Spyder Garage

Default Spyder went under water

My spyder was in about 2 feet of water for a day which is about half the bike. Anyone think it can be saved? Our is gone? Any suggestions? Thanks hurracine Harvey.
    Last edited by ozzie; 08-30-2017 at 08:25 PM.
    09 Phanthom

Spyder Garage

As long as the water did not get into the intake system I would dry it out, drain the oil, change the filters and check it over visually. Wheel bearings may or may not need to be replaced. The canister is probably toast but you can eliminate that (not a bad idea anyway). I think you may be ok. I'd sure give it a try unless your insurance will replace it at little or no cost to you.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I saw your post on Facebook and I hope you read the reply from Andy Sant. His Spyder was flooded in Louisiana last year and he replied about his experience. But I think the first thing you should do is contact your insurance company. Let them tell you what you should do.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Not a goner if you dry it out like Ron says Just time for a few fluid/lubrication changes. Lots of bike survive full submersion and are ridden again. But if insurance will buy you a new one.... enjoy..
    I hope that your other possessions weren't submerged as much as the Spyder... Flood cleanup sucks, but it IS recoverable, one step at a time.... Praying for you and your neighbors.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

My 2012 RT was submerged overnight up to the bottom of the bodywork during Hurricane Sandy. The dealer and the insurance company agreed to total it and my 622 trailer, which had water inside. The dealer said the electronics would always be problematic. It started and ran, and I even drove it to the dealer for the insurance inspection. Progressive paid right up, and I didn't lose a dime. Good luck.
    2014 RTS , Spyderpops oversized brake pedal Cognac

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DROWNING

Not a Spyder but similar ... I had a snowmobile go thru the ice up to the top of the seat .... I did kill the engine before it stalled ..... dragged it out ... took it home .... put in warm basement ...dried it out .... two days later , fired it up, put another 10,000 miles on it ..... with no issues .........maybe I was just uber Lucky ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would see first what the insurance company is willing to pay for the bike??

Spyder Garage

IMO--the recommendations to talk with the insurance company first--is the way to go.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

In a major disaster like this, insurance companies are liberal with claims. They will bring adjustors in from around the country and are prone to be very generous with their decisions. They just don't want to be viewed as stingy in an atmosphere of public need.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Spyders & Mrs are not cars.

Just a factual and true quick story.
    Regarding the tsunami that hit Japan a few years.
    Many months after, a Harley washed up on the shores of California. It had spent months in salt water. It was a mess, but on inspection it still started up and the engine ran.
    Bottomline, don't give up hope.
    Like previously stated contact insurance, contact dealer, you may be pleasantly surprised with the result.

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
    My spyder was in about 2 feet of water for a day which is about half the bike. Anyone think it can be saved? Our is gone? Any suggestions? Thanks hurracine Harvey.

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good luck.

Spyder Garage

more importantly i hope your home and all your stuff made out better than your spyder, good luck

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The bike might just be salvageable: call your insurance company!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
    Do not start the vehicle take it to the dealer have them drain all fluids clean gas tank change filters then you can start the vehicle change oil after a week. All my brothers stuff was under water did the above and saved everything generator deep lawn mowers etc. You can probably have the insurance company defray the cost unless you have a high deductable
    Good luck

Spyder Garage

If it's insured, why mess with it? Electrics and electronics are the things that could be unreliable now or in the future. Also rust will show up on parts. Say you do seemingly save it and a year later all sorts of issues pop up. Insurance may balk, saying it was "fine" after the flood since you rode it for x number of months afterward. If insurance will step in now, why say no?

Also, during large disasters insurance adjusters are so used to authorizing large payouts they won't give you a hard time with a smaller one. Years ago, I had what I thought was a large claim when water leaked in my home from my second floor all the way down to my basement. It turns out the adjuster had just returned to the east coast after being sent to California for the earthquake and he even said he was OK-ing everything for me because the claim seemed small in comparison.

Spyder Garage

I would have to agree before you even touch the bike call the insurance company. Yes, insurance can be good but I have also seen many insurance deny claims if you do not specifically have flood insurance. It depends on the insurance company. I would think though if you have flood insurance it would be a no questions asked replacement but if you start playing with the bike they may deny the claim.

Jim
    2012 Can am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Chevy Camaro SS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Unless your State's rules are different from mine: it's not a flood claim.
    Flood insurance is for property coverages. These are motor vehicles. That makes it a comprehensive claim...

Spyder Garage

Ozzie, If your Spyder is totaled by the insurance company, take off the tupperware, billet that's unique to the Phantom, your seat and whatever add ons you have that aren't damaged. Put them on your new Spyder.

If you need Anything, please PM me...
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

I agree, I just know with the natural disasters insurance companies can get finicky especially when it comes to paying out big money. I could be wrong, and lord knows I have been in the past. Just pointing it out just in case.

Jim
    2012 Can am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Chevy Camaro SS

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree

Start with the insurance company. See what you will have to work with. If you go it alone you should have no problem if you follow the advise above. Drip dry and blow dry if you can. Drain the oil, replace the filters and oil, open the air box (it's a pain) but better check nothing foriegn like critters crawled up in there. Pull the battery and charge and check it. Once you reinstall turn the key and get the electical signals needed fire her up...good luck either way... did a lot of water damage clean up (hope the rest of your belongings fared better ) the batman bikes at magic mountain would slide into the moat running and suck water all into the cylinders but I always got them running for the next show..Marvel mystery oil in the cylinders and a lot of rusty water blown out the spark plug holes. Again good luck with all
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

She sure is a beauty. Hope it all works out for you one way or another. Where are you in Tx. I have an Uncle, Aunt, Sister-law, Neice and cousins in and around Houston. So fat they ar all good. As I keep telling everyone if anyplace can recover it would be Texas. Good Luck, My Dad is in Tyler. Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

(I should have asked this earlier... )
    Were the bike's computer systems under water?

That WOULD be a knife in it's heart!

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Question Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by heyharris1 View Post
    I would have to agree before you even touch the bike call the insurance company. Yes, insurance can be good but I have also seen many insurance deny claims if you do not specifically have flood insurance. It depends on the insurance company. I would think though if you have flood insurance it would be a no questions asked replacement but if you start playing with the bike they may deny the claim.

Jim
    Wouldn't it be the motorcycle policy, rather than the home owners, that would pay this claim (in the absence of flood insurance).?

Just curious .... Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder_Cowgirl View Post
    Wouldn't it be the motorcycle policy, rather than the home owners, that would pay this claim (in the absence of flood insurance).?

Just curious .... Ann
    Yes. A claim would be through the vehicle's insurance policy.