 8,355
    3 Kumho 20,774
    4 Arachnid 8,882
    5 Yokohama S Drive 8,734
    6 Arachnid 5,009
    7 Kumho 10,946
    Front Tire Mileage:
    1 Kenda 17,955
    2 Federal Evo 29,656
    3 Federal Evo 24,689
    4 Kenda 17,489
    I'd be switching to the Kumho on the rear unless your totally in love with the General, which it appears to be the case, since your last 3 tires have been Generals. Not sure why the second Kumho only netted over 10,000 miles though as the first Kumho had over 20,000 miles. I got a Kumho mounted right now on my 2015 RTS and put a little over 9100 miles in it and still looks good with even wear across the tire.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    I'd be switching to the Kumho on the rear unless your totally in love with the General, which it appears to be the case, since your last 3 tires have been Generals. Not sure why the second Kumho only netted over 10,000 miles though as the first Kumho had over 20,000 miles. I got a Kumho mounted right now on my 2015 RTS and put a little over 9100 miles in it and still looks good with even wear across the tire.
    Because the Kumho has very poor traction in the rain. We have replaced several with good tread left for just this reason.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Because the Kumho has very poor traction in the rain. We have replaced several with good tread left for just this reason.
    Please respect my request to keep this thread free of OPINIONS. This is what ruins serious threads, what makes it so difficult to get to the facts in them, and why I felt compelled to start this one. Please delete this post and save your opinions for one of the many other threads that are almost nothing but. Thank you.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 09-01-2017 at 06:29 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default For the 1330 RT's only

Since your request was for info on the 14+ RT only, we have run 2-3 Kumho Ecsta ASTs on a 15 RT-S and a 15 base RT.

The 15 RTS got 2 new Kumho Solus KH16s fronts at 23,500 miles, and my base 15 RT got new Solus KH16s fronts at 26500 miles both in the 155/60R15 size.
    Wifes bike had good tread all around when she traded for the F3T this spring at 44,000 miles, so 20,000 miles plus rolling at 17 psi cold. My fronts are brand new but also at 17-18 cold.

No problems ordering or mounting. Switched from the OEM Kendas due to quicker wear and "feathering" and they required a few more weights to balance, but otherwise OK.

REAR oems Wore out with the characteristic center wear at 12,500 and 13,500 miles. The last one on my RT had 17 1/4 oz weights on the rear. I have over 28,500 now on the Kumho Ecsta rear in 225/50/15 size so over 15,000 miles with even wear at 26 psi cold pressure. It is wearing even and I put 6 1/4 ounce weights on. I'd say I have another 7-10,000 miles of wear left in it.

We must have put another Kumho on the wifes RTS because when we traded it still had good rubber and I doubt we got 30,000 plus out of it...hmmm

Trying a General RT43 on the wifes new F3T but thats another unit with lighter weight and different ryding! Kumhos have been reliable with good service for us IMO.
    Last edited by AeroPilot; 09-01-2017 at 06:55 PM. Reason: fronts
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    As I said in my post there were some tires changed when they had a little tread left but not enough for a big trip. I do not like the way the Kumho handles in the rain and that is why I have switched to the General.

James, the Yokohama was not one of the tires that I changed out early. It was worn out after our trip to Alaska. I was towing for the entire life of that tire but I tow most of the time anyway and I get similar life out of other brands that I've run.
    Last edited by SpyderAnn01; 09-01-2017 at 08:40 PM.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

What are you, some kind of a 1330 snob, only 2014 and newer?

I will have my say, like it or not!

I recently removed the OEM on my 2013 RTL, after 25k, they were showing high wear on the inside of both, so I replaced them with Federal Formosa AZ01 but in the 175 55R15 size, I got them on Amazon, took the tires and wheels to my usual tire shop, they charged $37 for removal, mounting, disposal and balance.

The difference is significant with almost complete erasure or all Road Rut Bounce, I mean even on the worst ruts that I know of it tracks like a champ.

Wear, I have not had them on long enough to make a statement and I run them with 16#.

Joe
    Last edited by Buckeye Bleau; 09-18-2017 at 04:26 AM.
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    I recently removed the OEM on my 2013 RTL, after 25k, they were showing high wear on the inside of both, so I replaced them with Federal Formosa AZ01 but in the 175 55R15 size, I got them on Amazon, took the tires and wheels to my usual tire shop, they charged $37 for removal, mounting, disposal and balance. The difference is significant with almost complete erasure or all Road Rut Bounce, I mean even on the worst ruts that I know of it tracks like a champ. Wear, I have not had them on long enough to make a statement and I run them with 16#. Joe
    My understanding is that earlier RT's used a smaller wheel, which is why I specified 2014+. Am I wrong about that?

I'm guessing you are talking about the fronts? And, you're saying the OEMs lasted 25k? Amazing.

What about the rear? When did you have to replace that, and with what?
    Last edited by UtahPete; 09-01-2017 at 10:56 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default INSIDE TIRE WEAR

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    What are you, some kind of a 1330 sno, only 2014 and newer?

I will have my say, like it or not!

I recently removed the OEM on my 2013 RTL, after 25k, they were showing high wear on the inside of both, so I replaced them with Federal Formosa AZ01 but in the 175 55R15 size, I got them on Amazon, took the tires and wheels to my usual tire shop, they charged $37 for removal, mounting, disposal and balance.

The difference is significant with almost complete erasure or all Road Rut Bounce, I mean even on the worst ruts that I know of it tracks like a champ.

Wear, I have not had them on long enough to make a statement and I run them with 16#.

Joe
    Joe, if you haven't had a ROLO / Tru Trac LAZER alignment you need one .... inside tire wear means they are OUT of alignment ........ It's not critical, so you can wait until Oct... Derrick Netzley will be there and He does them and does them well ....I've had mine done and am very pleased with the results .... Mike

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My understanding is that earlier RT's used a smaller wheel, which is why I specified 2014+. Am I wrong about that?

I'm guessing you are talking about the fronts? And, you're saying the OEMs lasted 25k? Amazing.

My rear tires last about 7-9,000 miles, I always bought them from the dealer but no longer, I will need one this fall, but the current one has about 7K on it and is still very good.

A little history lesson for you, the 2013 RT was slated to be the first model with the new 1330 engine, new frame, cooling, components location (like the battery) and all. However something ran amuck and the 1330 was not ready, so they took the redesigned RT and snuggled the 998 into it. This caused other issues. All of that said the 2013 are more similar to the 2014 than the 2012.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Please respect my request to keep this thread free of OPINIONS. This is what ruins serious threads, what makes it so difficult to get to the facts in them, and why I felt compelled to start this one. Please delete this post and save your opinions for one of the many other threads that are almost nothing but. Thank you.

Sorry but the FACT that the Kuhmo has less wet road traction than most other recommended tires and the Yokohama S-Drive that we replace them with for this reason is not an opinion when it has been proven in real world results time and again on the Spyder. Back to back testing on the same bike, time and again, same results. This is first hand knowledge having installed many replacements.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Front wheel size changed from 14 to 15 in 2013. All Spyders since 2008 run the same size rear.

25k from Kenda fronts IF they do not come apart and start delaminating is pretty routine. From what we have seen, less than half live to run out of tread.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame